January 2021 graduates

Rebecca001

@christine19 it’s interesting because I am reading Food Freedom and in it she gives alternative protocols for resetting based on different circumstances if you didn’t want to do full w30. For sugar cravings she suggests giving up all nuts, nut butter and fruit, which is exactly what I had found- especially during the long lockdown January I certainly replaced my ‘treats’ with nuts and fruit and I feel so much brighter without them. 

I had quite a successful day yesterday but it was really hard while the kids were having their pancakes, and especially as I’ve been reading FFF so I was really in tune to the ‘do I want it?’ And all the mental deliberations. But no, I didn’t want one, didn’t have one! 

today we’re having salmon with citrus glaze from the W30 book- I’d never really cooked much from there but this week I have done more and I must say I have really enjoyed the simplicity of the flavours.  

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Rebecca001 said:

For sugar cravings she suggests giving up all nuts, nut butter and fruit, which is exactly what I had found

I don't have any sugar cravings at all and have also reduced my nut intake since Jan 29 - all those veggies I've committed to eating don't leave much room for nuts. I may try a nut free week to see what happens. Hubs eats a lot of nuts as a snack and I've been making him spiced nuts to eat as a treat. I don't have to eat them though. I need to find my FFF book - I think it's buried or, worse, I lent it to someone long since forgotten.

16 hours ago, christine19 said:

we are discussing buying an air fryer!

Do it - you won't be disappointed. We bought ours after Christmas and use it for everything! I have been very happy with ours. 

17 hours ago, christine19 said:

He is muttering while slicing potatoes and putting them in the oven

LOL - yes, Hubs is missing his nachos, salsa and sour cream. We're fortunate to have partners who support us in these health ventures though. I know of lots of people whose partners refuse to participate and a few who actively try to sabotage. Mine's been amazing though these many W30s even though he has few dietary challenges. Right now he's eating W30 and having beer on the weekends. I decided to surprise him with grain free nachos, salsa and coconut yogurt for a Friday night snack. He can do the SWYPO - I'll be fine without.

So, today is W48 for me - I am just coasting along here already thinking about 10 days from now and what the plan will be after our dinner at my sister's on Day29. I'm thinking I'll move into Paleo - I would like to experiement with SWYPOs and see how I do. Rules are coming - I'll have them ready soon.

Carry on everyone!

I read FFF for the first time in early January, so I should re-read it. I just did a 45 minute Zoom job interview and couldn’t wait to get back into my comfy sweats! I’d have a drink if it wasn’t before noon! Kidding...that shot of tequila last weekend will last me a while. I’m having chicken thighs and crunchy coleslaw for lunch. I do need to focus on less nuts so thanks for the feedback on how that has helped you @Rebecca001and @Lorna from Canada. It’s a sunny day with a break in the winter weather...until snow tomorrow. Happy Hump Day! 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Lorna from Canada said:

Rules are coming - I'll have them ready soon

I'm looking forward to seeing them and glad you've been spending time developing them :) 

I had sushi the other day... Originally I decided to modify my rice rule to be 'no rice at home, sushi is okay' because I don't over eat sushi but I can eat a LOT of rice with meals if I allow myself to.  WELL... definitely going back to the no rice rule for now... I woke up so stiff and achy the next day I could hardly move - and I don't eat soy so it was just rice and fish... did not serve me... at all! 

Otherwise, things have been going well in the WholeDarcy situation. I drink GALLONS of tea in the evening which seems to reduce that wanting to snack feeling... it only comes back to bite me when I have to go to the bathroom 27 times in the night and my cat wants to play ChaseyFace every time I come back to bed (in which she hides around the corner, chases me through the bedroom, wraps her arms around my ankle and play-bites me in the foot, eliciting a play-scream... which I think is her favorite part!)

Last week's meal prep wasn't great - I mean I did it and I ate it all but it wasn't outstanding.  This week was much much better!  I did an egg bake that is legit exactly like eating a bowl of turkey stuffing :wub:, a lime/maple pork roast and turned the drippings into a salad dressing to have on romaine and the mushrooms/artichoke salmon from Whole30recipes on instagram but I did chicken instead and made up my own Citrus Herb seasoning because we can't get The New Primal seasonings here.  

Anyway, that's the update from here - I've been reading all your posts and following along and I'm so proud of everyone for blazing the trail that works best for each individual context and the support that this group continues to provide to each other! <3 

I’m ruminating on my rules as well. I don’t really know where I will end up with them. I currently don’t really want anything, maybe I will in another 25 days though! I didn’t reintroduce last time in any formal fashion, I just waited until something came my way that I couldn’t resist. I think I’ll probably do that this time as well. However, and this is becoming quite apparent to me these last few days- I think when/if I get to that stage where although my food is 100% compliant, it’s not ‘in control’ (as in grabbing handfuls of nuts and eating lots of dates for example) then I maybe need to recognise that perhaps that’s when I should try a reintroduction or allow myself something non-compliant.

I think my rules need to include some sort of caveat (and yes, quite frankly, a bit of work on myself) that this is ok. Thing is, after years and years of feeling so powerless around food, I am feeling so good right now that I don’t want to have something that I don’t really want- should I make myself want it? (After this round of 30 of course) 

I’m feeling good today and feel quite ‘set’ in my new regime now; I’ve been piling my plates high at meals but other than that, no snacks or nibbles of anything. I had a citrus glazed fish for dinner and it was so delicious (just orange juice and zest and ginger, reduced down to a thick sauce) with steamed green veg. 

Happy Friday everyone! I've spent most of the afternoon completing my 2020 books for my accountant - ohhhh, FUN! Woo Hoo! I have mild dyscalculia which plagues me with anything numeric to this day. Doing my books is an exercise in mental exhaustion. I was craving something sweet every time I transcribed 1897.30 as 1983.70 (or similar) today. Maddening. Then I was out $11.73 on my HST calculation - my brain says "close enough" but I dare say my accountant wouldn't see it that way. I spent an hour rummaging around with pen and paper trying to source the error only to discover that I had built an excel table last year for this very problem and only needed to (correctly) plunk in the numbers and it would all correct itself like magic. Now I want chocolate and wine... hmmm, emotional eating is a thing. Instead, I came here to plop it all down in front of your eyes and now I will go off to find my pot of tea and begin making dinner.

Hope you are wrapping up successful weeks and are looking forward to some down time on the weekend. Final W30 weekend for me - tempting to just crack open that lovely chardonnay in the fridge but I will persevere. Wine will wait.

Cheers

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Lorna from Canada said:

Instead, I came here to plop it all down in front of your eyes and now I will go off to find my pot of tea and begin making dinner

And that is what we are here for! Accounting is highly frustrating and I am in awe of people who choose to do it as their living... I can't imagine!

Chocolate and wine won't erase the $11.73 hour ;)

Happy Saturday! Woke up to more snow for this seemingly endless winter! I have decided to do a “modified” nut elimination. My husband used to eat a lot of cashews (from a big jar on the counter) and we realized it gave him inflammation and pain in his hands, so we replaced them with pistachios. But I think they are problematic for me as far as weight loss (and maybe digestion too?) They have a higher carb count per serving 8g versus 5g for almonds. In the past, I’ve avoided them, but with no grains for Whole30, I ate quite a bit of them. Even with the shell on I can move through them pretty fast! So I’m going to just remove pistachios and keep eating almonds (walnuts and pecans I eat in smaller doses). Kind of a reverse reintroduction I guess, keeping everything the same and just eliminating pistachios. I haven’t eaten them for 2 days.

I have a doctors appointment on Thursday, it is virtual but she is going to ask my weight, so....I’m probably going to get on the scale that morning - or I could make up a number and tell her that! :D

hope everyone is having a good weekend! 

@Lorna from Canadagood going on the spreadsheet. I am similar, I hate doing my budget and have taught myself excel for my job, so now I have a zippy little spreadsheet that totals and transfers and carries over and all sorts! 
Having a good week here, I definitely needed to switch off from work for this half term break and I feel much better for it. Only problem being our freezing weather has moved over and in its place is wet, drizzle, grey and windy- horrible. I had a few days off from running to rest my legs and I have done yoga every day by the fire and feel quite recuperated. My food has really been good; just my three meals each day, no snacking or nibbling. No fruit except with meals. Loads of veg. I have been tempted but if it’s not meal time I’m just telling myself I can have it with dinner/lunch etc. And often then not having whatever it was I was tempted by. 

My menu is planned and shopping done this morning for the week. My little challenge to myself this week is tackling my boring breakfast/lunch routine- I cook such varied things at dinner but lunch is always salad, salad, egg, mackerel, salad, salad <yawn> so this week I’m planning a new dressing, plus aiming to eat hot food at lunch which will force a bit of variety (or at least leftovers, which I’m cool with), plus some ‘make in advance breakfast boxes’ with sweet potato, boiled egg, and turkey meatball ‘sausages’ hat hopefully I can make several of and then they will keep a few days. 

I’m not 100% on strict w30, this is definitely still reintroduction/food freedom phase and that’s ok with me. I had a glass (singular) of red wine last night and felt so off this morning, headache and generally quite hungover, and I actually think it’s rapidly making its way into my ‘not worth it’ list, which I’m sad about because I do like a glass and I don’t really like anything else. 

And I still haven’t weighed myself, although I am getting quite tempted and especially so after a very good week. 

4 hours ago, Rebecca001 said:

I had a glass (singular) of red wine last night and felt so off this morning, headache and generally quite hungover, and I actually think it’s rapidly making its way into my ‘not worth it’ list, which I’m sad about because I do like a glass and I don’t really like anything else. 

It took me two days to get over that one shot of tequila. I’m afraid to drink red wine, and if I open a bottle it’s too many glasses to save or finish. Before it was no problem giving my husband a glass and finishing the rest of the bottle! I am thinking about having a can of Truly hard seltzer tonight to see how that goes. 

Tricky isn’t it? More so than food I think, in many ways. I think I would genuinely miss having a glass of wine at times, and I also wonder if it would spoil events knowing that there would be unpleasant consequences to indulging (because that’s the alternative outcome of reintroduction  isn’t it? To say 99% of the time it’s not worth it but occasionally it is worth the consequences and then suffer them?) 

I wonder if for me it’s the alcohol or the sulphites? Or both? interesting anyway, and food for thought. I’m drinking sparkling water tonight at least! 

Oh boy - I'm here with this wine discussion.

On one hand, I already know what wine does to me thanks to previous reintroductions.  I wake up at 3AM with anxiety that keeps me awake for 90 minutes then feel like crap the next day. I know the science behind it (Gaba production and glutamate suppression and rebound - it's fascinating if you're interested in that kind of thing) and I know from previous reintros that I am super sensitive to that rebound in that I have it after one glass of wine not 3 or 4 like most people. 

On the flip side, I'm an oenophile with extensive education in wine. I've travelled the world visiting vineyards and vintners taking courses and developing my wine knowledge. It's been a passion for many years. I have a very expensive cellar filled with some amazing bottles of wine. I love a lot of things but I love all of them better with a glass of wine in my hands :( 

The thought of never drinking wine again is untenable.

The thought of returning to anxiety fuelled 3AMs and their aftermath after many weeks of deep, restful sleep and anxiety free days is untenable.

This is the one and only issue for my Rules that I can't yet come to terms with. I have avoided really thinking about this since my last W30 when I stopped my W30 to share a bottle of wine with my mom on a glorious spring day in May after she received the news that she had a brain tumour. But, that was 2 years ago and the decision is here to be made again. I'm avoiding it by staying on the W30 but it is coming for me.

Oh boy -

My Truly Hard Seltzer test went well. I only had one can and they have 100 calories and 1g sugar. My other choices in the “booze fridge” in the basement were hard cider (18g sugar!) and white sangria (22g sugar!) usually I mix the sangria with seltzer but I wasn’t ready for that sugar rush. I need a few cans to get a buzz where wine would make me loopy right away.  I didn’t have a headache or sleepiness (like with the tequila). However I woke up a little sweaty in the middle of the night, which is not normal for me, so I am attributing it to that. 

We smoked a bunch of  chicken legs yesterday and I’m going to make meat and sausage tomato sauce with spaghetti squash today so I should have food for a few days since I bought a bunch of raw veg for salad. Also made a new recipe, a  very simple sweet potato hash for breakfast. Delicious!

https://www.healthyseasonalrecipes.com/sweet-potato-breakfast-hash/

@Lorna from Canada that is a dilemma isn’t it? I think for me it will be a ‘not (always) worth it’ and may occasionally stay on the menu. It’s odd because i reintroduced it last time no trouble, and actually even as recently as Christmas I was drinking it happily and just accepting a little hangover. But this time it feels really counter productive. Which I suppose is a sign that I’m making good strides with my health this time... I don’t know. I have rosacea on my cheeks which also seems to be aggravated by red wine as well, another reason to avoid it. I don’t seem to have as many issues with white wine, so maybe I can include white and only red on special special occasions when I accept the hangover the next day. There is however half a bottle of chianti open in our kitchen because James didn’t finish it last night and that’s quite tempting as well! Old habits die hard, don’t they?! 

I’ve had a really good weekend, I’m sticking very efficiently to my meal plans and my 3 meals a day. Today I made tuna and sardines fishcakes and a chilli and orange dressing, plus I have boxed up 3 full roast dinners (small portions) for my lunches/breakfasts this week. Tomorrow we will hopefully find out our ‘roadmap’ out of lockdown and that will be very welcome news for the UK. But in a way I am apprehensive about ‘real life’ returning and my ability to stay focussed when suddenly everything is open again. 
I very nearly weighed myself today, but decided not to at the last minute. I am thinking maybe Friday though. 

have a great week ahead! 

• Moderators

It's interesting hearing/reading this wine discussion.  I'm not a big drinker in general but previously did like to indulge in a bottle (or two) of wine with a friend or my sister on a sleepover night. And then I started to realize that usually within the first half a glass, I would get an aching headache that hung out down the left side of the back of my neck... it would pierce up behind my ear and generally make whatever fun we were having almost unbearable in that I wanted to take a handful of pain killers and go to bed... I want to say this never use to be a problem for me but it's possible that I just didn't put the two things together and it's always been a problem. So Ive switched my minimal drinking to craft beer and craft distilled hard liquor which doesn't affect me adversely like wine apparently does... total bummer because I have a wine fridge full of the good stuff but I'm sure @ladyshannywill work on taking that off my hands ;) 

@SugarcubeOD I agree, I find with red wine the hangover actually starts as soon as I drink it. I was ok with white though so I will probably try that again to really test it out! 

I’m feeling good today- despite not sleeping well this weekend- and was really feeling the flickering of tiger blood this afternoon! My 3 meals a day is going very well and I actually look noticeably slimmer and more muscular all of a sudden! 

NSV alert! I have several cardio kickboxing videos for my workouts and they always have one or two that do the modified low-impact versions for the parts where there is  running, hopping or jumping jacks. Lately, I have been able to do it all with NO knee or ankle pain. Zero! Plus, I was having an issue with my right hip when lying in bed at night, I would start on that side and then have to flip over before I fell asleep. I realized today when I woke up on the right side that I can’t remember the last time I had the pain in my hip! Feeling a little stronger too. Yay!

@christine19 wow that’s some good NSVs! Especially the hip, because that will improve your sleep as well so that’s multi faceted. 

I’ve been SO HUNGRY today, literally from the moment I woke up. I ate breakfast, then a huge dinner (I had two small leftover portions of a dinner, and I ate both!) and have just had a big evening meal as well. It coincides with me thinking I was looking quite skinny, so maybe that’s my body saying ‘nope, feed me!’ - but honestly I could have eaten all day if I’d let myself. I have stuck to my 3 meals though, even though they’ve been massive, and I did have some pineapple that was left from cooking dinner after my meal as well. 

I’m not sleeping well at the moment; struggling to get to sleep (tiger blood I think, I felt it pumping around me last night) and then when I check my Fitbit in the morning I’ll have had ridiculous small amounts of deep sleep, like 12 minutes all night. I also have an unusual type of insomnia where I fall deep asleep for only a few minutes, then wake immediately and feel wide awake for hours, or even worse, I dream that I can’t sleep (I know, cruel right?!) and I’ve had that a fair bit the last week or so. I don’t know what causes it but it gets very wearing after a few weeks. It’s the one thing that’s never really improved consistently for me in all my W30 days 

we were given our roadmap out of lockdown last night, and I must admit I feel a bit anxious about resuming normal life. I can feel my mother in law thumbing through her empty diary already, desperate to book us in to bbqs and family gatherings (big family of husband) and suddenly my nice little ‘food bubble’ could be under threat. Even more reason to get those rules done, and establish my ‘not worth it’ list! 

5 hours ago, Rebecca001 said:

I’m not sleeping well at the moment; struggling to get to sleep (tiger blood I think, I felt it pumping around me last night) and then when I check my Fitbit in the morning I’ll have had ridiculous small amounts of deep sleep, like 12 minutes all night. I also have an unusual type of insomnia where I fall deep asleep for only a few minutes, then wake immediately and feel wide awake for hours,

@Rebecca001i know you are trying not to snack, but maybe you are hungry and that is what is keeping you awake? How about a cup of chamomile tea or warm almond milk and a small protein and carb snack before bed? Sounds like you are really active so maybe you are burning up those calories! 

I was a bit better today, I ate more protein at my breakfast and added extra veg to my lunch. I don’t think it is hunger causing my sleeping issue as I have always had intermittent insomnia and it does come in ‘waves’ but I certainly have noticed that it gets worse when I’m all hyper on the tiger blood, which is definitely increased when I eat less....so who knows?? 
anyway, i’’ve had another good day today, my food’s been really good and again, no grazing or snacking. Made a really nice bbq sauce which I had with pork steaks and salad, and I have prepped some things for the next few days - boiled eggs, turkey meatballs, some roasted carrots in citrus glaze and a potato/mayo salad- which I will have for my breakfasts and lunches over the next few days 

Well - I fell out of W30 yesterday thanks to a rather violent gastritis that started on Sunday. I was starting to come around yesterday but felt completely depleted and still unable to tolerate solid foods so a few bottles of Gatorade were in order.  I realize that sugar in medicine is okay and that Gatorade was a quick hit of the electrolytes I needed so, I could carry on with W30 but I was planning to been done on Friday so a few more days wouldn't make or break me. Today the only thing I wanted to eat was oatmeal (I already know I tolerate it from previous W30s - gluten free grains are okay for me) so, I'm truly off now. W55 is in the bag! No need for reintroductions - I've done that thoroughly on previous W30s and have discovered what I need to know.

So - what is next?  I have completed my WholeLorna exercise - it's a 3 page essay outlining all of my food decisions related to the 4 central tenets. I focussed primarily on Healthy Psychological response - many emotional eating challenges there but also some room for self-compassion around choices made. I've also built in allowance to not be "that person" who has so many food challenges that you can't feed them. When my sister makes me carrot cake it's because she knows it's my favorite and she has no capacity to show love beyond food. I've worked very hard to have a relationship with my sister (I have 4 siblings and have relationships with just 2 of them so this is worth it). 

The other key in my WholeLorna is allowing myself access to corn, oats, wine and yogurt - I know wine will give me anxiety so, like all of you ( @Rebecca001 @christine19 @SugarcubeOD), I will drink it knowing what the price will be and will decide if it is worth it in the moment. The other 3 work okay for me. 

Finally - the problem children. I stopped eating legumes and most dairy after my first W30 so, those won't resume. I also have eaten whole for many years - I cook everything we eat from scratch with rare exceptions so processed foods won't find their way back. However, the other challenges are:

• wheat - I will avoid this unless I am making pizza (alternative grain pizza crusts or, worse, cauliflower, are full on, 100% ghastly SWYPO for me) which happens a couple of times a year. I will not worry about gluten in other people's cooking when I am a guest in their homes (that's going to be a thing again, right?). I am going to resist bread - I could eat a loaf in one sitting if it's gorgeous enough.
  • cheese - see pizza above + as a rare addition to 2 particular meals that we have infrequently.
  • sugar - this I will avoid like the plague - it's my Achilles heel. 

Finally, WholeLorna returns to W30 when the rules start getting a little loosey goosey - I suspect I'll be back in May. May, September and January seem like perfect reset times.

So - a recovery day from a crappy illness and hoping for feeling better tomorrow. 

9 hours ago, Lorna from Canada said:

W55 is in the bag! No need for reintroductions - I've done that thoroughly on previous W30s and have discovered what I need to know.

Congrats on completing your Whole55 @Lorna from Canada!!!! Sorry you are not feeling well, hopefully on the mend and can partake in wine soon. :) You have really done a comprehensive analysis for your food behaviors and decisions, lots of emotions there. Very impressive. 

9 hours ago, Lorna from Canada said:

when the rules start getting a little loosey goosey

This is my issue...I’d like to get to that food freedom place, but I continue to find more and more things are or turn into “food with no brakes.” But it is hard to be so restrictive long term as I am “that person”  that is hard to feed. Right now I am focusing on reducing portions, limiting snacks and I’m feeling better since I stopped eating pistachios! 

Do you think though that food just becomes ‘food with no brakes’ when we start eating them (either consciously or unconsciously) without our foot on the pedal so to speak? So eg. I found that my daily dried fruit and nut, nutritious post- run mini meal was becoming a daily ‘sweet fix and crunchy carby treat’  and therefore relegated them to the FWNB pile (for now)- but I suppose in doing that what I really should have done was look at why  I was taking, or at least allowing, my foot off the pedal in these situations. In reality everything can become a FWNB if you never think about the brakes. I envisage that I could easily eliminate every single food one by one until there was nothing left, but that’s why we actually have to look really closely at the emotional side of it. That’s why I am including in my FFF rules (haven’t finalised it yet) that when I get to the stage where I’m experiencing no brakes, I need to find out why and actually eat what I actually want if it’s food. Is it better to eat eg. 1 chocolate bar and savour it, or nuts, dates, mango, banana smoothie, and a few more nuts in a big frenzy? That’s what I need to work on, recognise and fit into my rules. And allow myself to do it with no payback or guilt (I talk the big talk, I’m not really there yet) 

someone once said to me “if you can’t stop eating, you need to find out what’s eating you”  and it really resonated with me, and I guess applies here too- if I’m experiencing “no brakes” then why? Because any food can, and does for all of us, become FWNB when we eat it to change the way we feel. I think deep down a lot of us are here because of our emotional relationship with food, and yes while W30 smashes the nutritional relationship, it can leave the emotions dangling a bit unless we really do the hard thinking/looking into ourselves which I think comes in subsequent rounds and is the significantly harder element of it. I think that’s why the SWYPO thing is so important too, because really they are a sticking plaster for an emotional need aren’t they?  

great work @Lorna from Canada, I hope you’ll stick around though for moral support!! 

3 hours ago, christine19 said:

more and more things are or turn into “food with no brakes.” But it is hard to be so restrictive long term as I am “that person”  that is hard to feed. 

I agree with every word. The need to explore our emotional connection to food and the patterns of automatic behaviour that are associated with those foods is paramount and very difficult. 

I think the W30 FWNB idea is related specifically to the out of control eating that supernormally stimulating processed Frankenfoods are designed to trap us into doing. Those food are designed to bypass feelings of satiation which is the mechanism that tells us we've had enough.  For me, a chocolate bar couldn't replace dates/nuts/coconut because I will always want more chocolate after one bar and, if there is more available - even so far as going to the market to get more, I'm absolutely going to eat that too. Once I've eaten the dates/nuts/coconut, I'm sated and feel too full to eat more of, well, anything. 

But I overeat a lot of W30 compliant foods out of some deeper 'need' and not from hunger. For example, I cannot stop eating raisins once I've started - I will eat 2 cups in a sitting. Technically W30 compliant and not a FWNB but, I have no brakes when I eat them. I think the emotional eating thing is less about the food having no brakes and more about us having no brakes. And that expression: 

1 hour ago, Rebecca001 said:

“if you can’t stop eating, you need to find out what’s eating you”

is easier said than done. I know when my mom got sick, I reverted to a ton of challenging eating behaviours that had been packed up nicely and sent off to the attic for years and years and years. I felt like how I was eating was an out of body experience - I was watching myself do it somewhat helplessly. Strange times. Then the pandemic hit and another variety of strange eating habits erupted. It wasn't until Christmas time that the need to get back to myself was even accessible - I couldn't have done a W30 earlier than January 1 because of where my head was at. Such a strange time but indicative of the power of our minds and the power of habit. If I want the benefits of W30 (and I do!) then I have to stay W30 and trust the process.

In other news - I woke up with right hip pain from my SI joint for the first time in 7 weeks! I can only think it had to be the oatmeal as that's the only thing that is different. So much for not needing a reintro period. Needless to say, I am off oatmeal again and am back on W30 for a few days to see if this settles. I am aggravated this week.

Ouch, that’s not good @Lorna from Canada, hope that won’t set you back too much and will go as soon as it arrived once you reset. 

I suppose the FWNB thing is that, if I use food to ‘solve’ a non food problem (like a dilemma at work, or feeling unhappy, or hormones) then any food could have no brakes, because the brakes I’m applying aren’t from satiety or being nourished, they are emotional brakes- so unless eating (the whole jar of) almond butter resolves the mistake I made at work or makes my kids behave better, they aren’t going to apply themselves no matter how satisfying/nourishing/compliant  the food is.

I guess my point is that rather than me condemning perfectly innocent foods to the FWNB list forever, there comes a point where I’m forced to actually look at the braking mechanism itself and resolve the issue. And of course, that isn’t easy, or easily resolvable (like your poor mum and you, or the many other real tragedies we have to deal with in life) - but we can’t say that we only eat that way or turn to food in those extremes of circumstances. I find W30 really does help me apply those brakes, possibly partly because I feel so emotionally strong generally when I’m on it. But FFF rules aren’t so strict and it’s real life isn’t it- it’s given me a lot to think about because for me, a bit like Christine said above, I am moving more and more things to the ‘never’ pile and maybe not dealing with the real issue which is why they invoke the response. And for me, a big part of it is if I eat with no brakes on compliant food x, would I not have been better to have non-compliant food z and eaten it with some degree of self control. Would that make me feel better or worse? I don’t know as I haven’t tried it! 

(although Melissa talks about Cadbury creme eggs a lot and I live only a few miles from Cadbury, we do chocolate well here.... so with Easter coming up.... maybe that’s when I should try out my theory!!) 

also one thing I don’t have that you ladies seem to have,  is any pressure to eat from anyone. I don’t care if I’m ‘that person’, I will happily not eat at a party, or take my own food or say no to things. That must be a tremendous pressure for you both and certainly adds a new dimension. 

Archived