January 2021 graduates

Rebecca001

26 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Please let me know how the salsa stew turns out, it's on my meal plan for next week ;) 

@SugarcubeODit was delicious! I used sweet potatoes, 4 hours on high in the slow cooker and just omitted the cilantro. Chicken was very tender and the potatoes didn’t completely fall apart and also thickened the sauce. Yummy and hearty for a cold day! 

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/3/2021 at 2:01 AM, Rebecca001 said:

I only started running in 2017 (actually 1st Jan 2018) and before that I did nothing physical at all (in fact I smoked, drank, was a bit Post natal depressed and was about 4 stone heavier!) and even now I cannot believe how well I feel now.

Wow @Rebecca001 that is fantastic! Good for you, that is a major change? Did you change your diet before you started running, or after? 

• Moderators
16 hours ago, christine19 said:

@SugarcubeODit was delicious! I used sweet potatoes, 4 hours on high in the slow cooker and just omitted the cilantro. Chicken was very tender and the potatoes didn’t completely fall apart and also thickened the sauce. Yummy and hearty for a cold day! 

Awesome, thank you! I wrote the meal plan in pen so I was hoping you said that! ;)

It was so beautiful on my drive to work this morning! There was a gorgeous blazing orange sunrise in my rear view mirror as I drove west and all the farms that I've missed because it's been dark on my drives were beautiful as the sun came up!

I just discovered this morning that I'm down another belt hole for a total of 3 down since mid January. :D 

In other also great news, I'm getting my Covid19 vaccination today as a healthcare employee (not front line or acute patient care but in an acute hospital setting). Has anyone else gotten theirs? Are you guys going to?

I’m a fair way off getting my vaccine. UK aren’t prioritising front line except medical and care Homes, but we are getting through the age brackets. To be honest as I have had Covid I don’t feel too concerned that I could get it again, but yes I will have the vaccine when it’s finally my turn. 

@christine19 I had always been ‘on a diet’ doing eg. Slimming world and weight watchers, but in January 2018 I read The blood sugar diet which is a high fat/low carb Mediterranean style diet that focuses on calorie reduction and fasting as well. I went from 13 st 6 to around 11 stone doing that and started running at the same time (originally committing  to 10 mins a day every day in that January- which at the time seemed an unachievable goal, I was so unfit!). Last July I just got to the point where I wanted freedom from calorie maths and I really needed that lifelong way of eating rather than ‘diet’ mentality which is what brought me to W30. I have lost around a stone since then I think but as you know, it stops being about that doesn’t it? Which is good for me as my life has been about the numbers a lot. plus I look very lean these days- but those big muscles (quads, hamstrings, glutes) weigh a lot! 

I like the paleo lifestyle, it’s very similar to those keto/Mediterranean plans and there’s a lot of crossover and this time I genuinely think this is the one for me. 
I am a bit concerned about how I will manage when lockdown ends and suddenly ‘public food’ becomes a thing again though. 

Good morning. I am so glad to see the back of last week. It dragged on and on and seemed never ending! Glad it’s Saturday. We had a glass or two of red wine last night and as a result I didn’t sleep brilliantly, but then I haven’t all week so it may not be the wine. I’m going food shopping today as the cupboards are Bare and I’ve had that annoying scenario a few times the last few days where there is nothing in the house I can eat. 

aside from that I feel good today. Momentarily considered a weigh in but recognised that ‘ding ding’ - you’re using the scale to change the way you feel, step away! - which is a big thing for me. 

no run today but I’m planning a day of chores and a hiit workout and then later on I’ll do a lovely long yoga session by the fire. we return to school full time next week (my kids have been anyway, but my teen daughter returns to college and I will be based in school instead of at my table) and I have 1000 Covid tests to administrate alongside my normal role so next week will be a stinker. Prep will be key for me; I’m going to make tubs of cauli rice, sweet potato, and meatballs which I will ‘mix and match’ into my breakfast and lunch 

also, I made guacamole for the first time this week and oh wow, that’s very dh my featuring in my menu this week!! 

have a great day 

Also, I took a supplement this week which I had been reading about while researching running. I’d been getting a lot of heavy lactic acid buildup in my knees and happened upon a collagen supplement and an amino acid supplement (I found it weird that I might need that given our diet here, but anyway) so I researched both and bought some. Anyway. The amino acid seems to be very good, I take one before and after each run. The collagen was super weird, it really did make me feel bizarre, so much so that I have stopped taking it to see if the weirdness stops. You see a lot of people on here listing collagen peptides in their diets so I just wondered if anyone had had that experience while taking them? 

@Rebecca001 I’ve never used collagen so can’t speak to that, any time I had leg cramps, for me I’m usually low on potassium so I would take that. 

We had a good day trip to see my family Saturday and the catering for the party had enough choices, so I didn’t feel deprived. I had salad (brought my own dressing), roast beef, potatoes and vegetables. Splurged on prosciutto and just one piece of salami (probably the only thing that had sugar in it). I had two white wine spritzers since my husband offered to drive the 3 hours back home! 

On 3/4/2021 at 10:31 AM, SugarcubeOD said:

In other also great news, I'm getting my Covid19 vaccination today as a healthcare employee (not front line or acute patient care but in an acute hospital setting). Has anyone else gotten theirs? Are you guys going to?

I live in Connecticut and they just moved to age-based system plus teachers. My husband is eligible and I will be in a few weeks so we should be set by April. Mostly everyone in our family that is older or healthcare roles are already vaccinated or in process so making good progress, even though every state is different with their guidelines and timeline. 

I’ve had a really productive day today. I did a long run (22km) and then this afternoon I have been a prepping whizz and have made: a red cabbage slaw, a cauli rice, a box of carrot sticks, a box of sweet potato cubes, and 4 scotch eggs (they are massive, easily a meal on their own), plus I boxed up 3 roast dinners as well. So that is my breakfast and lunch sorted for the week ahead- much needed as I will be in school 5 days this week for the first time this year, and in every week (not alternated) for the first time since October. I envisage I will eat breakfast at home, then have lunch when I return at 1.30 each day but having it all there prepared will be so helpful and will prevent me from eating my lunch standing at the fridge, or from having egg and mackerel every day (yawn) 

I’m feeling tired today, I am finding the weekends just not as restful as I need them to be and I think drinking has a part to play in that: we stay up later, don’t sleep brilliantly, and then wake normal time so actually get less sleep at W/ends. A few early nights this week are definitely in order. 

On the whole though, I’m starting the week feeling positive which is great as we’re coming into a period of change and upheaval now with relaxing of lockdown beginning tomorrow. 

2 hours ago, Rebecca001 said:

4 scotch eggs (they are massive, easily a meal on their own),

@Rebecca001How do you make your scotch eggs? All the recipes I’ve seen have flour.  Great job on the run and looks like you are ready for the week!

I agree on the drinking, I had more than expected to yesterday and didn’t sleep well. And I haven’t even had any wine not diluted with seltzer water and ice cubes! 

I made pork chops for dinner with balsamic mushrooms, onions and peppers with a side of arugula. I have chicken and shrimp to grill, plus a lot of different lettuces plus salad fixings so planning for a lighter week of meals. 

@christine19 they were so easy! Boil and peel some eggs, then I used 15% fat pork mince and seasoned it, and knead it with your hands so it’s not ‘mince’ any more but ‘purée’ (you could use a food processor) then get a handful of the meat and squash it into a round, put the egg in the middle and then use your hands to smooth the meat around, it is easier than it sounds. I made some seasoned coating with ground almond, coconut flour, and some milled flax and seasoning, and then sort of rolled the egg around in it to coat it. Then oven baked them, turn them a few times. 

• Moderators
18 hours ago, christine19 said:

How do you make your scotch eggs? All the recipes I’ve seen have flour.

when I make them I use Mel Joulwan's recipe (but leave off the crust)

http://meljoulwan.com/2010/05/17/scotch-eggs-a-k-a-protein-pellets/

Also, 'pellet' seems like an off choice of word since like @Rebecca001said, they're HUGE.

I have seen a recipe with crushed up pork rinds as a crust, but we can’t get pork rinds here that doesn’t have msg in it and it seemed rather an effort to cook pork just for that purpose 

they must be good because I got in from work today and my husband was eating one and he normally avoids my ‘diet food’ !! 

it was actually the well fed cookbook that inspired me so great minds think alike @SugarcubeOD
I would say though, don’t use large eggs, i’d use the smaller ones of the box if you can because they really are big. They slice in half well though but that does mean you have to share :D

Thanks for the scotch egg tips @Rebecca001and @SugarcubeOD.  I’ll get some pork the next time I go for groceries. I like the crust idea so maybe I’ll do almond flour as I need to buy more of that as well. I made some crackers last week with just almond flour, egg and spices and I finished them on our Saturday drive, so I want to bake some more! 

I’m struggling a bit these last few days. I was finding myself feeling more and more tired and battling the sugar dragon a bit, then doing that annoying thing where I eat every single other thing available except sugar, (and obviously it does nothing for the dragon!) and so I went back to my rules where I did say that I would, if I found myself doing that, allow a non-compliant treat and really enjoy it. So I did; I had some milK chocolate. It was nice. It was a bit greasier than I remembered and not as rich and very sweet! It gave a weird sugar headache almost instantly which wasn’t great, 

anyway, cue a really rubbish night. I couldn’t get to sleep, I woke several times early in the night and at 1am I woke up so drenched in sweat I had to change my clothes. Then today I’ve felt really flat and ‘meh’ with a dull headache. And today I could quite frankly eat anything and everything. Several times I’ve thought about having more sugar/choc and had to remind myself that I’ve felt rubbish all day. 
So I think what we learn from this is that it’s probably not really worth it. It’s a shame actually because it did actually serve its purpose in one sense in that it stopped me rattling round the kitchen scavenging for goodies and instead I just sat and ate that one thing but unfortunately the side effects weren’t pleasant. 

I cooked up a tray of chicken thighs when I got in from work so there is at least something compliant to see me through the evening. Not sure what’s for dinner tonight as I am running at 6.30 with my friend so I may just have chicken/salad for dinner after that.

It’s been springlike here and the snow is almost melted, so my mood has improved as I’ve been outside more. Three days in a row I jogged up and down my long driveway (cannot be classified as running!) which is a big hill so it’s a nice workout. And my knees and hips don’t hurt one bit! Of course the rest of my legs do....LOL. 

Would be interesting to know if it is one food or all the missing food but I’m just so happy to not have knee pain or that hip pain when lying in bed. The only thing non-compliant things I’ve had since January 1 is stevia (which tastes terrible), hard seltzer, white wine and that one shot of tequila. I just bought more wine but at least I know I can tolerate it.  Even the hard seltzer though it has sugar has an “off” taste to me, so I’ll stick with making my own white wine spritzers. And I’ve been still eating quite a bit of almonds and almond butter and some fruit, but only apples, grapes clementines and raisins (which I mix with nuts for trail mix). I bought a box of grain-free crackers with really just almond and coconut flour. I really feel like I’m in a pretty good place with the food and just need to watch the fruit, nuts and wine closely, but if I increase my workouts then hopefully I’ll continue to lose some weight (last few times on the scale annoyed me, so I’m avoiding it....for now)  as I just got into a pair of jeans I couldn’t wear YAY 

Great news on the running and the jeans! Well done! 

today I felt pretty rubbish. I was given a nice box of chocolates at work for helping with our Covid testing programme and after my having had some this week, honestly - they tortured me all morning. I’ve let the kids have some but the remainder is still there and I feel quite weak in it’s presence; I am repeatedly thinking ‘oooh chocolate’ then immediately going ‘nope’ (I’ve done this probably 20 times today) . I suppose in the interests of reintro I could have some although since having it before I’ve had quite a few unpleasant side effects - bad stomach, really hard work running, flare up of my ‘Covid toes’ and today a flare up in my toe/bunion pain which I have not had since July. I had a lot of tension in my ankles, so much so that I had a bath this afternoon and used the effect of the hot water to crack all my joints and try and loosen them up (horrible, I know!) - so I don’t really think I need to try it again to be sure, really. Dairy is not for me! 

I am also really tired, this week has gone on forever and I need a good nights sleep! My dinner was amazing tonight; I did mash potato with a chicken casserole type thing with lots of veg, then drizzled a salsa verde over the top- it was so delicious! 

Sorry you have been feeling rubbish @Rebecca001 I’ve been hearing a lot lately about COVID long-term effects. My sister in law has been recovering for several months and is just getting ready to return to work at a hospital. Hopefully your healthy eating will stave off any issues with inflammation.

I went grocery shopping yesterday, I’ve pretty much out of my pandemic stockpile in the freezer, it’s just amazing how fast we go through meat and produce when that’s all we eat. I baked a nice wild fresh piece of cod last night with a macadamia and almond topping and some roasted broccoli and cauliflower rice for me. I made jasmine rice for my husband, I still have a huge bag of it from last year. I thought, should I try some? After nearly 3 months, it’s really not worth it, it wasn’t a special occasion, just a Thursday night! I’d rather drink wine :D Tonight I am roasting two spaghetti squash and making a big batch of ground meat and sausage with tomato sauce to go with. The recipe for the spaghetti squash in Well Fed is the best, I always prepare it that way, makes the squash very stringy like real spaghetti. My husband actually loves it so I make a lot, he doesn’t like zucchini noodles which I love to use also. 

Thanks @christine19, I have been reading about Covid flare ups being linked to menstrual cycle and it does seem that there is increasing evidence that there is a link. I looked back through my notebook and it happening at this time every month so I will continue to monitor. 

the inflammation is pure dairy related I think! but also, I mustn’t moan about it really: that’s the purpose of reintroducing isn’t it, and now I know. The sugar dragon was a bit calmer today although my foot was still painful. 

wtiting my shopping list now for the week ahead, I feel like I need some inspiration in my menu this week! 

Saturday morning here. I’m about to head out early to the supermarket as there isn’t really anything I can eat in the house. I feel strangely good today, I actually expected to feel tired and a bit bleurgh this morning as we went to bed later than I wanted and I drank 3 glasses of red last night. I don’t intend to drink tonight as we’ve crept up into drinking more regularly again and it doesn’t help me really. 

I have been doing a 28 day fitness bootcamp on YouTube (sort of a weighted high intensity intervals thing) and it is fierce, however after only 3 sessions I noticed last night a muscle definition I’d never seen before. However I am feeling the Muscle soreness today! Session 4 today but no run, and I might try and get a yoga session in as well. I really need to do some housework today as well.

further symptoms of dairy consumption: I have developed a few really sore, almost cystic, spots on my hairline, I think the combination of dairy and hormones. My foot isn’t as sore  however it is particularly aggravated by my running trainers so hurt when I ran yesterday. The sugar dragon has hopefully calmed himself back down. 

have a great Saturday! 

Haven’t posted for a few days so here’s my update: things going ok (ish) . I struggled last week as my period was due and this week I have not been especially well planned and by weds it has shown. This morning there was literally nothing to eat so on my way to work I stopped at a small shop and bought the only things compliant (a bag of carrot sticks, some nuts and some grapes) so I grazed on those all morning instead of eating a proper meal. 
All that being said, I actually feel quite skinny at the moment. I’ve been doing quite a fierce bootcamp workout 28 days challenge (I’m on day 10) and just did my measurements and I’ve lost 3cm around my middle in 10 days which I’m pleased with as I don’t really carry any fat there. I feel quite motivated for the week ahead and I’ve bought some pots to do some batch cooked meals to avoid the issues I faced today. My sore foot has returned almost to normal, so evidently it takes nearly a week to work it out of my system. I’ve got a busy weekend planned, plus I’m due my next half marathon this weekend so I’m checking the weather to work out the best day for that. 

hope you’re all ok? 

It’s been a crazy week, turning the clocks ahead one hour messed me up and it took a few days to adjust. It’s great that it’s lighter at night but I just wish we stopped changing the clocks twice a year! Today I was able to book vaccine appointments online for me and my husband this coming week, two different days and locations. Trying to grab an appointment before it disappears reminded me of trying to get concert tickets in the 1990s!  LOL 

Nothing new on the food front, keeping the meals simple, I grilled a bunch of chicken thighs yesterday, burgers another day and will make pork chops tonight. Have not reintroduced anything and just enjoying some white wine on the weekends. I’m glad it’s getting warmer again, spent some time outside walking and cleaning up outside the house. Happy Spring!!!! 

@christine19thanks! Spring has certainly sprung here in the uk as well! We spent the weekend outside tidying the garden and it was so nice to feel sunlight on my face again. I did a long run (24km) and realised mid run that my carb intake on Saturday was limited to salad veg- so yes, it was hard work! Having a day off today with no workout. Having my Covid jab tomorrow which I’m a bit apprehensive about due to stories of side effects. 

I haven’t done my usual Sunday cook up so tonight I’m going to batch cook and freeze a few things after work and make my salads for the week. 

happy Monday everyone! 

• Moderators

@Rebecca001 - those pics are amazing, you  must be so pleased! You definitely look stronger in the second set! @christine19 so glad you guys are getting your vaccines! I was volunteering at the health care workers vax clinic the last two weeks and people were saying the same thing about getting appointments! It's actually a great thing to hear because it means that there's a great demand and that a lot of people are getting vaccinated... it would be tragic if appointments were super easy to get because no one was booking them!

Sorry I've been quiet on here - I haven't read a book or written in my journal in two weeks or really come on here - nothing poor to report, just not in the groove I guess :)

I made what I like to call Reuben Rollups for lunch today - corned beef, local sauerkraut, horseradish mixed with mayo and the whole thing wrapped around a pickle... so good! 

I realized that although I don't mind doing food prep, I'm going to try and make more 'assembly' lunches like the rollups. Every week I make a frittata for breakfasts and a supper thing for the week but this week I was quite surprised by how much my prep went down by not having to actually cook a lunch thing so I'm going to do a bit more work on getting additional ideas for that! I'm getting excited for the transition to spring/summer foods - I dumped out half a batch of soup I made last week because I just couldn't force myself to eat it... it was delicious but past the ability to freeze it and I think soup season is done for me.

@Lorna from Canada - how are you doing? 

Archived