am I eating too much?

ellysouvz

hi guys,

I've just re-started my whole30 again today but am worried that I am eating maybe too much food.

Just a quick outline of my day so far.

Breakfast: (what I like to call) De-constructed Omelette.

3 hard boiled eggs (600g, no yolk, can't stand the yolk!)

a small handful of ham

a small handful of spinach

and coffee with a very small amount of coconut milk.

Lunch: chicken and veg

one medium sized chicken breast cooked with salt and pepper in coconut oil

raw carrot

raw capsicum

spinach

roughly 3 tablespoons of home made mayo

I'm concerned that I'm not following thing 100% when it comes to the proportion side of things. If you have any feed back (good or bad!!) please let me know! I'm really determined to make this work this time and would love all the feed back and encouragement I can get.

Thanks in advance!!!

:)

Hmm if you're eating too much then I'm downright stuffing myself! I would focus on satisfying my hunger threshold first-- are you satisfied in eating this much, or are you getting too full/hungry after each meal? I'm not sure if this helps, but good luck! I'm in my first few days of my first Whole30 and I can relate to wondering if I am getting things right. :)

I am on day 7. I am eating the right things but I too feel like I am eating TOO much!! I do Crossfit 4 days a week and am training for a half marathon the other two days. As far as running, I usually run 3 miles one day during the week and my longest run so far was yesterday at 5 mikes. So I haven't even gotten into the long runs yet. My crossfit workouts are done at 5:15 am. Runs done at various times.

Here is a sample food log.

B - medium sweet potato, 3 egg whites and 1 whole egg scrambled with red hot, 1/2 avocado, black coffee

Snack - spoonful of homemade almond butter and 3 slices of apple

L - some type of meat, 1/2 avocado, veggies

Snack - handful of nuts, few slices of apple

D - burger w/homemade guac, sautéed veggies - mushrooms, onions, peppers

Water - 80-100 oz average

Too much? Fat?

I'm not doing Whole30 to lose weight. Doing it more to lean out and have a more positive relationship with food.

Thanks!!

I am on day 7. I am eating the right things but I too feel like I am eating TOO much!! I do Crossfit 4 days a week and am training for a half marathon the other two days. As far as running, I usually run 3 miles one day during the week and my longest run so far was yesterday at 5 mikes. So I haven't even gotten into the long runs yet. My crossfit workouts are done at 5:15 am. Runs done at various times.

Here is a sample food log.

B - medium sweet potato, 3 egg whites and 1 whole egg scrambled with red hot, 1/2 avocado, black coffee

Snack - spoonful of homemade almond butter and 3 slices of apple

L - some type of meat, 1/2 avocado, veggies

Snack - handful of nuts, few slices of apple

D - burger w/homemade guac, sautéed veggies - mushrooms, onions, peppers

Water - 80-100 oz average

Too much? Fat?

I'm not doing Whole30 to lose weight. Doing it more to lean out and have a more positive relationship with food.

Thanks!!

I'm eating similar portion sizes to you and I'm 29, 5'5, 115..So similar. I want to tone out but I too feel like I'm eating too much and actually gaining weight. I hope that's not the case but it's how I feel. I'm hoping that my body will become fat adapted soon and will start to eat through the extra food I may be eating :P

Cindy -

How's your veggie intake? You may be feeling like it's all a little too much because you're doing great with protein and fat (though I'd like to see you eat whole eggs) but it seems like it might be a little veggie light. You could also start varying your fat sources a bit ( I know this is just a sample) to cut down on the volume of your fats? Does that make sense? Avocado and nuts are filling - space wise - whereas coconut oil is less so? I don't see anything wrong with your intake - it may even be a little on the light side considering your activity level.

Thank you so much Robin for the input. I have made a couple changes since starting Week 2. I have now been eating 3 whole eggs for breakfast rather than just the whites. I am also trying to eliminate almonds/almond butter. I have been feeling bloated/gassy and wondering if it is from those. I don't have any veggies for breakfast, so I can try to add more in at that time. I'll work on the additional veggies. But, I am glad that it looks good as far as protein/fat. We do saute all our veggies in coconut oil, so I am getting that additional fat. Another change this week is that I eat a hard boiled egg before my Crossfit class at 5:15 am, when I wasn't eating anything. I then eat 2 sweet potato/egg white muffins after I work out. This pushes my breakfast back to about 8:30ish, when I eat my full breakfast as listed above. I know I'm not in this for weight loss but is it typical to feel like you gain a little in the lower belly area due to the change in diet to more fat? Just curious because I do, which is probably my reasoning for questionning eating too much.

I know I'm not in this for weight loss but is it typical to feel like you gain a little in the lower belly area due to the change in diet to more fat? Just curious because I do, which is probably my reasoning for questionning eating too much.

This is most likely due to the changing environment in your digestive system, not actual weight or fat gain (ESPECIALLY from the fat). When you make a change to a diet that is heavier in protein than you're used to and cut out your primary fiber sources (grains, etc), things can get a little stopped up. This is why eating your veggies is really important. Your body DOES need fiber to deal with your food appropriately. I think that, as long as you keep your veggie intake up, things will straighten (and flatten) out in a few days or so.

• 3 weeks later...

OMGosh - If this is 'too much' then I'm eating WAYYYYY too much. That said, I'm only on day 6 so am cutting myself some slack for the first week since I am very used to eating a lot of snacks during the day, though usually only as vegetables (a carrot here, a handful of cherry tomatoes there, 2 small cucumbers, etc.). The first few days I felt starved so today I made a larger omelette with 2 whole eggs plus 2 extra whites, cooked in ghee, with probably close to 2 cups of veggies (peppers, sugar snap peas, broccoli, 1/2 pepper). For the first time in a long time, I actually made it past 10am without eating. In fact, I got to 12:30 for a meal of 2 spicy tuna/sw potato cakes plus 3 minced chicken, sw potato and apple balls, handful of cherry tomatoes and about 12 macadamia nuts. I don't feel stuffed at all, in fact, feel like I could have quite a bit more. Lets hope this lasts me till 5:30pm.

So MY question is whether a non-starchy veg snack is good, ok or to be avoided (to cut the habit)?

Martine

So MY question is whether a non-starchy veg snack is good, ok or to be avoided (to cut the habit)?

Hey Martine, for any 'snack's they actually recommend a mini meal - basically the protein, vege and fat but a smaller version of your 3 main meals.

Michelle

• 3 weeks later...

Ok tell me if this is right:

Breakfast: one egg fried in coconut oil, 1/8 lb (1/2 palm size) lean ground turkey cooked in coconut oil, 1/2 pc bacon, 1/2 avocado and 1/2 sweet potato

Lunch: handful chopped asparagus boiled, palm sized lean grnd turkey meat cooked in coconut oil with chicken sauce(1/4 cup coconut milk, hot sauce and chicken broth), 1/2 an avocado.

Archived