Snacks that are not nuts or fruit

melody

Let me start off by saying that I know that Whole30 is not really about snacking. You should eat 3 meals a day, with a 4th mini meal as needed. But it seems everyone's had at least one day where they needed a little something extra.

Two obvious snacks are nuts & fruit. But it also sounds like those are two big dragons for a lot of people. I was about to post this as a reply to someone who is struggling with this in their journal, but decided that it might be useful to a lot of people here. Feel free to add on!

-olives

-hard boiled egg

-deviled egg (made with compliant ingredients)

-a handful of grape or cherry tomatos

-1 bell pepper, eaten like an apple

-jerky

-julianne (or thinly slice) carrot and daikon. Mix with vinegar

-Compliant (homemade) slaw

-compliant pickle

-spoonful of coconut manna/ butter

-chopped veggies dipped into an olive oil/vinegar dressing

-baked or canned sweet potato

-leftover side dish from previous day

-sundried tomatos

-raw leafy kale (There are a bunch of brands out there including Brad's that come in several flavors, or make your own)

-freeze dried vegetables

-kombucha

-hot herbal tea or hot water with a little lemon or fresh ginger (for when it's not really hunger but you can't stop yourself, sip slowly on this first and see if the urge to make bad food choices goes away)

-egg muffin (various recipes out there, great for breakfast too)

-seeds from squash, cooked in coconut oil and spices until they pop

Thanks for that. I have had one of those snacky type days today.

Ended up with an apricot cut in half topped with a couple of teaspoons of almond butter, I wish I had seen this list first as that was all I co ill come up with

I like this list because I'm still learning how to not be a snacker. My goal (at least for now) is to start prepping "mini-meals" to replace snacks:

1. Egg Muffin (Made on the weekend with various veg & protein)
  2. Mini-Meatloaves (Everday Paleo has a great recipe for these, including adding spinach and carrots)
  3. Homemade Whole30-Compliant Sushi Rolls
  4. Meatballs
  5. Cup of soup, like a gazpacho
  6. Stuffed Grape Leaves (found a great recipe too: http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2012/03/29/paleo-stuffed-grape-leaves/#)
  7. Homemade Whole30-Compliant hummus with veggies to dip (i.e. beet hummus, sweet potato hummus, hot pepper hummus, etc.)

Last spring, not on a Whole30, I made paleo coconut truffles regularly, rationalizing that they were good fats and nutritious almonds and coconut. Yet, I ate them as a snack, and ate way too make of them. Another thing I would do is bake bacon in the oven (way easier than on top of the stove). I find this time around, that if I get enough sleep and eat enough protein in the morning and at lunch, that I'm pretty good at dinner. My "snacks" now are a another small meal, or just eggs, and a cup of hot water with lemon juice is great!

I buy the big bags of lemons from Costco, then squeeze about 6 of them and pour the juice into ice cube trays. I keep the lemon cubes in the freezer so I can pop one out whenever I want, and never waste the lemons! Works great.

We also make at least a pound of sausage patties every week, with our own spices, no sugar. Sausage (no casings) in omelets is one of my husband's comfort foods. When I am too tired to cook and decide to just graze on leftovers from the fridge, he will make himself an omelet. AND do the dishes. :) Good husband!

I try to eat enough fats and proteins. Even if it's late at night and I know I don't need to be eating but feel I'm going to go into automatic and might land in a candy bar, I will eat meat or bone broth. Love that. And when I make bone broth, the next morning I pull off the thick disc of lovely white fat, scrape off any gelatin from the bottom side, and save it to cook with. Eat fat, be healthy! (PS I only use fat from grass-fed pastured animals now.) -diana

P.S. I also eat plenty of vegetables and no white potatoes!

• 1 month later...

Let me start off by saying that I know that Whole30 is not really about snacking. You should eat 3 meals a day, with a 4th mini meal as needed. But it seems everyone's had at least one day where they needed a little something extra.

Two obvious snacks are nuts & fruit. But it also sounds like those are two big dragons for a lot of people. I was about to post this as a reply to someone who is struggling with this in their journal, but decided that it might be useful to a lot of people here. Feel free to add on!

-olives

-hard boiled egg

-deviled egg (made with compliant ingredients)

-a handful of grape or cherry tomatos

-1 bell pepper, eaten like an apple

-jerky

-julianne (or thinly slice) carrot and daikon. Mix with vinegar

-Compliant (homemade) slaw

-compliant pickle

-spoonful of coconut manna/ butter

-chopped veggies dipped into an olive oil/vinegar dressing

-baked or canned sweet potato

-leftover side dish from previous day

-sundried tomatos

-raw leafy kale (There are a bunch of brands out there including Brad's that come in several flavors, or make your own)

-freeze dried vegetables

-kombucha

-hot herbal tea or hot water with a little lemon or fresh ginger (for when it's not really hunger but you can't stop yourself, sip slowly on this first and see if the urge to make bad food choices goes away)

-egg muffin (various recipes out there, great for breakfast too)

-seeds from squash, cooked in coconut oil and spices until they pop

I just noticed that you mentioned freeze-dried veggies. I posted a question about this while I had this open in another tab. We looked at veggie snacks yesterday and they all had non-compliant oils. Do you have any suggestions for finding good dry veggies to snack on?

I've found myself going in the direction of a mini-meal for when I feel a snack attack coming on. It may be that I don't need to eat much, but I want a little something by way of meal 3.5 for the day, if that makes sense.

Like, just now, I had kale chips, chicken salad with homemade mayo, a couple of olives, and a handful of macadamia nuts mixed in with the chicken salad. A snack sized portion to be sure, but it fit the meal template outlines and I feel pretty good. I was thinking about just eating the kale chips but decided to go mini-meal and I'm glad I did. It was sooooooo yummmmmmyyyyyyy... :D

We also make at least a pound of sausage patties every week, with our own spices, no sugar.

I am so jealous right now. I made my Paleo people (husband, four kids, and me) breakfast with a pound of sausage, a dozen scrambled eggs, some mixed berries, and sauteed greens and it was GONE. Like, immediately. Ahh, the days when a pound of sausage meant leftovers...

Hahaha a pound of sausage for 6 people? How dainty, I don't think a pound of ANYTHING except maybe salt ever went far in our 6 person house when I was growing up!

Ha! It helps that four of my six are 10, 8, 4, and 2 years old. A couple more years and I will never leave the kitchen and people will be forking each other to get their share of food at each meal, I'm pretty sure.

• 2 weeks later...

I make a large batch of swedish meatballs (minus the breadcrumbs and honey of course) and "snack" on 2-3 meatballs.

MEATBALLS

3 eggs

1 yellow onion, finely chopped

3 cloves of garlic, minced

1 tsp. nutmeg

1 tsp. allspice

2 tsp. onion powder

2 tsp. sea salt

1 tsp. pepper

4 lbs grass-fed ground beef

4-6 TBSP coconut oil

Mix everything but the coconut oil well (easiest to do with your hands) and then roll into small (1" diameter) balls. Fry on medium heat in coconut oil! Voila, tasty, awesome non-fruit snacks.

Archived