Round 3 and my “not worth it” list

Rebecca001

After having some dairy last week my hip flared right back up again and has taken a full 6 days to get back to pain free. So dairy is now, fully 200% on my not worth it list. I knew this anyway, I don’t know why I had it, but this has proven to me it’s not worth it. 

starting an almost-30 today. A reset of sorts to get the tiger blood pumping and get myself back on top form before we go on holiday on May 29th. So not quite a full 30 days but I think I will still see benefits in that time 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2021 at 6:53 PM, Rebecca001 said:

Another day, another yummy dinner from my dr’s kitchen book. This time it was Vietnamese style chicken balls which I had with stir fry pepper, mushroom, spring onion, sugar snap peas and 5 spice seasoning. Lunch was a salad and boule eggs, new potatoes and mayo. 
I’m feeling that familiar tiredness today, a good indicator that w30 is underway. One thing I notice with each new round is that the side effects begin more quickly and subside more quickly too, so hopefully I will feel a bit better tomorrow. 
I didn’t run in the end today. My hip was -mostly- pain free and I thought I would give it just another day or two to really get it back to normal. 

Hey @Rebecca001 how are you doing with the whole 30?

Hey @Maria Fernandai had a really rubbish start to be honest. I had the most horrific food poisoning last week and it completely knocked me out for about 4 days, and I ate some toast which instantly made my bad hip flare up again. I was feeling really miserable. Then last week I’ve just struggled to regain my strength really, I’m running again but not doing very well and eating well but still not feeling as healthy as I want. 

so my w28 has now become a w13 til I go on holiday but that’s ok. I never really reintroduced anything anyway so I’m just ticking along but trying to be more strict with things like fruit, nuts, nut butter and other ‘snacks’ things. 

how are you? Last time I think you were going to start reintroductions? Did you manage this? 

2 hours ago, Rebecca001 said:

Hey @Maria Fernandai had a really rubbish start to be honest. I had the most horrific food poisoning last week and it completely knocked me out for about 4 days, and I ate some toast which instantly made my bad hip flare up again. I was feeling really miserable. Then last week I’ve just struggled to regain my strength really, I’m running again but not doing very well and eating well but still not feeling as healthy as I want. 

so my w28 has now become a w13 til I go on holiday but that’s ok. I never really reintroduced anything anyway so I’m just ticking along but trying to be more strict with things like fruit, nuts, nut butter and other ‘snacks’ things. 

how are you? Last time I think you were going to start reintroductions? Did you manage this? 

I'm sorry to hear about the food poisoning. In my first whole30 I had as well and I remember how hard it was. But sometimes it's just a toast we need. I can totally relate to your bad hip and feeling weak. I was also not very compliant the past 2/3 weeks and it got into a point where I woke up yesterday and decided that I should re-do the whole 30 again. Not that I was eating badly, but the small things made me crappy. 

Enjoy your holidays as much as you can :D And I hope when you go back you can manage to keep on track with no food poisoning ;) 

My food is generally pretty good anyway, I have got into a good routine now and I genuinely don’t eat non compliant food except a very occasional attempt at reintro, but they aren’t working out well for me. Grains make me ache, dairy makes me just an absolute feeding demon and I will eat anything and everything. I’ve not tried cheese yet or any complete blow out like pizza or McDonald’s. I just want the tiger blood back! 
although I suppose my baseline has changed and my feeling tired now is probably no where near where I was before? Who knows. Although there are other positives, such as I feel much calmer, less stressed, look younger and brighter, my hair and nails are really strong and grow fast. I think 10 months of super healthy nutrition has so many benefits, before we start we can’t imagine what that feels like. 

its 10 months tomorrow since I started my first w30 and that’s something I’m very proud of, despite at the moment not feeling brilliant. Unfortunately I had another horrible bout of sickness yesterday, I think probably the previous time has affected my gut and made me super sensitive? So not eaten much today, just some fruit and a light salad with chicken and mayo. I feel very thin and fragile, I lost 7lb with my sickness last time and because this diet is so healthy I am just not regaining it quickly. Then another bout of sickness yesterday.... so I feel a bit scrawny and delicate!

how are you getting on @Maria Fernanda

20 hours ago, Rebecca001 said:

My food is generally pretty good anyway, I have got into a good routine now and I genuinely don’t eat non compliant food except a very occasional attempt at reintro, but they aren’t working out well for me. Grains make me ache, dairy makes me just an absolute feeding demon and I will eat anything and everything. I’ve not tried cheese yet or any complete blow out like pizza or McDonald’s. I just want the tiger blood back! 
although I suppose my baseline has changed and my feeling tired now is probably no where near where I was before? Who knows. Although there are other positives, such as I feel much calmer, less stressed, look younger and brighter, my hair and nails are really strong and grow fast. I think 10 months of super healthy nutrition has so many benefits, before we start we can’t imagine what that feels like. 

its 10 months tomorrow since I started my first w30 and that’s something I’m very proud of, despite at the moment not feeling brilliant. Unfortunately I had another horrible bout of sickness yesterday, I think probably the previous time has affected my gut and made me super sensitive? So not eaten much today, just some fruit and a light salad with chicken and mayo. I feel very thin and fragile, I lost 7lb with my sickness last time and because this diet is so healthy I am just not regaining it quickly. Then another bout of sickness yesterday.... so I feel a bit scrawny and delicate!

how are you getting on @Maria Fernanda

That's so beautiful to hear! 10 months and way to go! If you think, it's not that hard to change a habit when we want to. I bet you also cannot imagine your life the way it was before the whole 30 right?

For 1 day I had this life again last week, with a party, drinks, snacks. OMG I felt terrible for 3 days, it's just not good for us! 

About regaining weight, maybe try to eat more protein and high calorie fruits, like banana, almonds and so on? At least with me I can notice that when I don't eat banana/almonds/raisins etc I tend to loose weight faster. And I know juices are not 100% compliant, but maybe have a good shot of antiinflamatory products, like kale, ginger, turmeric and so on?

I hope you felt better today <3

• 3 weeks later...

I’m not exactly sure which round I’m on now! I have had an awful month (May)- I’ve been generally on track but have had a few really bad days, and cannot remember the last time I felt the tiger blood. My hip/running injury is now healed, but after a week away on holiday (food was 100% compliant, but there was a lot of wine drunk!) and then developing a cold, I still don’t feel 100% yet. Just had my 2nd Covid jab today so I expect I will feel a bit rough after that too. I have decided to do a real back to basics month , just to get myself fighting fit for summer! July 20 marks 1 full year of whole30 for me so I’d like to get there feeling amazing and not like a wrung out rag like I do right now! 

Greetings.  I'm interested by the correlation you've made between dairy and your hip pain.  I've been dealing with some hip pain for about a month or so. I figured it's old age but then it seemed sudden.  

Well, I hope all is well with you.

@julieinCAhi! My hip pain was (I think) a type of bursitis (where the bursa gets inflamed). I had such a brilliant month in February, I was feeling so healthy and was running a lot and doing a lot of home workouts and I think I aggravated it. It was then really interesting to monitor how it flared up and was affected by certain foods. Dairy and grains in combo seemed to make it worse than either in their own. I also found if I ate too many eggs and/or nuts it was painful. Thankfully it seems to be back to normal now, but it’s taken 2-3 months 

Just a little update from me: May has been a terrible month and start of June not much better. I am really struggling to find my mojo and despite my food being actually compliant, my habits and behaviour is NOT. Plus I am drinking alcohol at weekends (only wine, and usually 2 x a week). My period was 14 days late this month and as a result i just felt totally crappy. Next weekend  my husband and I are celebrating our tenth wedding anniversary ( we have organised a charity event and are running 10km in our wedding outfits (yes my big meringue dress!) and a party for family. But then after that I am going to really knuckle down for a full w30 which will take me right up to the end of one full year doing this amazing lifestyle. I have learned so much about myself doing this. I really want to end it on a high. 

so this week: I’m just getting myself back in the swing of it all. For me the biggest thing I’m struggling with is the meal template. My food is all compliant but I don’t think I eat the right balance of protein, fat and veg. I am also very reliant on fruit during my food freedom but during my strict month I am going to cut all fruit out as per the strict programme rules. One other thing I’m going to do which really worked for me in my first round is to cut out all social media and just really give my brain and emotions a rest. And try to do Daily yoga. So a very strict month of self care starting with food and all these other good things. 

this week ahead: my meals are all planned until Friday and I will document on here for accountability. It’s hot here in the Uk so I plan to get up early to run in the mornings before work. I will prep my breakfast and lunch the night before which really helps me stay on track. And just focus on getting all those loose threads pulled together ready for full relaunch on June 20th! 

Really good day today. I am starting to feel the very early flutterings of the tiger blood returning, and that’s after just a few really good days. Today I ran at 6am and then had a full day at work, then did a fitness class at 7 pm. My food has been great, lots of protein at both lunch and dinner. 

I sort of muddled along this week, because I have known that this weekend was going to be a big one! We did our charity run yesterday a had a family party, and for the first time in 11 months I actually went completely ‘off plan’ rather than having a few, careful, planned items. I don’t know if it was nice or not. I certainly don’t feel super healthy or energetic today! 

I’m starting tomorrow doing a full round. My menu is planned out and I am even sitting this afternoon reading the book again! This is the start of my 12th month, it’s my birthday 19th July and I began this on 20th July last year so I really want to complete my year feeling super healthy and not tired, weary and exhausted. I won’t do a full w30 this time, more like a W27, but that’s ok as I have done before and also I know that I can reintroduce alcohol on my birthday but not change any food and still feel ok. 

my aims for the month: meal template, including eating extra veg at every meal (I am not good at this) 

cutting back on fruit, and cutting out all compliant/acceptable ‘treats’ so no raw bars or dried fruit or nuts or nut butter etc. 
completely back to basics so no alcohol (of course) -really looking forward to this one 

some proper self care: sleeping more, more yoga, more water, take some vitamin supplements, cleanse and tone my face every day, a social media detox (eg no Facebook and no phone before work or for the hour or so before bed)  and generally being kinder to myself than I have in recent months. 
I’ve also set myself a little challenge to do 30 reps of a series of bodyweight exercises every day, so press-up, sit up, and squat, in addition to my running and other workouts. I have 2 races in July and I’d like to feel in good/better condition for those. 

Archived