Day 1: Anxious and excited

Maria Fernanda

Hello everyone! 

This is Maria and I'm in Denmark. I have been reading the book for the past 2 weeks and when I woke up today I decided it would be the day I am starting the whole30! No excuses, it should be today. 

I did a nice omelet wrap with nice vegetables for lunch and I'm doing meatballs with vegetables on the oven for dinner. I'm still new and learning, but I am attentive to the rules and trying to follow. I am sightly anxious already but I'm hoping for the best. 

I just hope I my mood don't kill anyone in these first days :P

Day 4 complete now and so far so good.

I'm feeling distracted and having hard time to focus on what people talk to me. I feel a bit tired, but mostly hungry.

One thing is concerning me is to be hungry in the night. Last time (around midnight) I had to go for a snack. I had grapes. I was hungry and couldn't go back to sleep. This was happening with me before the whole 30 as well, but before I was going for cookies and chocolate. So that's an improvement.

Any tips or explanations on why this is happening? 

Today I had:

- Spinach omelet for breakfast

- Tuna bowl salad for lunch

- Pot cooked chicken with vegetables, Brussels sprouts and homemade (without sugar) pickled pepper.

It is being nice this adventure and I hope that soon I'll stop being tired.

• Moderators

If you're hungry, you may need to eat more. Make sure each meal meets the meal template, which you can download here: https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/

When eggs are the only protein in a meal, have as many whole eggs as you can hold in one hand, which is likely 3-4 for most people. Be sure you add a serving or two of fat at each meal, generally in addition to any oil you cook in, since some of that may be left behind in the pan and not actually be eaten. Aim for 2-3 cups of vegetables at each meal, more if you're having loosely packed raw leafy greens like a salad. If you're hungry between meals, try not to have fruit on its own, try to have some protein, fat, and veggies, or at least two of the three. And most people find they feel best if they have a serving of starchy vegetable at least once a day -- some people are ok with less, some very active people or people seeking to gain weight could need more, but generally a fist-sized serving once a day works well for most people. 

It's hard to say if your meals are enough, but using what you've listed there, examples that would meet the template might be:

- spinach omelet (3 eggs, a couple of big handfuls of spinach), half (or a whole if you like) avocado.

- can of tuna with a tbsp or two of mayo, diced tomatoes, cucumber, bell pepper, etc., on a bed of lettuce, handful of grapes

- chicken leg quarter, Brussels sprouts, pickled pepper, handful of olives, roasted sweet potato.

15 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

If you're hungry, you may need to eat more. Make sure each meal meets the meal template, which you can download here: https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/

When eggs are the only protein in a meal, have as many whole eggs as you can hold in one hand, which is likely 3-4 for most people. Be sure you add a serving or two of fat at each meal, generally in addition to any oil you cook in, since some of that may be left behind in the pan and not actually be eaten. Aim for 2-3 cups of vegetables at each meal, more if you're having loosely packed raw leafy greens like a salad. If you're hungry between meals, try not to have fruit on its own, try to have some protein, fat, and veggies, or at least two of the three. And most people find they feel best if they have a serving of starchy vegetable at least once a day -- some people are ok with less, some very active people or people seeking to gain weight could need more, but generally a fist-sized serving once a day works well for most people. 

It's hard to say if your meals are enough, but using what you've listed there, examples that would meet the template might be:

- spinach omelet (3 eggs, a couple of big handfuls of spinach), half (or a whole if you like) avocado.

- can of tuna with a tbsp or two of mayo, diced tomatoes, cucumber, bell pepper, etc., on a bed of lettuce, handful of grapes

- chicken leg quarter, Brussels sprouts, pickled pepper, handful of olives, roasted sweet potato.

Thank you Shannon! What would you recommend to have in between meals if I need? Could I have apple with almond butter? Or should I aim for eggs + something. I have some trouble to understand which kind of proteins I could get rather than meat or egg. 

I have a daily calorie burn of about 500 kcal, and about 15 km walk everyday just because of my work. Maybe that could be interfering in my hungriness? 

Regarding dates, do you recommend me to have them? I had 3 yesterday night with almond butter, but Im not 100% sure what's the limit here.

Thanks!

• Moderators

Ideally, your meals will keep you satisfied for 4-5 hours, so most people find they don't need many snacks between meals. Apple and almond butter could be ok, but if you have a sweet tooth at all it might be better to have something other than fruit. An egg or some leftover meat with some raw vegetables, vegetables with ranch dressing, a handful of olives, something like that. 

Protein for Whole30 tends to be eggs, meat/poultry, or fish or seafood. Peas are allowed now, and they have some protein, and nuts have some protein, but neither are necessarily complete protein, they don't have all the same amino acids that are in animal-based proteins, so while they may be helpful in getting more protein you don't want them to be your primary protein sources.

Dates are ok, but like I mentioned with the fruit above, if you have a sweet tooth at all, they're not necessarily your best option, especially if you're having them in place of dessert or at a time when you tend to want something sweet. 

Hi Shannon! Thanks for your amazing help! I started realizing there are some changes necessary to do, but I also understand it is my first time doing it, so it's ok to have some mistakes :)

I did my day 6 like you said, adding more fat (as olives/olive paste), different types of protein and I felt less hungry! Today I'm feeling great.

I had 2 boiled eggs + spinal + melon + pear + a bit of coconut milk for breakfast. I didn't have avocados for the morning, but I just bought and I'll have them for lunch, together with a salad with eggs and serrano ham + other veggies.

I am also trying not to eat dates when I would eat chocolate and I think that has improved. I'm a bit upset it is not being perfect, but I guess as it is my first time it is ok :) It is definitely not the last one. 

Day 7 and I'm very happy! I feel with a lot of energy and I was impressed the first time in a long time I could do so much before 10 am. I woke up, had this amazing breakfast, went for a run, cleaned my house, bought groceries and I'm ready to start work. Best decision I ever made :) 

Hi everyone! Day 8 here is over! I just wanted to say that I am feeling amazing! I have so much more energy, I don't feel pain anymore in my joints, I wake up without alarm and sleep without medication. 

My days have not been perfect - as for 3 times I had to stay out of home more than planned and had only a fruit + nuts as lunch. In the beginning I was missing sweets and substituting for fruits, but now I don't even remember the taste of them :D

I am really satisfied and I can really see changes in my mood. And that is the most important thing to me :) 

Sometimes I am tired of eating tons of proteins in the morning (I have mostly had eggs in the morning, and letting meat for dinner because it's super expensive in Denmark) and I was wondering what would be ok to eat. For instance, a day in a week could I have just some fruits with coconut milk, nuts, and maybe a seed (sunflower?). Just to have some kind of variety in my day :)

Looking forward to do week 2!

For breakfast I often have tinned fish (eg tuna or mackerel in olive oil)  with salad and mayo and lemon juice- really tasty. You could make a batch of sweet potato fritters as well to have if you need more food (I read your previous posts about your exercise) or fishcakes/meatballs.

I’d personally avoid having just fruit and coconut milk because it won’t sustain your hunger for long. But you don’t need to have just meat as your protein source.

I get bored of eggs too! If you’re not bored of them you can make little egg ‘muffin’ by adding veg to a cupcake tray and add beaten eggs and bake them and then have a few with your fish/salad/mayo? 

good luck with your second week! 

Hi @Rebecca001thanks for sharing your thoughts. I went straight to the market and got mackerel. But I have a question. Here in Denmark we have only mackerel in tomato sauce and I'm not 100% if that is compliment. I ate and now I'm feeling bad that I made a bad choice and have to start all over :(

In the label, it says this: 64 % makrelfilet (Scomber scombrus) uden skind og ben, 23 % vand, 12 % tomatpasta, salt. - Which means 64% of mackerel fillet without skin or bones, 23% water, 12% tomato concentrate, salt.

In the supermarket's tomato concentrate, just says tomato concentrate in the ingredients, nothing else. But I can see there are carbs (just not sure if those carbs 15 g for 100g are from tomatoes). Do you think it is still ok? 

I'll try to get a muffin form to do these eggs :)  One thing I have been doing is creamy scrambled eggs (I use one spoon of coconut milk and 3 eggs). It's very good! :D 

This weekend has been hard! I'm anxious and alone at home, nobody to talk. I ate well and didn't eat any forbidden stuff. But I did blended a frozen banana with coconut milk and ate after dinner. Is that breaking the rules? I'm judging myself. Otherwise Whole30 has been the greatest thing I've ever done to me. Don't want to stop, ever :)

Your mackerel would be ok, if the tomato concentrate had any other ingredients, they would be listed. (If it’s like here in the uk). I definitely find some brands here that have a tomato sauce and are allowed. I get through a lot of tins! You could have sardines or tuna also, just check the labels (although I find sardines too bony) 

your coconut milk/frozen banana is, I guess, not really allowed as it’s like trying to recreate ice cream, but you know what? You should be ok. We’re only human! The ingredients were compliant and there’s certainly a lot of talk about ‘there’s no such thing as a perfect whole 30’ - so I personally would avoid it in future but carry on as you are. 

it’s tough at the moment isn’t it? We are all still in national lockdown here in England and it has been a long, tough winter. I cannot wait for normal life to resume! 

Thanks @Rebecca001! It's a relief to know that the one I bought is compliant. I prefer tuna, of course, but I also got a bit tired of it and it was my first time trying mackerel. It's nice :) Good to diversify. Also, I've bought Serrano ham the other day and it was written, pork and salt as the ingredients. Nothing else. But I've seen other brands and some contain sugar. So I'm not sure if I bought something compliant or if they did not labelled that. 

I'll try to avoid this banana coconut milk in the future :) I am not really an ice cream person, so I guess it will be ok. I just wished I have been better, but it is difficult.

Yes, very tough. There's more than 14 months I don't see my family (they live in Brazil) and I am here alone. Hopefully march will be a better month. But I still have to say that doing this programme put my energy levels so high! And I have been much happier than I ever was in these past 10 months. So it is a good thing. 

14 days done! That is amazing. I'm so energetic and happy about it, that I have no words to describe how the whole 30 is treating me well.

In these days I learned:

- Eat eggs and always focus on protein + fat + carb, instead of just having carb :)

- I'm not craving for sweets anymore, almost never actually. And I started realizing that when I crave is actually because I'm hungry, so I am going for healthy choices instead of just eating a fruit.

Something annoying happened yesterday and I wanted your help.

- I did a baked Hokkaido and I think that was passed. I ate half yesterday and half today and I vomited both times. And I vomited a lot, as I had food poison. I'm not sure what caused, but my stomach is very fragile. With that in mind, what do you recommend me to eat to help me recover?

I think normally I would go for a toast, but well, no toast here! So I'm not sure. I had dinner and vomited everything. So I wasn't feeling well and went for tea and a mix with nuts and raisins. Unsalted and unsweetened. Not sure if this is the best choice, but it is what helped me today.

I don't want to stop my whole 30 in whole 15, so what do you recommend me to eat tomorrow and the day after to avoid getting more sick?

Thanks <3 

That doesn’t sound good, I hope you feel better. What is Hokkaido? 
if you’re feeling fragile I would go for small light meals, maybe some potato or something? I’d probably avoid anything meat or egg until you feel a bit better? Food poisoning is horrible! I have only had it once really badly and I really thought I’d never recover! Some salt on your food can help as well if you are not keeping much water or food down. 

(of course the best thing for it really is flat Diet Coke which says a lot about what is in Diet Coke if it can kill e-coli!! ) 

rest and be kind to yourself! 

Thanks @Rebecca001. Hokkaido is a type of pumpkin. 

Yesterday was terrible. I slept/was in bed whole day and I tried to keep with the whole 30, but I don't think I did. "normal food" was not holding in my stomach, the only thing I was able to eat was nuts. I had them several times, so obviously I didn't have only 3 meals. I was able to do a soup in the night, with potatoes and carrots and that went well actually. But I still feel awful. 

I'm not sure now if I should just start the programme all over again, once I feel better or if I should continue, finish the 30 days and start again. I haven't eat anything not allowed, but I definitely ate more than 3 meals yesterday - better, more like snacking. 

But no forbidden food, so that's something. Thanks for the support :D 

• 2 weeks later...

Update over here! It's day 23 and I am already starting missing "bad" food. But not in a terrible way, some desires are coming but they go. It's getting so easy to prepare my meals now that I actually don't think I'll ever get back to the old habits.

Not having eggs for breakfast??? Whaaaaat? I wanna my eggs for breakfast! hahah

I feel motivated and my skin is glowing. I don't really miss things, just some quick desire. Have been having lots of teas and that helps a lot as well.

This week I'll start preparing for the reintroduction! Any tips on what to do better in the last week? <3 

Hi @Rebecca001I'm feeling much better. 2 days later I was feeling already good, I think it was a good recovery :D I can see that I've got much more color in my face, not pale anymore! YAY!

I'm not sure. I'll be studying about the reintroduction this week. But there's nothing I really miss to be honest, not even chocolate :P Any suggestions on that?

When I did my first, I didn’t miss anything so I didn’t reintroduce anything straight away, except wine. Over time I gradually introduced some preservatives which meant I could have certain dried fruit and cured meat  but I did find that sodium metabisulphate makes me feel pretty horrible. I also allowed a few paleo ‘Baked goods’ so made sugar free, dairy free cake with almond flour for example. I then did another strict 30 days, ending 1st feb and then again didn’t introduce anything, until this week when I ate milk chocolate and it has not agreed with me at all! Skin/joints all inflamed and so that will go back on the ‘no’ pile! 

I actually prefer and find it easier to do the ‘100% compliant food and occasional wine’ approach, rather than the phased introductions because I genuinely think I could eat like this for the rest of my life. Of course, life changes, so I suppose it will eventually come up and I will reintroduce other things. But for now I’m really happy like this. I am now 8 months in, w30 food (in 8 months I have had just a few pieces of chocolate and the few preservatives, nothing else) and red wine and this really works for me. 

have you read Melissa urban’s book Food Freedom Forever? That is helpful for your reintro phase and can help you decide what to do next 

Hey @Rebecca001 @ShannonM816 and everyone else :)

Thanks for all the support in these 30 days! I finished the day 30 yesterday and I feel amazing. I am also sad, because it is over and I'm looking so much forward to start again :)

Scale victories: - 4 kg and - 2% body fat. I was not aiming to lose weight so I let myself eating everything allowed in the programme and didn't restricted that much regarding carbs. So to me is impressive that I still lost all that. I am happy

Non-scale victories: I've never been so happy, positive, excited and energetic in my whole life. My skin glows, I said good bye to darkness around my eyes. I don't have constipation or vomiting anymore (that was annoying me everyday!), and my muscular pain is almost over. 

This was definitely the best experience of my life. 

Today I reintroduced dairy. I did my standard omelet, but used a bit of butter and cheese. I have to say that I hate it. I don't like cheese anymore, or not the way I used to like. The taste was awful. I just had my lunch and it was 100% compliant, and I didn't have any dairy. I'm thinking about having a small yogurt after my daily walk. 

I am confused about what to reintroduce because there are things I don't miss at all.

For example:

- I know oats causes me constipation. I like it and it used to be my breakfast, but I can't stand with my floating belly. So I'm not sure if I should ever eat that again. Or at least not as a meal, but maybe just a spoon or so in my meatballs.

- I don't like beans that much and again they cause me constipation. Plus, I don't even have a slow cooker or a pressure pot to cook them. So i'm thinking about skipping it.

- I never eat rice, like never. I don't like it. Unless it's risotto, but that's only in very special occasions, so I am not sure if I should a day to reintroduce that.

- I have some nutella at home and at first I thought about reintroducing it today, but I could see it had soya and milk, so it would be confusing to add. Also, I don't miss eating chocolate that much, and I'm thinking about letting that for easter.

Any suggestions on what to do? I'm very ok of eating only whole30 foods, but also I'm afraid my body will get so used to that, that I won't see any more effects in the long run. 

See ya! <3 

Hey! You did it!! Well done!!!! 

I felt just like you and I didn’t want to introduce anything ‘just because’ and instead I decided to wait until something really really worth it came up. Maybe the food itself, or maybe the experience (like my child’s b’day cake) - but nothings really been worth it yet. I tried some chocolate and it didn’t agree with me so I’m in no rush for that again! 

I might have some vegan/dairy free chocolate at Easter- maybe? I have reintroduced alcohol/ wine although I am finding red wine too much now and I get hungover while I’m still drinking it and feel really miserable/grumpy. So that’s going too I think. 

but you know what? I love this super clean feeling. The tiger blood dips and peaks and I still do ‘strict’ and ‘not so strict’ weeks and feel the tiger blood come back. There’s no need to introduce something you don’t miss, don’t need and don’t want. I suppose your oats if you miss them would be a good one to try. 

great work on your 30 days! 

Thank you!!! 

Exactly, I am feeling the same as you. I introduced cheese on monday and it didn't taste the same. It tasted weird and I'm not sure I want to have it again.

I am feeling sad now, I tried nutella. I couldn't resist, I was anxious tonight and I felt terrible. I tried today about 3 spoons, and I'm feeling awful! Like terribly awful. Feeling guilty, but more than that.. my stomach hurts, I want to puke, this sugar bomb is having a really bad effect. I guess it is in my not-worth list. I never liked very very extremely sweet things, so I guess next time I try a chocolate will probably be something around 90% cocoa.

Besides that my days have been fine. I have been just eating compliant foods and following the procedure in the best way possible. 

Eating the nutella now made me realize maybe I should start another whole 30 now, because I honestly don't want to have chocolate for easter. Specially easter eggs, I bet I 'll feel they are way to sweet for me know.

I don't think I miss oats that much. I got used to eat eggs now and I feel actually better. With oats, I was having about 100g every morning and around 2 hours later I was hungry already. With eggs, I have been eating 2 - 3 eggs every morning and I just feel hungry around 13:00. So it's way better to me. 

How did you body reacted with chocolate/sugar? My stomach is crawling right now. And regarding the wine, I was never a person who drinks a lot, I actually never have drinks, so I guess I'll just pass that. That is certainly I don't miss.

How many whole 30's have you done so far? :)

I am coming to the conclusion that, for me, chocolate and sugar is always, always emotional. It’s never about hunger or food. If I ever crave chocolate it is to feed an emotional need not a food one. So, on the very few times I have tried it ( one at Christmas and one a few weeks back) I felt odd when I ate it because I did feel genuine emotional relief but also found it too sweet and greasy. And of course, it doesn’t really make the emotional need go away. 

I started w30 in July and did 30 days, then had a few months of mostly 100% compliant food + wine, then at Christmas had 2 chocolates. Then January I did a full w30 again, but I didn’t really get the same effects from it, so I February I really started looking at my food habit, streamlined my food intake so now I only eat my 3 meals, rarely snack, and I also cut out nuts and dried fruit and other compliant things that I felt I was having too much of. And that’s pretty much where I am now, and it’s 250 days tomorrow since I started my first W30! 

Congratulations on your 250 days from the first Whole30! That's a big step! :D 

Regarding chocolate I have exactly the same feeling as you. It is emotional, and I don't feel it goes away the anxiety after eating. So I am trying to avoid it. I'm keeping all compliant, and today I decided to have some feta cheese for dinner, so let's see how that goes. After feeling horrible (physically) because of the nutella, I am trying to be very careful with the reintroduction. So tonight I'll have a salad with feta, a beef and some potatoes. Let's see how that goes. 

I was considering starting another whole 30 now, but I am not so sure, as I'll have my birthday in april and a birthday of a close friend in beginning of may. I don't plan to go crazy, but I'm not sure if it's a good timing to start. Next time I'm doing whole30, I also want to cut down on dried fruits and nuts, because that's something I really enjoy having it. And it's not 100% hungriness I can see. So I agree with you. 

I was wondering how is it to reintroduce gluten. I saw some pasta at the supermarket today and they were gluten free (made with rice flour). I considered, but that would be in the day I would reintroduce grains, which I don't miss. But then I was thinking how should be the way to reintroduce gluten, aka wheat flour. Not something I truly miss, but it would be nice to have some pasta once a month or so... 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone! Happy Easter :D

I just want to do a few updates after the spring clearly coming up here in Denmark. 

This week I had a small break from the whole 30 as I had 2 ice creams during the week, 3 buns and 50 gr dark chocolate today because of Easter. Above all this my food has been compliant. 

Thoughts about how this "junk" food has treated me so far:

- My taste on sugar and chocolate has definitely changed. Before I would easily eat 100 gr of chocolate and wanna more, today I could barely cope with 50. Also even dark chocolate I find it very sweet now. Maybe at somepoint I can give it a go with the 90% Lindt, but so far I want to stay a bit away  of it.

- Eating whole grain buns made me feel good. I haven't missed bread, which was something I had already cut down after moving to Denmark. However, I could feel heavy after eating and my belly just expanded a lot. So I guess buns will be in really really special occasions, because I feel like a balloon.

- The ice creams were good, as we had two very warm days over here. However, again, too sweet and made me feel quite high on sugar. Definitely something I'll have it at some point, but not as often.

Thoughts about the next coming days:

- I still don't want to stick with another whole 30, as it is my birthday in the end of the month and I plan to do homemade gnocchi and that will go flour.

- I still have 18 days to my birthday and I plan to do all 18 days (54 meals) all compliant. It's been so easy to me to prepare compliant foods and stick with it. I also felt much hungrier these days that I had sugar. In general I am eating around 06:30/0700 and I just feel hungry again around 13:00/14:00. This week with all sugar intake I have been feeling hungrier faster (+- 2 hours after eating) and I don't like this feeling.

Any suggestions for my next 18 days of whole 30, not whole30?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived