BFing & Vegetarian

I’m about to try my first Whole30, but am feeling a little discouraged. 

I'm a vegetarian & am breastfeeding my 6mo son. My supply is fine, but I’m worried about it dropping, especially because of being a vegetarian.

I’m not interested in reincorporating meat into my diet, have been reading the BFing forum to see tips for maintaining supply, but there doesn’t seem to be an vegetarians on there. 

Anyone been in the same situation & kept their supply up?

Thanks!

I’m about to try my first Whole30, but am feeling a little discouraged. 

I'm a vegetarian & am breastfeeding my 6mo son. My supply is fine, but I’m worried about it dropping, especially because of being a vegetarian.

I’m not interested in reincorporating meat into my diet, have been reading the vegetarian forum to see tips for maintaining supply, but there doesn’t seem to be an breastfeeding mums on there. 

Anyone been in the same situation & kept their supply up?

Thanks!

• Moderators

I've grouped both your posts into the Pregnant and Breastfeeding subforum.  Please don't cross post as it makes it hard to follow along when people are giving responses on both posts.

Did you have a read through the breastfeeding forum to see if there were any vegetarians in the mix? Usually it's fat that helps keep your supply up so have a read through and you'll see what people do regardless of whether they eat meat to help maintain supply.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Having breastfed two kids, my experience was that it was important to keep calories up as well as good fats (avocado, coconut milk, nuts, etc.). You may be hungrier than normal and needing to eat more--definitely honor that!

There is also a section in the Whole30 book specifically on breastfeeding--it's not specifically tailored to vegetarians, but a lot of it is generally applicable regardless of your specific dietary context.

Archived