Day 21 of my third whole30

apenn

Hello!

I'm on day 21 of my third whole30. I'm really trying to find foods that upset my stomach, make me constipated, and in general prevent my bowels from being regular, in addition to all the other great benefits of Whole30.

In addition to doing the Whole30, I started doing the autoimmune protocol on this diet as well as trying to avoid all FODMAPs. As you can imagine, my selection of foods is very limited so I tend to eat the same thing.

My main symptoms are constipation, irregular bowels, and bloating and am trying to avoid those. My daily meals throughout the last 21 days have been:

Breakfast: .4 lbs of 80-90% Ground beef patty with a banana

Lunch: 13 ounces of chicken thigh plus sweet potato and zucchini

Dinner: 10 ounces of chicken wings plus carrots and zuchinni

I will usually eat 250g of Strawberry and 200-400g of blueberries for dessert after dinner

Usually 60-90oz of water (I'm 195 pounds) a day plus 2-3 cups of peppermint tea a day

Looking for any tips on this to remove my symptoms. Also, if I've eating any non compliant AIP or FODMAP foods, please let me know

Thank you and have a good day! :)

• Moderators
13 hours ago, apenn said:

Hello!

I'm on day 21 of my third whole30. I'm really trying to find foods that upset my stomach, make me constipated, and in general prevent my bowels from being regular, in addition to all the other great benefits of Whole30.

In addition to doing the Whole30, I started doing the autoimmune protocol on this diet as well as trying to avoid all FODMAPs. As you can imagine, my selection of foods is very limited so I tend to eat the same thing.

My main symptoms are constipation, irregular bowels, and bloating and am trying to avoid those. My daily meals throughout the last 21 days have been:

Breakfast: .4 lbs of 80-90% Ground beef patty with a banana

Lunch: 13 ounces of chicken thigh plus sweet potato and zucchini

Dinner: 10 ounces of chicken wings plus carrots and zuchinni

I will usually eat 250g of Strawberry and 200-400g of blueberries for dessert after dinner

Usually 60-90oz of water (I'm 195 pounds) a day plus 2-3 cups of peppermint tea a day

Looking for any tips on this to remove my symptoms. Also, if I've eating any non compliant AIP or FODMAP foods, please let me know

Thank you and have a good day! :)

I'm not sure if you're having bowel trouble right now but sometimes 'constipation' is just lack of 'poop' because there's nothing to poop... and it sure looks like you're not eating enough... Your breakfast has no fat and no veggies, your lunch and dinner have no fat and altho I have no idea how much 10oz of chicken wings is, I suspect it's not that much.

We suggest that instead of weighing your food like this, you use the meal template which is linked in my signature below.

I'm not sure if you're having bowel trouble right now but sometimes 'constipation' is just lack of 'poop' because there's nothing to poop... and it sure looks like you're not eating enough... Your breakfast has no fat and no veggies, your lunch and dinner have no fat and altho I have no idea how much 10oz of chicken wings is, I suspect it's not that much.

We suggest that instead of weighing your food like this, you use the meal template which is linked in my signature below.

Thanks for the response!

I followed the meal template during my first two Whole30s but gained weight on both of them so I've started weighing my food to give myself a better understanding of portion size.

In regards to the comments around fat, all of the meat I am eating has a lot of grams of fat in it (80% ground beef, chicken thighs have fat on them, and chicken wings have the skin on them which is a lot of fat). Is that fat not sufficient for the Whole30 diet and is it required to have added fat to each meal? I was under the impression that if my food has fat in it, such as a chicken wings with skin and avocado, then there isn't a need to add additional fat. Please let me know if that is incorrect!

1 hour ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Thanks for the response!

I followed the meal template during my first two Whole30s but gained weight on both of them so I've started weighing my food to give myself a better understanding of portion size.

In regards to the comments around fat, all of the meat I am eating has a lot of grams of fat in it (80% ground beef, chicken thighs have fat on them, and chicken wings have the skin on them which is a lot of fat). Is that fat not sufficient for the Whole30 diet and is it required to have added fat to each meal? I was under the impression that if my food has fat in it, such as a chicken wings with skin and avocado, then there isn't a need to add additional fat. Please let me know if that is incorrect!

Get yourself some more veggies. Basically the only vegetable you're eating is zucchini? Get some other one in there - green beans, kale, chard, lettuces... Your meals look super high protein so getting some more plants in your meals will not do much harm. Also, it's really hard to gain weight when you're eating a high proportion of non-starchy veggies. 

5 hours ago, laura_juggles said:

Get yourself some more veggies. Basically the only vegetable you're eating is zucchini? Get some other one in there - green beans, kale, chard, lettuces... Your meals look super high protein so getting some more plants in your meals will not do much harm. Also, it's really hard to gain weight when you're eating a high proportion of non-starchy veggies. 

Yeah, the veggies are pretty limited. Like I said above, I'm on Whole30, AIP, low FODMAP, and avoiding raw veggies (as I'm testing to see if they are causing my stomach issues) which leaves me with a pretty low variety of veggies. I'm still eating a high quantity of veggies, but pretty low in variety. Green beans, kale, chard, and lettuces are excluded from the current diet I'm eating unfortunately

14 hours ago, apenn said:

Yeah, the veggies are pretty limited. Like I said above, I'm on Whole30, AIP, low FODMAP, and avoiding raw veggies (as I'm testing to see if they are causing my stomach issues) which leaves me with a pretty low variety of veggies. I'm still eating a high quantity of veggies, but pretty low in variety. Green beans, kale, chard, and lettuces are excluded from the current diet I'm eating unfortunately

I cross-referenced AIP and FODMAP lists when offering you more suggestions. Green beans and leafy greens came up as OK across the board. 

6 hours ago, laura_juggles said:

I cross-referenced AIP and FODMAP lists when offering you more suggestions. Green beans and leafy greens came up as OK across the board. 

Thanks for the response. In terms of green beans, one of the sources I'm referring to is the Paleo Mom where she states "...agglutinins may be a concern for those with autoimmune disease following the autoimmune protocol," (source: https://www.thepaleomom.com/green-beans-peas/) which is part of my reason for avoiding green beans. I plan to reintroduce them at a later time.

In terms of lettuce, I should have mentioned this in the original post but I am also avoiding uncooked vegetables (i.e., lettuce from salads) as my research on the Whole30 forums has found that that can cause issues as well.

In either case, my main concern is around what I am currently eating that is causing my symptoms, unless there is something I'm missing from my diet that is causing the symptoms. Right now, my main two nonstarchy veggies are carrots and zucchini

On 3/26/2021 at 6:37 PM, apenn said:

Thanks for the response. In terms of green beans, one of the sources I'm referring to is the Paleo Mom where she states "...agglutinins may be a concern for those with autoimmune disease following the autoimmune protocol," (source: https://www.thepaleomom.com/green-beans-peas/) which is part of my reason for avoiding green beans. I plan to reintroduce them at a later time.

In terms of lettuce, I should have mentioned this in the original post but I am also avoiding uncooked vegetables (i.e., lettuce from salads) as my research on the Whole30 forums has found that that can cause issues as well.

In either case, my main concern is around what I am currently eating that is causing my symptoms, unless there is something I'm missing from my diet that is causing the symptoms. Right now, my main two nonstarchy veggies are carrots and zucchini

This is going to be the hill I continue to stand on. 

Try adding some dark leafy greens into your meals. Kale, chard, spinach, mustard greens, beet greens, collards - they're all best cooked anyway. Carrots are teetering on the edge of being a starchy vegetable and zucchini is practically water. Try some greens. 

Archived