Fuel for winter backcountry outings

2wheelbarrows

Hi--I am a mountaineer who started my first W30 on January 1. I will be in the mountains this weekend snowshoeing for 7-8 hours each day away from any type of shelter and facilities. I made some homemade key lime larabar energy balls and I'm wondering if the dates should/would affect my current progress on this program. Should I chose to pack something else for quick fuel? I would love some recommendations.

Also, are there any meals that can be eaten with one hand from a ziplock or wrapped if foil? I am currently planning to bring lettuce wraps with grilled chicken tenders, sunshine sauce and veggies, but I'm not sure how well the chicken will taste in the cold outdoors.

Thank you!

So FUN!!! I love doing Hut trips out in Colorado!!

Hard Boiled Eggs

Sweet Potato Pouches - they have them in the baby food section - they are good my school age kids love them - all sorts of flavors

http://www.amazon.com/Ellas-Kitchen-Organic-Potatoes-Blueberries/dp/B0031UBXDE/ref=pd_bxgy_gro_img_z

I just stuff dates with hazelnuts - nice thing to have quick energy

Nut Butter in Sigle Serve Pouches

http://www.amazon.com/Artisana-Raw-Organic-Cashew-Butter/dp/B004VELBWC/ref=sr_1_5?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1357847284&sr=1-5&keywords=cashew+butter

Cut up grilled chicken breast cubes

Baggie of Carrots and Snap Peas

I hope you don't mind me jumping in here, 2wheelbarrows. I have been wanting to ask about fuel for mountaineering as well.

I am an avid alpine climber and back country skier. And I am out and about all the time, not just on occasional weekends. I'd say I spend about a third of my time in the mountains, so mountain food is a big part of my diet.

My problem is not so much the food for day outings. The worst case scenario here for me is to simply not eat at all. I find a fat adapted body handles that just fine. In fact, I climb a lot better with an empty stomach when all the blood is available for my brain and muscles. Also, on an easier day trip it doesn't matter to add a bit more weight to my backpack.

But I'm not usually out for just a single day. Trips are often for at least one night, occasionally two or more. And on harder climbs, at altitude, and on longer outings obviously weight matters a lot! There is absolutely no way I am going to lug things like fresh fruit or veggies around!

What I really need (in addition to what 2wheelbarrows asked about) is ideas and suggestions for dehydrated foods, high calorie and easily digested, that you can just add water to and heat up at night. Does anyone have any experience with those? Even if they are not 100% Whole30 I would be interested as long as they are grain, legume and dairy free. After all, i climb all year round.

PS.: I am in Europe, so suggestions for approved stuff to buy in the US unfortunately won't help me.

Pemmican

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a source for it here. And I don't think I'm up for making my own...

I think US Wellness Meats has pemmican. They had a booth at AHS last year and I had some. (It may not have been their booth, but I'm pretty sure it was them). It was...beefy...

I've been dying to try pemmican and was all set to order some on US Wellness the other day until I realized they have a $75 minimum order. I'm all set for grass fed meats and don't want to order $75 worth of just pemmican.

I think I'll attempt to make some out of some grassfed ground beef if I can source some grass fed suet to render down.

Thanks for the suggestions. I, too, do multiday mountaineering trips and am well aware how much weight matters. I haven't done too much winter mountaineering, and this month will allow me to test out some different foods that I may not use this summer. I do have a food dehydrator, but I'm not sure which meals could dehydrate well. I'll have to do some experimenting.

Regarding not needing as much food on climbs...I have experienced not wanting to eat as a result of altitude. I get pretty grumpy if I don't eat, so it's really important that I have quick and easy foods to eat when I know I won't have time to pull out a stove and boil water.

Thanks Renee.

There actually are several good sources of quality pemmican in the US that I am aware of.

However, as I noted in my post above the one you quoted, I am in Europe.

2wheelbarrows, like you I do have a food dehydrator and was thinking the same thing. I actually remember reading a lot about making dehydrated full meals when I was still living in Australia and doing a lot of what we call bushwalking (self supported wilderness treks). Of course those meals weren't whole30 or even paleo, still, the tips and instructions were very helpful. I will see what I can dig up.

• 2 years later...

Dates and bars might work in certain areas. We stay alert, not wanting to ring the dinner bell for the truly hungry animals and creatures.  We make our own jerky of every kind... air-tight sealed.  No nuts, nut butter bars or dates.   Jerky and water until we make it home or back to camp...eaten on the fly, head up, looking behind and all around.  climbing-smiley.gif?1292867571

Archived