Observations from an Alien

EstherC

Recently I re-watched the movie E.T. (1982), it brought me back to being 12, when life was simpler and I was very healthy. With E.T., being an inspiration for this entry, I will say that I too feel like an alien that has just recently landed on the planet Earth.

I found Whole9 / Whole30 through my need to create a healthier lifestyle that will heal my diagnosed Leaky Gut, lower my Hashimoto's Thyroid symptoms and support my athletic lifestyle of training for marathons.

Today is Day 9 and what a difference a little over a week makes! Being so aware of how I now feel compared to prior to Day 1 is night and day. Less brain fog, more energy, less exhaustion, less turning to food as a crutch to deal with stress (between the lines: 3pm – I need sugar message). To add, I not only was just recently diagnosed with Leaky Gut, food allergies – Egg and Corn, I started a new job and have to travel weekly where prepping food and carrying “my food†has been a challenge – but now it's fun. It's a challenge like a puzzle that I know has an answer.

In this new alien awareness, I observe people around me (strangers, co-workers and friends) make amazingly unhealthy food choices, some of which I used to make. Overweight guy with dark circles under eyes driving down the freeway with a fast food burger and fries in hand, in 3-day company training other co-workers choose candy, cookies, donuts and cake being offered for free for breakfast over, odd look from sandwich counter worker when ordering all the “insides†of chicken sandwich for a paper bowl with no dressing – just chicken, avocado and cucumbers please. (Then added seaweed, artichoke hearts and E.V.O.O. and balsamic that I brought with me in a grocery bag to it for a very yummy lunch.)

I don't feel “judgey†as much as astounded about what I have been ignorant to for so long and how sick we are making ourselves.

Welcome to our Planet! E.T. phone home. Heart light turned on.

I've done 2 Whole30s previously, eat paleo most of the time, and am currently on Day 10 of a Whole100. I''m right with you on the observations. I see people make poor food choices, or make them for their kids, and I just cringe inside. I know it isn't my business, but sometimes I just want to start preaching to people like a street-corner evangelist.

I have friends who are walking disasters. One is in her early thirties, with major depressive issues, on HBP meds, and has been told she has little chance of ever having children because of endo, type-2 diabetes and other issues. Most of her problems could be eased if not alleviated by food. All I can do is lead by example and wait for her to ask questions. She is following everything the doctor says and it makes me angry that the doctors are so ignorant of the healing power of proper nutrition.

We certainly do feel like visitors from another planet once our eyes are opened.

@1Maryann - I agree that in my head I imagine myself with a sanwich board (pun slightly intended ;) ) becoming a street corner evangelist preaching that "clean" food will save the day, but I like your comment about leading by example the most. The teacher appears when the student is ready. Sometimes, people can't hear what you have to say because it is not the right time.

I have done just this. 10 years ago, it was suggested to me to do a Paleo lifestyle and then again 2 years ago and I snubbed my nose at those trainers thinking that they "just didn't understand" my vegetarian leanings or that I "couldn't" atheltically push myself without grains! "What were they thinking?"

LOVE ET!

And reeses pieces. (sorry)

I can certainly relate to feeling the need to 'conform' others. My little cousin eats nothing but candy or pasta with butter. Or hot dogs. I can hardly stand it! He has a rash all over his face, and I have gently tried to get him to eat something ANYTHING else. No Dice. I don't have kids, so I can't judge.... But MINGA!

Good Luck! Phone home if ya need to ;)

Archived