First week down, 3 to go

SKUtah

I'm on day 7. The Whole30 Day by Day journal has been pretty spot on with the timeline. I've had a few ups and downs but I just keep repeating the best line in the book, "One meal at a time." It's not that bad when I think of it that way.

Confession: I know tracking calories is a no-no but I've been tracking calories but not why most people would think. I know that a person needs a minimum number of calories and I could tell the first 2 days that I was no where near the minimum. I tracked, yes, but to make sure I could gauge what was enough. I stopped after 3 days and have a better handle on when to add a little more fat to keep me full. I completely understand why we shouldn't track, though, and feel better not doing it. 

I'll check in next week!

Congrats on getting week 1 down! I think you were totally fine counting calories for those 3 days in the way that you did it. Way to go!

I'm on day 1 today, was hoping to find some people to go on this journey together with, but doesn't seem like there's much action right now. Hope you don't mind if I join you here! 

This is my 4th round of Whole30, started last minute this time because of time constraints. But I'm so excited to have a healthier me in 30 days!! I usually check here everyday so we can keep each other motivated! 

Welcome both! These forums are pretty quiet, it can be a bit of a ghost town.,

I did my first W30 in July and then never really stopped, I reintroduced wine and then.... nothing. So I am still sugar, dairy , grain, soy etc free and going strong! 

easter was tricky but I am so proud of myself to not succumbing to chocolate, especially as I could have legitimately ‘reintroduced’ some! 

Wow Rebecca, that's awesome! Good for you. I find it so difficult to stick to this kind of a regime. I usually do Trim Healthy Mama, but needed to commit to something more strict to keep myself accountable. 

Do you tend to follow recipes from the book or make your own meals? I find I LOVE  the recipes, but they are time consuming and hard to sustain that lifestyle for me. (I'm a mother of 7, 16yrs to 2yrs).

@Nedster7 for breakfast and lunch I eat different food to the family, and I usually have the same sort of thing for both meals. For evening meal we usually have the same protein (eg tonight we are having chicken in a curry sauce) but they have rice or potato wedges and I have cauliflower rice and/or salad. I eat a LOT of salads. I like the recipes but they can be fiddly but I find the variety really helps me stay on track so I try to do a bit of both. 

I simplify my meals a lot: tinned fish, chicken thighs etc plus salad. I cook two roasts on a Sunday and that does me 3 or 4 meals extra, and I cook extra carrots and potato which I keep in the fridge. I think you have to prep well in advance, and especially with families (I have 3 children and husband and my hands are full so I do not know how you manage with 7!!) 

every Sunday I do a big ‘cook up’, chop loads of carrot sticks, boil some eggs, make my mayo, and sometimes in the week I do it again if I run out. I also do a super shopping list and check the dates on everything and use my freezer so I actually have enough to last the full week. I’m in the Uk so we have zero w30 approved products and I’ve stopped looking now, I just make my own. I will say though, I never thought I’d have the energy to do this at first but once the tiger blood kicks in suddenly you just have time and motivation and it doesn’t feel like such a burden! 

I love all the tips. It's nice to hear from someone who is doing this day in day out. I've definitely made it more complicated and am so happy when the 30 days is up. I will try to make more similar things for our family for dinner. I love the 2 roasts on Sunday idea, I've been wanting to prep that way and have a roast thawing in the fridge already. 

I could tell you were from the UK when you said "tinned" fish. lol. 

I can't wait for the tiger blood. Feeling very tired and grumpy right now. 

Hello! I am currently on day two, so am behind you a bit. I found Rebecca001 your comment about how you alter your menu a bit for yourself helpful amidst preparing for family as well inspiring. I can totally make one protein for all of us and then make different sides. Thank you!

@Rebecca001

@Rebel Rose

@Nedster7

Thanks for finding this! I do need a few people to do this with so, lucky you, you're stuck with me! I'm on day 16 as I write this. I'm not sure I have Tiger Blood or even if I know what that would feel like BUT I do notice that I'm not tired in the afternoons, I am waking up on my own without an alarm as I used to when I was more fit, and I'm not tempted by the wrong foods at all. So easy to say no to sweets and other things.

@Rebel Rose I have quite the dynamic in my family that makes meal planning a little harder. I have an older sister I take care of who is diabetic and has cirrhosis so she follows the Mediterranean diet which has grains. My grandkids, daugher-in-law and son occupy my basement and even though they have a small kitchenette which is separate from me, I have to WALK PAST THE CHIPS AND JUNK to get to the washer and dryer! I can say no to my sister's whole wheat bread easily but those damn Doritos know my name. So far I've been strong and I do know my limitations. My family is very supportive and has offered to put that stuff far from my reach but I've told them if I can't say no now, then I'm hopeless and that I need to figure it out. All that said, there's a good chance that I'll need to take them up on the offer.

I echo @Rebecca001's comments that planning and prepping makes all the difference. The last 2 Sundays I have had great success with meal planning for the whole week and making dishes ahead even if it's just to prep them for the oven later. Once I devote a couple of hours to that on Sunday then I'm pretty much out of the kitchen for the week except to get the meal I need, prepare my sister's dinner and to my great surprise, my kids and grandkids have been wanting a version of what I'm having but with maybe something on the side to make it more robust. For example I grilled steaks and they had rolls and fries and mine was with a lettuce wrap and a salad or on baked potato night (which we do a lot!) I baked a sweet potato that my sister and I split and the others had regular potatoes. They had chili and cheese topping and my sister and I had healthier toppings on ours.

@Rebel Roseand my other tip is always cook extra if you can. I use freezable plastic tubs (like takeaway dishes) and before serving out for the family I always take one portion out. Label them before freezing (unless you like mystery dinner)- I always label mine W30 chilli or whatever so I know in future that it is a 100% compliant meal. 

Love the collaboration here! I'm on day 8 now. I learned pretty quickly to make larger batches of simple things like roasted vegetables, hard boiled eggs, and dressings. With so much prep time involved, I ordered the Primal Kitchen dressings to help me out. Hope those come soon as I am looking forward to those.

Sleep has been very difficult. I toss and turn all night which is not normal for me. I'm also getting very hot and sweaty. Has anyone else experienced this?

Loving the feeling in my digestive system. No bloating or other discomforts which is what brought me to do this reset, my first Whole30. 

The cravings for sweets seems to have greatly diminished but I still really want breads, crackers, cereal, oatmeal, etc. I am proud of making pancakes for my kids this weekend and not having even a single bite (or lick of the batter haha). That was tough. When does that craving start to subside? My mind says I don't want it because of how great I am feeling now but my body says otherwise.

I need to check this thread more often. Will keep it open in a tab for more support. It's nice to know you are all out there too. Have a wonderful week.

@Rebel RoseOne thing that helps me is to ask myself ‘am I craving the food itself, or am I craving the experience?’ ; it’s ok to want to engage in the excitement of pancakes with your kids or ice cream at the beach, or birthday cake. It takes practice but I find I can now separate the two and not eat it, but still enjoy them having it. What you will find is that when you finish your W30 and begin your food freedom journey, you’ll be faced with this a lot. I think this is why they say no baked replica treats: you need to wean yourself as much off the experience as off the food itself. 

After your 30 days You can have anything you want, always remember that. But do you want it, or do you want the experience of it? I think people think W30 sounds miserable because we associate all the  good times in our lives with (sugary junk) food. How will you enjoy life without these foods, they ask?! I tell myself that the taste of the food itself lasts moments but the experience (and conversely, the negative consequences) can last a long time. I use my notebook a lot when these things come up, and ask myself the difficult questions and work through the answers. this programme is a huge overhaul of our food behaviours that we have had for a lifetime. 

Thank you Rebecca001. Best advice for now and in the future: "But do you want it, or do you want the experience of it? I think people think W30 sounds miserable because we associate all the  good times in our lives with (sugary junk) food. How will you enjoy life without these foods, they ask?! I tell myself that the taste of the food itself lasts moments but the experience (and conversely, the negative consequences) can last a long time."

Archived