First week down, 3 to go

I'm on day 7. The Whole30 Day by Day journal has been pretty spot on with the timeline. I've had a few ups and downs but I just keep repeating the best line in the book, "One meal at a time." It's not that bad when I think of it that way.

Confession: I know tracking calories is a no-no but I've been tracking calories but not why most people would think. I know that a person needs a minimum number of calories and I could tell the first 2 days that I was no where near the minimum. I tracked, yes, but to make sure I could gauge what was enough. I stopped after 3 days and have a better handle on when to add a little more fat to keep me full. I completely understand why we shouldn't track, though, and feel better not doing it. 

I'll check in next week!

Congrats on getting week 1 down! I think you were totally fine counting calories for those 3 days in the way that you did it. Way to go!

I'm on day 1 today, was hoping to find some people to go on this journey together with, but doesn't seem like there's much action right now. Hope you don't mind if I join you here! 

This is my 4th round of Whole30, started last minute this time because of time constraints. But I'm so excited to have a healthier me in 30 days!! I usually check here everyday so we can keep each other motivated! 

Welcome both! These forums are pretty quiet, it can be a bit of a ghost town.,

I did my first W30 in July and then never really stopped, I reintroduced wine and then.... nothing. So I am still sugar, dairy , grain, soy etc free and going strong! 

easter was tricky but I am so proud of myself to not succumbing to chocolate, especially as I could have legitimately ‘reintroduced’ some! 

Wow Rebecca, that's awesome! Good for you. I find it so difficult to stick to this kind of a regime. I usually do Trim Healthy Mama, but needed to commit to something more strict to keep myself accountable. 

Do you tend to follow recipes from the book or make your own meals? I find I LOVE  the recipes, but they are time consuming and hard to sustain that lifestyle for me. (I'm a mother of 7, 16yrs to 2yrs).

@Nedster7 for breakfast and lunch I eat different food to the family, and I usually have the same sort of thing for both meals. For evening meal we usually have the same protein (eg tonight we are having chicken in a curry sauce) but they have rice or potato wedges and I have cauliflower rice and/or salad. I eat a LOT of salads. I like the recipes but they can be fiddly but I find the variety really helps me stay on track so I try to do a bit of both. 

I simplify my meals a lot: tinned fish, chicken thighs etc plus salad. I cook two roasts on a Sunday and that does me 3 or 4 meals extra, and I cook extra carrots and potato which I keep in the fridge. I think you have to prep well in advance, and especially with families (I have 3 children and husband and my hands are full so I do not know how you manage with 7!!) 

every Sunday I do a big ‘cook up’, chop loads of carrot sticks, boil some eggs, make my mayo, and sometimes in the week I do it again if I run out. I also do a super shopping list and check the dates on everything and use my freezer so I actually have enough to last the full week. I’m in the Uk so we have zero w30 approved products and I’ve stopped looking now, I just make my own. I will say though, I never thought I’d have the energy to do this at first but once the tiger blood kicks in suddenly you just have time and motivation and it doesn’t feel like such a burden! 

I love all the tips. It's nice to hear from someone who is doing this day in day out. I've definitely made it more complicated and am so happy when the 30 days is up. I will try to make more similar things for our family for dinner. I love the 2 roasts on Sunday idea, I've been wanting to prep that way and have a roast thawing in the fridge already. 

I could tell you were from the UK when you said "tinned" fish. lol. 

I can't wait for the tiger blood. Feeling very tired and grumpy right now. 

Hello! I am currently on day two, so am behind you a bit. I found Rebecca001 your comment about how you alter your menu a bit for yourself helpful amidst preparing for family as well inspiring. I can totally make one protein for all of us and then make different sides. Thank you!