Unsure If This Fits For Me

TiffanyS77

Hi All,

My name is Tiffany. I'm 31 years old, a wife, and a mom to a toddler.  I've struggled with food my entire life.  I am not exaggerating when I say, I didn't even know what broccoli tasted like until I was in my 20's.  Lately, I have been feeling bogged down by my diet.  I will eat certain things and feel miserable for the rest of the day.  I also am seriously lacking energy, and being a mom to a toddler, that's a big deal.  Not to mention that we are going to be trying for a second child later this year, and it took us 15 cycles to get pregnant with my son.  The cycle I started eating better, was the cycle I got pregnant.  So, I think it'd be great to have a solid foundation of food before attempting to get pregnant again.

However, I am picky.  And when I say picky, I don't just mean I don't like these foods. I mean, these foods make me gag and often throw up if I even smell them.

I've read some and looked around some, but a lot of recipes have tomatoes in them and it's been discouraging to me.

So, my question is this... do you think I can find enough foods to maintain a healthy diet on this plan, IF I cannot/ do not eat the following:

Tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, mayo, tuna, ranch, and any condiment really (except vinegars and oils)?  A lot of the recipes I see include a lot of these.  It seems a lot of people's go to are tuna salads or salads with ranch or dinners with tomato sauce (chili anyone?).  I also am not a big fan of seafood or fish. I will eat salmon, although it's not my favorite.

Help a girl out! Is this still even feasible for me? Or am I setting myself up for failure with my limitations?

Thanks!!

• Moderators

There are plenty of options that don't involve the things you've mentioned. There's a shopping list here, it's not completely exhaustive (there are tons of vegetables out there, no list could include them all): https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/. Maybe print it and mark 9ff the things you don't eat, and see how many options are still left. 

As for recipes, I'm not sure where you're looking, but while there are recipes for tuna salad or chili, there are plenty of other options. How about something like this: https://www.rachelcooks.com/whole30-chicken-thighs/? Or this: https://tasty-yummies.com/grain-free-thai-beef-bowls/? Or you can just do simple things that don't really need a recipe, like scrambled eggs with spinach and avocado, or a burger patty with roasted vegetables, or a baked sweet potato stuffed with seasoned ground beef and a salad.

Thank you! That gives me hope!!  I've seen some, but wasn't sure if it'd really be sustainable for 30 days for me :)  I think I'm going to try to plan out a meal plan (I'm a planner, so have to plan 30 days of meals - plus meals for my husband and son) because I know I won't stick to it otherwise.  I think I'll start on May 1st! Yay!!

Archived