My hardest temptation yet...

My boss's boyfriend just dropped off green tea soy lattes for us from Starbucks out of the blue. T_T

It's day 10 and I've been doing great so far, but this is the hardest thing because it was such a sweet gesture to include me and it's totally something I'd treat myself to and I haaaate waste.

Haaalp T_T

• Moderators
On 4/17/2021 at 6:34 AM, AeneaGrace said:

My boss's boyfriend just dropped off green tea soy lattes for us from Starbucks out of the blue. T_T

It's day 10 and I've been doing great so far, but this is the hardest thing because it was such a sweet gesture to include me and it's totally something I'd treat myself to and I haaaate waste.

Haaalp T_T

Oh no, that's a tough one.  I actually have repeated experiences with this same experience.  We had a contracted employee who would just show up with Starbucks and a big smile... it WAS a sweet gesture but just because it was sweet didn't mean that I had to throw my own goals and commitments away.  After a few times of saying 'thank you' and then not drinking the item (loaded with sugar, dairy and caffeine at 4pm) I mentioned to her that she was really sweet but to please not include me anymore - we ended up having a conversation around what I WOULD appreciate and she started bringing mint tea for me.

That said, if this is just the one time this is going to happen, you can be gracious and say thank you and then not drink the item but if it's repeated, maybe a conversation can be had... or your boyfriend can mention 'you know, AeneaGrace really loves xyz but she's cut out soy for a while so she'd also really love a abc.

Also, about hating waste.  Yes, it's troublesome but the latte was already created and brought into the world.  Whether you consume it or not has no impact on the fact that those ingredients are used up. You are not a human garbage disposal and eating or drinking something you didn't ask for just because otherwise it's 'wasted' is not a service to you.  For others reading and maybe you, not sure of your context, that same philosophy goes towards eating your kids meal leftovers or crusts, eating the last piece of xzy that you don't REALLY want just because it's there... I consider intention when this type of thing comes up.  You didn't make a steak just to throw it in the garbage, you didn't order two dinners at a restaurant knowing you were only going to eat one etc... if the intention is honest and genuine, then I don't think it's 'waste' that you should feel obligated to consume.

Archived