Cali to Canada, INFINITY & Beyond!

Shaunna

Hi! Welcome to Keren (karrottop) & Shaunna's whole30 log. We met here on the whole9 forum on May 1st when we both started a whole30. It was my first and Keren's second. We finished strong on May 30th. During her whole30, Keren's doctor diagnosed her with IBS so she is going to be eliminating most FODMAP foods from her diet. She loves her fruit & so do I but we both know that we need to limit it. We feel better without it. She also noted that during her whole30 she didn't feel the need to have 3 regular meals all the time and she wasn't tempted to constantly snack throughout the day. *Keren, please add any other positive things you gained from your whole30 :) During my first whole30, I was able to lose 15 lbs, I didn't have a single migraine during those 30 days which is rare for me, my anxiety went way down and this is a huge deal for me, I also noticed that my skin is better and I have less acne. Please note: After we finished our whole30's, we indulged a bit. I did more so than Keren. I had waffles (2 bites & I wanted to die, I felt so sick) hashbrowns (not the worst, but not the best), I had pizza and wine and some sweets. I felt MISERABLE. Keren had sushi, lots of fruit, dates and sweets. We are very anxious to start our whole30 tomorrow, Sunday, June 3rd. I can honestly say I don't want to have any "cheat meals" ever, I only want to put good stuff into my body from here on out. We are going to log our food each day and support each other! I am in California & Keren is in Canada. We are aiming to complete a whole30 but are hoping for a whole45, whole60, or even wholeINFINITY... Hence our thread name ;) Even though we are thousands of miles apart, we rely on each others support and it makes the biggest difference! There were days during my whole30 where I wanted to quit and binge on everything in sight, but I thought of my fellow Paleo friend, Keren, and did not want to let her down. No one in my circle of family/friends follows a Paleo lifestyle, so it's nice to have Keren, we can chat and work through the bad days together and always cheer each other on!

Here are the links to our previous whole30 log's:

http://forum.whole9l...38-day-1-again/

http://forum.whole9l...w-here-i-goooo/

Shaunna and Keren,

I am also starting my first Whole30 today, June 3rd, 2012. It sounds like I am in the same boat as you ladies; your post really resonated with me! Can we be like the three musketeers and support each other through this? I have know much about paleo for a couple years now, and eat paleo most of the time, but usually end up slipping up once a week and have one whole day of nasty binge eating. I competed in a fitness competition of May 12, which I dieted very hard for and was in an extreme calorie deficit for weeks. Since then I have been stuffing myself with so much junk, I have never felt so fat and sick in my life! I'm ready to clean it up and be lean, confident, and feel great again! I'm a 24 year old dental student who lives in Iowa. Lets be friends!!!!

XOXO,

Court

Thanks for starting this Shaunna! Other benefits I gained from the whole 30 include mental clarity, a new, personal definition of what cheat meals should be (NOTHING to do with grains or sugar..only paleo sensible vices), and an understanding for my relationship with fruit and dried fruits.

For this whole 30, I plan on cutting out all fruits and dried fruits on the FODMAPs no-no list, such as apples, pears, plums, cherries, dates. Any FODMAPs-approved fruits, like bananas and berries, will only be seen as VERY occasional indulgences. I don't want to lose any weight. My only goal is to get my gut health in check and get over my fructose cravings:) The only non-whole30 thing that I will allow is Tamari (fermented soy without gluten seems to be fine for me).

I couldn't be more excited to do this with Shaunna, she is hands down one of the nicest human beings I have ever encountered in my life. I am bloody thankful for this forum for bringing us together!

Courtney and anyone else interested, I would LOVEEEE for you to join us on this lifestyle change. Feel free to log your meals, look for support, vent, ANYTHING under this thread. :D

Lastly, today is the first day of not only our whole-"WHATEVER NUMBER OF DAYS" journey, today is the first day of the REST OF OUR LIVES...Let's destroy our food-related problems!

<3

Shaunna and Keren,

I am also starting my first Whole30 today, June 3rd, 2012. It sounds like I am in the same boat as you ladies; your post really resonated with me! Can we be like the three musketeers and support each other through this? I have know much about paleo for a couple years now, and eat paleo most of the time, but usually end up slipping up once a week and have one whole day of nasty binge eating. I competed in a fitness competition of May 12, which I dieted very hard for and was in an extreme calorie deficit for weeks. Since then I have been stuffing myself with so much junk, I have never felt so fat and sick in my life! I'm ready to clean it up and be lean, confident, and feel great again! I'm a 24 year old dental student who lives in Iowa. Lets be friends!!!!

XOXO,

Court

Hi Courtney! We'd love to have you join us :) I look forward to reading your posts each day :)

Thanks for starting this Shaunna! Other benefits I gained from the whole 30 include mental clarity, a new, personal definition of what cheat meals should be (NOTHING to do with grains or sugar..only paleo sensible vices), and an understanding for my relationship with fruit and dried fruits.

For this whole 30, I plan on cutting out all fruits and dried fruits on the FODMAPs no-no list, such as apples, pears, plums, cherries, dates. Any FODMAPs-approved fruits, like bananas and berries, will only be seen as VERY occasional indulgences. I don't want to lose any weight. My only goal is to get my gut health in check and get over my fructose cravings:) The only non-whole30 thing that I will allow is Tamari (fermented soy without gluten seems to be fine for me).

I couldn't be more excited to do this with Shaunna, she is hands down one of the nicest human beings I have ever encountered in my life. I am bloody thankful for this forum for bringing us together!

Courtney and anyone else interested, I would LOVEEEE for you to join us on this lifestyle change. Feel free to log your meals, look for support, vent, ANYTHING under this thread. :D

Lastly, today is the first day of not only our whole-"WHATEVER NUMBER OF DAYS" journey, today is the first day of the REST OF OUR LIVES...Let's destroy our food-related problems!

<3

Well said, Keren :)

Nice! I enjoyed reading both of your logs and glad you're back!

Thanks, Ali! I look forward to reading your posts as well. It's nice that we can relate since we are both nannies! Always a struggle with all the kids junk food around. Although after the first week of my first whole30 I did not want their food. :)

Day 1

All that sweet crap I put into my mouth yesterday has left this disgusting aftertaste in my mouth. I tried chugging water, brushing my teeth...nothing works. It killed my appetite for the day. I'm just going to fast for as long as I can and start eating tomorrow.

I got some bone broth in the fridge waiting for me to reheat :)

I love cooking everyday and hate eating the same thing for days in a row.One big thing that I am going to work on this time around is food prep ahead of time that will make cooking everyday easier. For example, always keep broth, chopped veggies, thawed meats available for quick meal-making:) This will make all the convenience snacks, especially fruits and nuts, less tempting!

This is awesome you ladies are doing this. I like the idea of a WholeInfinity.

Keren - I'm trying to figure out new ways to incorporate bone broth into my life. Have any recipes or ideas you could throw my way?

Keren, I also had a bad binge last night on bagels and ice cream, and that totally killed my appetite today! But I had a good gym session; lifted legs heavy today! And when I got home at 5 pm I had an appetite so I ate 5 scrambled eggs, 1/2 cup sauerkraut, and 1.5 cups of bone broth. I'm hungry right now again... I don't know if it would be best for me to take a shower and wait to see if the feeling goes away, or if I should eat again. One of my goals for this is to lose body fat, as I am not at an ideally healthy or esthetically pleasing body composition right now.

P.S. My number is 319-239-4477 if you want to text/picture message me, whatever!

And I hope everyone is having a great day! I believe that positivity can bring us through almost anything :) :) :)

-Court

Okay, since today is day 1, I just got on the scale to see my starting point. I weigh 140 lbs right now. My goal is to be at 132 lbs at the end of the 30 days. It will be hard, but I will stick to the program and not get on the scale again until day 30. It's funny, because I just competed in a fitness bikini competition on May 12th, and stepped on the the stage weighing 123 lbs. And even before I cut water I was at 125 lbs. Anyone else want to share any embarrassing body measurements? That way we can all rejoice in each others success in 30 days!!!!!

Oh yeah, I also wanted to share my goals with you ladies! So here they are:

1. Stop my hair loss and start to re-grow my once thick head of hair. (I suffer from symptoms of PCOS.)

2. Start having regular, monthly menstrual cycles.

3. Look great in a bikini!!!

4. Lose 8 pounds.

5. Regain self-confidence.

6. Fight, AND WIN, against my food addictions and binge eating habits!

7. Continue to carry on this healthy lifestyle through the rest of my years on earth!

Love,

Court

Hey Courtney, I know our past eating habits are probably all atrocious but fear not, we are stronger than our bad habits.

Just out of curiosity, have you talked to your doctor about not having regular cycles? I'm just worried if weight loss will worsen that symptom? :( I currently don't have a regular cycle either so my doctor told me not to lose any weight.

Either way, I know from first hand experience that the whole 30 can make you feel like you eat A LOT because you've cut out all grains and beans. However, just eat whenever you get hunger pains and slowly your appetite will adjust and shrink. Don't try to deprive and force it to get smaller, that usually just drives me nuts. lol

Can't wait to hear about day 2!

Keren - I'm trying to figure out new ways to incorporate bone broth into my life. Have any recipes or ideas you could throw my way?

Casey, I SUCK at creative cooking. haha I usually just use it in my "kitchen sink" soups where I just throw 4-5 different veggies from my fridge into the pot with eggs, some random spices and call it a meal...not too interesting:( I also use it to blanch my vegggies and then drink up the minerals and vitamins that are released from the process later. :P

Oh yeah, I also wanted to share my goals with you ladies! So here they are:

1. Stop my hair loss and start to re-grow my once thick head of hair. (I suffer from symptoms of PCOS.)

2. Start having regular, monthly menstrual cycles.

3. Look great in a bikini!!!

4. Lose 8 pounds.

5. Regain self-confidence.

6. Fight, AND WIN, against my food addictions and binge eating habits!

7. Continue to carry on this healthy lifestyle through the rest of my years on earth!

Love,

Court

I LOVE THIS!

K girls. I have to be honest. I already messed up on DAY ONE! Ah! I really wanted sourdough bread/toast with butter. I was at work and they had it in their house, won't happen again though! :) So my start date is tomorrow June 4th!

I went to Sprouts (favorite store ever!) and got tons of organic grass fed beef, chicken and bacon along with swiss chard, kale, zucchini, artichokes, broccoli. They didn't have brussel sprouts and a part of my heart broke! I will have to go back in a couple days and get some! When I got home, I realized I forgot to buy eggs! Eggs are a huge staple in my diet. I will get some tomorrow or Tuesday!

I just want to share my favorite recipe for brussel sprouts... cut them in half, steam them for 2-3 minutes, then add crumbled bacon & bacon grease, mix together, put in the oven at 350 for 25-30 min! SO good.

I'm also going to give bone broth a try during this whole30! I just need to find the time to make it :)

Alrighty Shaunna, today is FOREAAAL! No more bread after yesterday :P

Day 2

Breakfast: big ass salad (tomato, jicama, strawberries, cucumber, carrots) with salmon mmmmmm

Snack: big ass bowl of mixed nut (pepitas, pine nuts, sesame seeds) granola with some more carrots

Late Lunch: braised tongue, liver, and pig's feet stew with baby bok choy and possibly mushrooms :P

Not the best day cause it was filled with nuts but I've had worse :/ Tomorrow, I'll be better prepared!

Day 2

Felt great today! Went to bed at 9:30 pm last night, and woke up at 6:30 am this morning. I wanted to sleep longer, but I still had a really good night of sleep! I had energy and felt well during the day today. I was more social/outgoing, and had great concentration. At my workout this afternoon (it is an intense 25 minute full body circuit that is supposed to be repeated 5 times) I was tired after the first 3 rounds, so I stopped there, not wanting to stress my body more than I should. I worked legs and abs yesterday with some pretty heavy weights, and my forearms were pretty shot from my deadlifting yesterday; I think I was not yet fully recovered for my workout today. Next time I will space those two workouts out by a few days. I am going to perform this circuit workout once a week for the next 8 weeks.

Here is the link to the workout I do: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX2go-0tE4M

My meals will be the same everyday for this whole week because I meal planned and prepped for the whole week this weekend. For me, planning what I eat ahead of time helps me stay on track, and eating the same thing everyday eliminates a lot of variables, so it is easier to track changes my body is making. So here are my meals today:

Breakfast: 5 scrambled eggs & 1/3 cup berries & 2 cups mint tea

Lunch: 7 oz ground beef (grass-fed) stir-fried with kale, celery, mushrooms and topped with 1/2 avocado

Dinner: 7 oz salmon, 2 cups bone broth with 1 Tbls dulse flakes (seaweed), 40 grams sauerkraut & 150 grams sweet potato

Supplements: multivitamin, DHA/EPA, & Insulite Labs PCOS Nutracueticals for treating my PCOS

Nutrient breakdown: 1,660 calories, 70 grams carbs (17%), 90 grams fat (49%), 136 grams protein (34%)

What do you think? See any nutrition gaps? Too many calories or carbs for fat loss? Is this ok? Opinions?

I have also eliminated salt, except for the 1/2 TBLS that I put in my whole pot of bone broth.

I drank water throughout the day. Biked to and from class. And donated plasma.

So ladies, how was your day? :D

Love,

Court

Courtney! You are an inspiration. Wow, I can already tell you are going to totally conquer this and complete your whole30 strong! What an inspiration :) I think all of your food sounds great! I love how regimented you are. I think you're awesome for being able to eat the same thing everyday, I can totally see how that sets you up for success!

Day 1

breakfast - nothing

lunch - 2 ground beef burgers, 2 cups broccoli, 3 pieces bacon, 8 blueberries, water

dinner - 1/2 grilled chicken breast, 1/2 burger, 1 cup broccoli, 1 slice watermelon, water

snacks - 2 eggs, 1/2 chicken breast, more broccoli, water

So basic & boring! But it works. Tomorrow will have more variety. Today was not such a great day for me, just one of those "off" days. From start to finish. I had planned on working out but didn't get home until 9:30 pm & I had to cook most of my food for tomorrow. It's now 11:30 pm! Time for bed :)

*I started taking digestive enzymes today because I had my gall bladder removed a few years ago, I did some research & feel that it will be beneficial to take them. I'm also adding Magnesium to help me fall asleep at night. I'll keep you guys updated on how it works!

Day 3

breakfast: braised pork feet and liver with a tomato, carrot, and cucumber salad

lunch: bigggg cup of joe

dinner: roasted veggies (zucchini, eggplant, and tomato), leek and mushroom warm salad, and grilled tandoori pork loin

snack: orange, jicama, and more liver :P

Pretty clean eating, no cravings, and zero guilt.

The only thing is, I snacked pretty late at night:S Oh well! I was hungry after crossfit hehe.

Courtney, your log looks WICKED. Keep it up!

Shaunna, that's a great first day! Can't wait to hear about tomorrow. (I LOVEDDDDD the picture of ryan and his sister reading<3 ADORABLE!)

Archived