Egg Protein and post workout meal

I am just beginning my Whole30.  (DAY 2).  I go to the gym at 6:00 am and most times go straight to work afterwards.  Is it okay for me to have egg protein and some form of carbs and fat for my postworkout meal?  I do plan to have some days when I pack things like boiled eggs, avocado, olives, etc but want to know if that can be supplemented on days when I am in a hurry as well.

• Moderators
On 5/13/2021 at 5:49 PM, michelej3 said:

egg protein and some form of carbs and fat for my postworkout meal

Yes, as long as you can find a product that has compatible ingredients.  The one thing is that we recommend post workout not include fat - fat slows the absorption of protein which for meals is what we want so that you stay full longer. For post workout, we don't want it slowed, we want the protein to uptake as quickly as possible.

Now, that all said, unless you're a pro athlete or training for some type of body building competition, eating fat with your post workout is not going to be problematic, you just might find that your recovery rates are slightly slower. If a hardboiled egg and some olives is what you want after workout, do that.  If what you want is chicken and yams, do that... 

You may also find that as you move through the program,  you want to try and optimize your recovery and see how not eating fat after workout goes. 

So, to make a long story short - optimally, post workout is lean protein and carbs - in general anything you eat is going to be of benefit to you.

Here's an article that might help.

https://whole30.com/whole30-pre-workout-post-workout/

Archived