Constipation/bloating

I've been Paleo/Whole 9 for about 4 weeks, and my gut has slowed down like nobody's business! I was eating fish, eggs, grains, legumes before this (I was dairy-free), but no chicken, beef, etc., until I started paleo. I'm sure this could be a big factor with the constipation, but I thought I'd have a flatter stomach without all the sugar and lectins. I take probiotics and fish oil daily.

Any tips, please?? Thanks!

There isn't really enough information here to determine what could be going on. It could be a lot of things: not enough veggies, not enough fat, your gut bacteria may have yet to catch up with your switch to eating other meat products. Lots of variables, not enough details. What's your typical daily intake like?

OK, more info! I do have a history of ulcerative colitis, but I've been in remission for about 4 years, and I've managed to get rid of all medications by managing my diet.

I eat a lot of the same foods on a regular basis: eggs, chicken, beef, salmon, sardines for protein; spinach, sweet peppers, broccoli, romaine lettuce, a rare sweet potato; berries (black, blue, raspberries, and strawberries), pineapple, cantelope, pears; and for fats I eat olives, olive oil, coconut butter, avocado, and some nuts (had to cut out nuts this week as a trial because I was getting waaaay too hooked on almond butter and eating it like it was going out of style!). I have to cook most veggies because raw ones in bulk are hard on my gut.

I eat Zone-like portions based upon my lean body mass, but I try to listen to my body and tweak it as needed.

Please let me know what other info would help. Thanks!!

I was struggling with the same problem...tried everything! I have since cut my nut intake way down along with my coconut flour use...also have added Betaine HCL with Pepsin with each meal along with a Digestive Enzyme and I've become very regular (YAY!)...I also take probiotics every morning. I really think the HCL and DE are what's working for me though...

hi, for whatever it's worth, when i went no starch, which is popular in this paleo world, i was not 'regular.' adding back about 100 grams of starch per day (sweet potatoes, taro, green plantains, and fruit) completely solves this issue.

no two guts are alike! but we all know that a healthy flow feels good, so i wish you the best :)

Hi,

I'm hoping for some help!

I am on day 20 of my Whole30 journey and about a week ago, I started getting super bloated all the time. I usually do 'around that time of month' for a couple days, but this has gone on over a week now. I was pretty strict Paleo before starting Whole30, so it wasn't like it was a huge change for me besides cutting out certain snacks and whatnot.

It almost feels like I am constipated, as I haven't been as normal as I used to be... It's extremely frustrating feeling this bloated all day. Any suggestions? I'm open to anything.

Thanks! :) Happy Whole30ing!

• 2 years later...

Hi,

I'm hoping for some help!

I am on day 20 of my Whole30 journey and about a week ago, I started getting super bloated all the time. I usually do 'around that time of month' for a couple days, but this has gone on over a week now. I was pretty strict Paleo before starting Whole30, so it wasn't like it was a huge change for me besides cutting out certain snacks and whatnot.

It almost feels like I am constipated, as I haven't been as normal as I used to be... It's extremely frustrating feeling this bloated all day. Any suggestions? I'm open to anything.

Thanks! http://forum.whole9life.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/smile.png Happy Whole30ing!

This is 3 years in the past and it looks like no one responded, but it's EXACTLY what my problem is right now. I hope someone sees this and helps!

There's three things that come to mind:

1: are you drinking green tea? If so, eliminate it--it is known to be constipating for some.

2: nuts can also be constipating

3: drink more water. You're probably eating more fiber and if you're short on water (or your body may just need more water), the fiber can sit in your gut like a cement block.

This is 3 years in the past and it looks like no one responded, but it's EXACTLY what my problem is right now. I hope someone sees this and helps!

Can you post a few days of your food intake including serving sizes. Also include water intake, activity level, sleep, and stress. It is very hard to help without knowing specifics of your context.

• 1 year later...

I was having a problem too with constipation. I've been on a good probiotic but it wasn't helping. I started adding some coconut oil to my coffee in the morning (as suggested above to add a little fat) and that did the trick! Also make sure to drink enough water, that was hard for me. 

• 1 year later...

I’m on day 13 of my whole 30, and around day 9 I started having intense bloating and ultimately became constipated day 11&12, which is unusual because I’ve always been regular. I’ve been well balanced with my meals and water consumption and taking probiotics and digestive enzymes all along. I tried adding coconut oil to my coffee this morning and it worked! I feel much better already! Thanks for the tip!

• 10 months later...

This topic is a little old but I had to research. 

I started whole30 (currently day 11) because I usually suffer from constipation, IBS and a lot of stomach related issues and I’m hoping to find the culprit. 

Week 1 I was severely constipated for 6 days and was feeling Pretty terrible. I wanted to take Fibrosol or similar but realised it was corn based and didn’t want to ruin the rest of the diet. Day 6 & 7 I took Senakot and nothing happened. Desperate, by day 9 I took 100% organic prune juice and that had a pretty instant (albeit a little intense) effect. I’m worried about the sugar though in that.

Now day 11 and I’m back where I was. Stomach ache, pain, constipated.

im taking probiotics in the morning and Digestive Enzymes when I remember (will try more regularly) but I’m really surprised with all the veg I’m having, I thought Whole30 would improve this, not worsen. 

Diet details

- Breakfast: papaya, sometimes a banana, black coffee

- Lunch: broccoli, tomatoes, chicken, egg, avocado salad (occasional sweet potato, strawberry and apple)

- snack: occasional small hand of almonds

- dinner: fish/chicken/meatballs always with veg: broccoli (most common), tomatoes, eggplant, carrots, pumpkin, spinach etc 

any help or suggestions and I would be super great full :-) 

• Moderators

@zesty_ruffles sorry you're not feeling great. 

Are you drinking plenty of water? Aim for 1/2 oz of water per pound of body weight, so a 120-lb person needs at least 60 oz. This can make a big difference if you're not getting enough.

Some probiotics work better than others, and some may work better for some people than other people, so definitely be sure you're getting a high quality version and if it's not helping, you could look into other brands. You could also consider adding food-based probiotics through fermented vegetables like sauerkraut, kimchi, or some pickles. Some people find kombucha helpful as well (here's more about finding a compliant version, though since your profile says you're in Singapore, I don't know how helpful it will be since it's based on US labeling information:  https://whole30.com/2016/08/kombucha/). 

As for vegetables, it's hard to tell how much you're really having each day, but you should be aiming for 2-3 cups of vegetables at each meal, even breakfast. (Check the meal template for more details: https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/). Try to have at least one fist-sized serving of a starchy vegetable like sweet potato, potato, other root vegetables like carrots, beets, parsnips, or turnips, winter squashes like butternut or acorn squash or pumpkin, or plantains. It's okay to have more than that, but try to have at least that much. Then have a variety of other vegetables. 

Archived