Start Date May 24th!

AmyRose

I will be starting my Whole30 on May 24, this coming Monday. It will be my first day back home from vacation, my first day back in the office after a week off, and the first day of a true life change for me. 

I have done a whole 30 before, successfully, and I learned a lot about how my body works well and what it really dislikes. This time I plan to re-educate myself and build a healthy diet that works the best with my body. It’s the first big step in changing my life for the best. 

My best wishes to all of you. We got this!

Hi! I am also starting tomorrow. I had a very successful round a few years ago, but have hard a time sticking with it every time I've tried again. I feel mentally ready and have already prepped some food. Would love an accountability partner!

OK - Day 3 and I'm rockin' this!

I cooked up some White Chicken Chili just before Day 1, and it's been a great choice for lunches. I add riced cauliflower and an avocado, and I eat like a queen.

So far, breakfasts have been scrambled eggs with spinach or mushrooms or asparagus (or all three), but I really need to plan something different so I don't burn out on that. For dinner I have more time to make something lovely, so it's shrimp or scallops with a few veggies on the side.

I also have a treat late in the evening - a little bowl of blueberries & raspberries to eat one at a time.

Feeling good right now. No grumpiness or weird hunger yet.

How is everyone else doing?

Day 4 and I’m doing pretty good. I have been making some great dinners. Last night I made cauliflower rice and then coconut mango chicken tagine. I found it on someone’s blog I think. So good I’m definitely making it again. I’m gonna share the recipe below  

in terms of how I’m feeling, well happily I started feeling better yesterday.  No bloating and I have been having bowel movements once a day!!!!  That’s huge for me since I’m usually constipated for a week or so at a time. 

https://www.iqliving.com/blogs/iqlivingblog/88438148-our-favorite-recipes-moroccan-mango-chicken-tagine

@BrochaThat recipe looks awesome! And I just happen to have some garam masala in my cupboard, so this must be a sign that I should try it.  Is it very spicy, though? I’m not sure what two dried peppers would do in a recipe, and I am such a baby about spicy food. I like my food mild, like white-white people from the Midwest mIld (which I am, by the way, so I’m allowed to say that). I would hate to ruin a wonderful recipe by making it too hot to eat for a whiner like me.

Well I’m also not great with heat so I used cayenne piercer and I did it to what I think would be palatable.  It’s sooooooo yummy. I’m even making it again tomorrow.  

I don’t remember if I mentioned the synergy cosmic cranberry kombucha.  It’s the only one that I think tastes good to me.  

good luck this weekend!

My Day 5 was unexpectedly chaotic, with a trip to the vet that I had not planned. It completely messed up my food plans and I finally got to eat at 2 o’clock in the afternoon.  Still with no W30 food on hand, I stopped at Chipotle and got their Whole 30 Bowl. It was great. OK, I admit I was super hungry, but it was still surprisingly good. They have riced cauliflower flavored with lime now, and they add roasted vegetables, chicken, lettuce, salsa and guacamole. Highly recommend!

Whatever it takes, every day, I am going to do this!

She’ll be ok - sick guinea pig, and they can die easily. But we have meds and she’s already doing better. Thanks for asking!

I hope your W30 is going well, and you have great plans for the coming week.

Week 2 Day 8!  How are you all doing?  My weekend was good, didnt stray but I also didnt eat at normal times.  And yesterday I didnt eat dinner at all.

I dont really have a meal plan for this week, I kind of wing it.  I find recipes today make those for dinner and make extra for lunches.  Breakfast I have either salad and eggs or salad and fish.

I started taking multi vitamins and turmeric pills Friday and I am slightly concerned its cause me to be constipated.  Ill look it up.

ANyone wanna share how they are doing?

Hi Brocha! Thank you for posting!! Day 8 - I looked up what was said for Day 8 in my Day by Day book and it talked a lot about food cravings and temptation to cave in to them. Do you notice that at all? I pretty much tracked with what the books say will happen day by day. I looked back at my notes for Days 8 and 9. I was still pretty tired and energy was low. I actually was having cravings for bananas. I forgot about that. I wasn't sleeping either. Waking up. That's when I decided to ditch the coffee. I did it slowly. Quitting set my progress back a bit. But then I recovered and my last week on Whole30 things improved.

I finished my Whole 30 yesterday. I'm going for 60 days. I like starting with day 1 on the first of the month because it's easier to remember what day I'm on. Silly I know, but it did help. So May 31...what do I do with May 31? I guess I'm now on a Whole61. I'll just stay on the path... I feel better, but there is still room for improvement. I kept my food choices pretty simple through the Whole 30. I tried the salmon cakes and the shepherd's pie (in the Whole 30 book). I also made mayo but then found a compliant mayo at the store. That was so much easier than making it every week. I also found compliant salad dressings at the store. I love the Happy Eggs! I didn't crave much. At first I didn't even feel like eating.  My anxiety levels are much lower now. The panicky feelings I was having before are gone now. The silent reflux is better but I'm hoping for more improvement there. So I'm happy with the progress. 

My constipation really cleared up during the last 30 days. No problem now. I hope that happens for you too. Don't forget to drink water. I found myself going through the day thinking about food and forgetting water. And lots of vegies helps. Especially greens. I didn't take many vitamins. Magnesium and vitamin D3. I pretty much ate the same things every day. But I've always done that. I'm not much of a foodie so sticking to a routine was easy for me. But once in a while I'd get tired of the same old thing and I would go to the Whole30 book for ideas. I use more seasonings now. I ate 3 good meals a day. I followed the meal template in the book. I wasn't even hungry in between meals. I didn't have the food dreams mentioned but I did have vivid dreams about other things! My sleep has improved in the last few days. Slept through the night - yay! Who knew?

So that's my story so far. I hope it goes smoothly for you and that at the end of your Whole30 you see lots of progress. If not, there's always a Whole45 or 60...

Thank you again for posting. It can be a lonely journey without others to share it with. Let me know how you are doing OK? I started checking every day but quickly figured out that the Forum is quieter than it used to be so I check once in a while now. Hopefully it picks up on June 1!

Laurie

Hi Laurie

Thanks for responding.  I also remember when I did W30 3 years ago, that there was a lot more posting on subjects.  But its ok, both of my sisters-in-law are doing this with me so we motivate each other.

The interesting thing about my doing this is that I really do eat quote healthy generally with the occasional holiday foods.  I'm also a very black and white all or nothing type of person.  So dropping everything on day one wasn't such a big deal.  Coffee included.  I just switched to tea (caffeine free).  I keep a 64 oz water bottle on my desk which is helpful to remind me to drink.  Otherwise I wouldn't get up to get water.

Anyway, thanks for writing.  Good luck with W60 keep us informed!

Day 10, and I’m still on plan. I expected today to be harder than it was, just because day 10 and 11 are often the days that people quit Whole 30.  I have noticed in the last two days that I’m in a better mood and I’m able to work through the day without any problems. I even have some extra energy in the evening. That’s been a big change for me. 

I’m still eating white chicken chili occasionally, filling in with veggie omelettes and shrimp and roast chicken. I’m going through a lot of vegetables, but I stocked up over the weekend so I should be fine now. 

Lunch today was a BAS, and it was fabulous. Romaine with avocado, chicken, carrots, tomatoes, raspberries and blueberries. And that’s a whole 30 dressing, but I can’t remember what kind

E806EFD2-2417-410C-BF19-F9824E6E4B76.jpeg

That looks really good!

Guys, I've been feeling heavy/fat these past two days.  Not mentally, like I'm always full and not really looking forward to the next meal.  I've been snacking less.  I'm wondering if I am eating too much at each meal.  Its always, BIG salad, some protein and a veggie.  What am I doing wrong?

Day 11 has got me :unsure:

Are you feeling any better today, Brocha?  I’m hoping all that heaviness will pass for you and the real whole 30 magic will start to kick in. You can always eat less at a meal, although that’s pretty hard for me to teach myself. It really is a struggle sometimes to remember that I don’t need as much as I think I do. 

My boss took the whole office out to lunch today to celebrate someone’s birthday.  I was kind of disappointed, because I had packed a fabulous salad with taco meat that I made last night. But then we got to the restaurant, and I ordered a phenomenal chopped salad with shrimp! I even checked to make sure that the vinaigrette had no sugar in it.  Really, I would’ve been OK if it did because I had a bottle of salad dressing in my purse. (I would not admit that to anyone except you) 

And my taco salad was perfect for dinner.

We are almost 2 full weeks into this, and almost halfway through. We totally rock!

• 3 weeks later...

I am on day 4 and it’s going well, so far. Yesterday I had a headache, but that is the worst so far. I was a HORRIBLE eater, prior to starting.  A day could consist of endless cheese balls, Corn Pops cereal, some chocolate and lots of stevia sweetened tea... yes, I’m serious.  I am a really picky eater (was raised on very limited meal choices). The Whole30 has forced me to try a few new things, in the past couple of days, but I’m afraid I’m going to get bored with my food choices. Is there any where on this forum or somewhere else, that talks about “picky eater” options/ideas?  I am not going to fail at this!!  I am almost 57YO and my 5th granddaughter is due in mid-September. I want to live long enough to see my grandchildren grow up and be healthy enough to do things with them.  Thank you, for any advice. 

GUYS TODAY IS DAY 30!  How are you feeling?  

I'm feeling great!  I actually think Im going to keep this up for as long as possible.  See where this goes.  There are only a few things I miss, but like I've said I'm and all or nothing person, so I have gotten very good and not giving in to the temptations. 

I have not been bloated and I think that has a lot to do with grains and dairy. 

But i will say I miss a good glass of wine!

• Moderators
On 6/21/2021 at 7:37 PM, BettySpaghetti said:

I am on day 4 and it’s going well, so far. Yesterday I had a headache, but that is the worst so far. I was a HORRIBLE eater, prior to starting.  A day could consist of endless cheese balls, Corn Pops cereal, some chocolate and lots of stevia sweetened tea... yes, I’m serious.  I am a really picky eater (was raised on very limited meal choices). The Whole30 has forced me to try a few new things, in the past couple of days, but I’m afraid I’m going to get bored with my food choices. Is there any where on this forum or somewhere else, that talks about “picky eater” options/ideas?  I am not going to fail at this!!  I am almost 57YO and my 5th granddaughter is due in mid-September. I want to live long enough to see my grandchildren grow up and be healthy enough to do things with them.  Thank you, for any advice. 

If you Google whole30 picky eater, you should find some past discussions of this. 

In general, don't be afraid to try new things. And with vegetables especially, try them prepared in different ways -- some you may prefer raw, some you may like roasted, almost none are really at their best steamed or boiled to the point of mushiness but that's the way many of us grew up eating them (although if that's what you like, that's fine, whatever cooking method results in vegetables you actually eat is a good cooking method). Try new sauces and dips -- many of them are easy to make if you've got an immersion/stick blender, and they can change the flavor of foods completely. Look for Whole30 versions of pesto or chimichurri or spinach dip or whatever others you come across that sound good, and dip veggies in them, or put them on top of chicken or burger patties to change up the flavor.

Archived