Scale withdrawal

I'm on day 3 of my first Whole30. Doing great with the food although I miss salad dressing immensely. Feeling good but I am REALLY stuggling to not get on the scale! I know it's only been a few days and there probably isn't much change. I'm dying to check. I'm paranoid that I won't lose weight this month and I don't want to "waste" a whole month if it's not helping me lose. Would a weekly weigh in really be a terrible thing?(yes, I'm looking for permission to break the rules!) ;)

No scales. Sorry, I know how hard that is too! Put the scale in the attic or somewhere where it won't tempt you...

Why don't you make some homemade salad dressing? Make some mayo and add some garlic, parsley, scallions, s&p...bam...homemade ranch!

Focus on healing your body and the weight loss will come...the month won't be a waste even if you don't lose weight.

Hang in there!

I too suggest making your own dressing. Try this http://eatingforidiots.com/#!/post/20333247979/homemade-ranch-dressing-ive-been-making-all

Also stopping weighing was one of the best things I've done for myself. It allowed me to focus on all of the other benefits from eating well...all the physical and emotional benefits I was ignoring in light of the number on the scale which is nearly USELESS. I've been talking to a woman who has been panicked because she's gained a few lbs...but she then later admitted her clothes were falling off of her and she's wearing the smallest clothes she's ever worn...and she was still freaked out by the scale! It just makes no sense. Ditch it. I didn't even take measurements on my whole30. I DID however try on a tight fitting shirt I couldn't wear anymore just about everyday and it was clear how it kept fitting better and better through my 30 days. Now several months later I still don't weigh myself ever, and that shirt is too big.

• 2 weeks later...

Still really struggling with my scale issue HOWEVER, my husband found a really cute dress he wanted to get me. I told him a few weeks ago I was a 12, but they also had a 10. He decided that I would fit into the 10(yes, I have an amazingly supportive husband!) and that's what he purchased. I was VERY skeptical because I have not been a 10 in nearly a decade, but I figured if I kept to the plan, hopefully I'd get to wear it by the end of summer. IT FIT!! No zipper struggle or lack of ability to breath! It actually fit!! It's a little snug in the belly area, but I'm guessing within a week or so(if I can lay off the nuts) it will be plenty loose. I also had to trade in my "larger" 12 capris for the "smaller" 12's. My husband doesn't get the large and small version of sizes, but you ladies know what I mean. I pulled out a pair of 10's to have on hand for the day those are too big also. Yes, I do have every size ranging from 20 to 10, after that I have to start stealing my daughter's clothes. ;) I'm already eyeing a few pieces in her wardrobe.

I was so excited that I actually posted pics to FB! I have been so embarrassed of my weight, that I've never posted pics of myself of FB. The comments I'm getting from friends and family that haven't seen me since I went Paleo are SO encouraging! We went to a family reunion on Sunday and while the rest of the family members have gotten bigger, I am down several sizes and feel amazing! My aunt actually screamed when she saw me and declared that I look 15 years younger! I feel it~Whole 30 rocks!!

Congratulations!!! This post is so much better than any number on the scale! If you jumped on it right now and it told you you hadn't lost a pound would that undo everything else you've accomplished and what your friends and family are testifying to you every time they see you? Keep rocking your whole 30 and say good bye to that horrid mistress the scale!!!

Congratulations jonalynn! I call it playing dress-up when I go into my closet and try on different sizes. What fits, too big, not there yet, etc. Who needs to go to a department store to shop, just open the closet door!

I miss my scale that I peeked this morning. It's not what I hoped for going into day 12. OK, yes, some of my clothes are looser. Do I have to start all over for peeking at the scale? It's in the back of the closet now.

Keep up the good work!

Lifepm~it's great that your clothes are looser. It is SO hard to not get on the scale. Well, Melissa would say it isn't "quitting a drug habit is hard", but I disagree. ;) I'm pretty sure you don't have to start over, especially since you've now put it away. Just think how great we're going to feel by the end of this month!!

Thanks, NLK!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I am Jill and I am a weigh-in-aholic. Yep, I am a scale junkie too, Pre-Whole30 I weighed myself every single day, first thing in the morning, before I drank or ate anything, but after I used the facilities.

I cannot wait to weigh myself on Day 31, seriously, we are going to be out of state for the July 4th holiday and I am tempted to take a scale with me...ok, I am not really going to, if I have demonstrated anything to myself this past 20 days, it's that, I am STRONG :) I can wait an extra day or two.

I have been +200 pounds for about 6 years, and I just know I am going to see something significant, but, even if I don't, the changes that I can already see have been amazing. My belly, though not a six pack, is missing the extra bloat that made it stick out even further, my face is looking clear and lean, and The new "old" wardrobe is a plus too.

good luck!

Archived