msmirnio

Hi Folks,

I've seen this commented elsewhere but wanted to dedicate a post to the Bullet Proof Coffee bonanza (http://www.bulletproofexec.com/how-to-make-your-coffee-bulletproof-and-your-morning-too/). I'd love to know:

1) Have any of you tried it? Naturally on the Whole30 we would only used clarified butter/ghee.

2) Can we make this Whole30 legal by considering the ghee in the coffee to be our Meal 1 serving of fat? Then just eat protein and veggies to complete the meal?

Thanks!

What are the amounts you use? How much oil for example?

Bulletproof coffee is generally 1 teaspoon of butter blended into black coffee. I used to do that, plus a tablespoonish of coconut oil, a tablespoon of gelatin (great lakes brand), a sprinkle of cinnamon and a bit of vanilla extract. On Whole 30, I just do the oil, cinnamon & gelatin. I don't use measuring spoons, just estimate. You can use ghee, but I haven't.

I would start with 1/2 tablespoon of oil and work up to a full...or more if you want!

There are so many variations, I believe the most basic might be 1 tbsp clarified butter (ghee) with a standard 6-8oz cup black coffee. I just tried that...it's only OK I don't feel ah-mazing so here's a question/theory:

Since us Whole30-ers already are used to having a serving of fat for breakfast, I don't know if mixing the Meal 1 fat with coffee really changes anything and gives us super powers. I wonder if people think that mixing fat with coffee in the morning is amazing because they're not used to incorporating fat so early? Whereas we are...

Thoughts?

I think you can have bulletproof coffee but remember in general we are not really fans of drinking meals or nutrition. From a whole30 perspective, there's nothing exceptional about drinking coffee this way that wouldn't be comparable to just say, cooking with ghee and coconut oil rather than drinking it.

There are so many variations, I believe the most basic might be 1 tbsp clarified butter (ghee) with a standard 6-8oz cup black coffee. I just tried that...it's only OK I don't feel ah-mazing so here's a question/theory:

Since us Whole30-ers already are used to having a serving of fat for breakfast, I don't know if mixing the Meal 1 fat with coffee really changes anything and gives us super powers. I wonder if people think that mixing fat with coffee in the morning is amazing because they're not used to incorporating fat so early? Whereas we are...

Thoughts?

msmirnio, that's a very interesting point. I think you might be on to something.

I'm stumbling across posts about this today!

How does it taste?

I find it creamy, delicious and satisfying. There's a slight slickness to it but I was already putting coconut oil in ("on") my coffee so I was used to the feeling oil on top of my coffee. Using a blender incorporates the fat and the effect is creamier than using coconut oil (although I can't say how it would be to blend coconut oil; haven't tried that).

butter/ghee seems weird in coffee to me. How does it taste?

The official site is about drinking it as a meal to fat power start your day. They use grass fed butter and an oil that has mct. You blend it in a blender. We of course would use ghee and coconut oil and drink it with a proper meal. It is amazingly delicious. You do have to blend it though. The fats need to immulsify into the coffee. I decided it made me love the coffee too much and I gave up coffee for my whole 30 and now for my whole 100.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi there! I am on day one of my second whole30. I have been drinking a variation of bullet proof coffee from healthful pursuit called rocket fuel coffee, which I believe would still be legal- coconut oil, chia seeds, cacao, coconut milk and I just leave out the sweetener.

Hi there! I am on day one of my second whole30. I have been drinking a variation of bullet proof coffee from healthful pursuit called rocket fuel coffee, which I believe would still be legal- coconut oil, chia seeds, cacao, coconut milk and I just leave out the sweetener.

You can do this, just remember that for some people, this sort of beverage pushes FOOD off their plate in the morning, which isn't a good thing. For your whole30 prioritize eating protein and vegetables, adding the coffee alongside as your fat source. ALSO, note that while chia seeds are permitted, they aren't encouraged. Check this out: 

Chia: Yes

These “seeds” aren’t the same botanical family of seeds that we eliminate with grains and legumes, so that makes them fine to eat during your Whole30.

Tip: Chia isn’t likely to cause you any serious trouble, but it’s not the omega-3 super-food it’s made out to be, either. We explain why in It Starts With Food, but in summary, chia should be treated like any other nut and consumed in limited quantities.

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.s087c6N7.dpuf

• 2 weeks later...

I don't drink coffee and haven't for years, but have been curious to try this especially after just starting my first Whole30.  I'm trying to find a good pre workout since I get up at 4:30 to workout at 5.  Would you recommend this???

I don't like the idea of bulletproof coffee because it legitimizes coffee. Which you shouldn't be dependent on to begin with. The Whole30 coffee manifesto is very clear about that. 

If the benefit of bulletproof coffee is to get fat at breakfast, then why not drink something else with a spoonful of fat in it, like nut milk or broth? Why not just take a spoonful of ghee or coconut oil plain? Why coffee? It seems like coffee is being advocated only because people are already dependent on their morning coffee and this accommodates their addiction rather than encouraging them to switch to a new drink.

I'm not saying coffee is evil, just saying bulletproof coffee doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

• 5 months later...

I'm on Day 8 now and I made a version of bulletproof coffee (no caps because it's the idea rather than the branded products I'm talking about here) for the first time with the W30. I've been using coffee and/or black tea in the morning with coconut cream, which has been nice, but I haven't made this bpc recipe in a while and wanted to integrate it into breakfast and see how it worked.

So far it seems ok - and at this point, I'm finding my overall satiety better than initially, though early on I found myself eating more potatoes and such to create a sense of fullness. Now I'm also adjusting to the lag time in feeling full (whereas before I imagine I was probably overeating, since I'd eat until I felt full, when most seem to agree that it takes 20-30 minutes for the body to register satiety, hence the benefit of eating a meal more slowly.)..

Anyway I mention that because I was interested in how having bpc for breakfast (and supplementing with veggies and fruit) would leave me feeling, and how long the energy would hang on. I drank 2 cups of coldbrew coffee with coconut cream over several hours yesterday (I teach and am on my feet and talking for about 6 hours straight, so long-lasting energy is crucial) and I found myself remarkably well held together.

I wanted to share the bpc recipe a friend and I concocted by bringing together a few notions of good food and such.

Along with sufficient ground for one cup of coffee (I use a pour-over and filter, but with the spices I think an aeropress or French press would be ideal), add (basically a pinch of each):

- black pepper,

- sea salt,

- turmeric,

- cinnamon,

- cloves,

- cardamom, and

- nutmeg.

Crack one egg per cup and pour out the white and put the whole yolk in the base of whatever vessel the coffee is going into. Slower heat seems better for making the yolk into a soft, custardy liquid rather than cooking it outright. Initially I thought this would handle the protein element, but on second thought I think getting rid of the white would remove that portion from the egg, so perhaps it's better to include the white, which additionally would whip nicely into something with more structure in terms of foam.

It's quite tasty, and a long while back I used to pair it regularly with a breakfast smoothie, not that I've done that recently especially since the base was milk kefir, which I've put on hold for at least the rest of my W30.

I'll take a few days of doing this and report back with my personal impression of how it leaves me feeling. (I see this is a somewhat older thread.)

Oops, completely forgot to mention that I have been making this version with a blend of ghee and coconut oil, and some coconut cream. Trying to balance the blend of fats still, as this is the first time I've not simply used butter and coconut oil (rather than a branded MCT product).. I believe the overall fats per cup as far as the cream, ghee, and oil are concerned at a teaspoon per serving. 

• Moderators

I'm on Day 8 now and I made a version of bulletproof coffee (no caps because it's the idea rather than the branded products I'm talking about here) for the first time with the W30. I've been using coffee and/or black tea in the morning with coconut cream, which has been nice, but I haven't made this bpc recipe in a while and wanted to integrate it into breakfast and see how it worked.

So far it seems ok - and at this point, I'm finding my overall satiety better than initially, though early on I found myself eating more potatoes and such to create a sense of fullness. Now I'm also adjusting to the lag time in feeling full (whereas before I imagine I was probably overeating, since I'd eat until I felt full, when most seem to agree that it takes 20-30 minutes for the body to register satiety, hence the benefit of eating a meal more slowly.)..

Anyway I mention that because I was interested in how having bpc for breakfast (and supplementing with veggies and fruit) would leave me feeling, and how long the energy would hang on. I drank 2 cups of coldbrew coffee with coconut cream over several hours yesterday (I teach and am on my feet and talking for about 6 hours straight, so long-lasting energy is crucial) and I found myself remarkably well held together.

I wanted to share the bpc recipe a friend and I concocted by bringing together a few notions of good food and such.

Along with sufficient ground for one cup of coffee (I use a pour-over and filter, but with the spices I think an aeropress or French press would be ideal), add (basically a pinch of each):

- black pepper,

- sea salt,

- turmeric,

- cinnamon,

- cloves,

- cardamom, and

- nutmeg.

Crack one egg per cup and pour out the white and put the whole yolk in the base of whatever vessel the coffee is going into. Slower heat seems better for making the yolk into a soft, custardy liquid rather than cooking it outright. Initially I thought this would handle the protein element, but on second thought I think getting rid of the white would remove that portion from the egg, so perhaps it's better to include the white, which additionally would whip nicely into something with more structure in terms of foam.

It's quite tasty, and a long while back I used to pair it regularly with a breakfast smoothie, not that I've done that recently especially since the base was milk kefir, which I've put on hold for at least the rest of my W30.

I'll take a few days of doing this and report back with my personal impression of how it leaves me feeling. (I see this is a somewhat older thread.)

Even with a whole egg, this is not enough protein for a meal. When eggs are your only protein source, a serving is as many whole eggs as you can hold in your hand, which is likely three or four.

To ultimately have the energy you need, you would be better served to develop the habit of having a big meal of protein, fat, and vegetables every morning, with coffee as an extra item added to your breakfast rather than the focus of it.

Shannon, thanks for the reminder about what constitutes a serving of eggs. I'm using the W30 printout to guide the overall meal portions but it can be inexact sometimes. 

I'm not sure I could get three eggs into my hand, but I am a bit on the small side.. XD

Archived