Do I have to start over?!

Jenna Carpenter

First-time whole30-er here. I'm on day 9 and last night attended a belated holiday dinner with my coworkers. I was really nervous going into the dinner because I'm not a big sweet snacker. Deserts and sugar don't really do it for me. Give me salts and breads and cheeses and alcohol any day. That's my achilles. Especially living in NYC and working in advertising (such a cliche, I know). My social life revolves around happy hours and dining out, or working late and conveniently ordering take out from the place down the block via an app on my phone.

Anyway, I've had a strong resolve over the past 9 days which is really weird for me. Usually I start a health kick and drop off after the first week. But I'm not as tired or foggy, my skin has cleared up and the aches and pains are diminished. I'm starting to feel real good. And I'm proud of myself. Haven't had a drink for 10 days and that's a big deal for me. I see myself sticking with this for the duration of the 30 and maybe even beyond.

But let me get back to dinner. This is getting long-winded. I looked over the menu carefully and even told the server I had a dairy aversion. He had me identify 2-3 menu options and he'd inquire with the chef on how they were prepared. I settled on roasted chicken, subbed more veggies for the mashed potatoes. Server assured me everything was dairy-free aside from the mashed potatoes. The chicken and green beans were amazing (I'm pretty sure they were just steamed, nothing added that I could taste), but soon after eating my stomach started feeling weird and I got a dull headache. Other than the entree, I had a 3-4 raw oysters with tobasco sauce and a little cocktail sauce and a slice of prosciutto off of an appetizer. I passed my slice of bread off to a coworker and sipped San Pellegrino all night.

Not sure if this is psychological, as this was the first meal out of my control for 8 days or I ate something hidden in the mix that I'm not supposed to? Do I have to start over? I feel pretty good today. Energy is still slowly coming back. I feel like starting over would absolutely crush my momentum! Help...

First-time whole30-er here. I'm on day 9 and last night attended a belated holiday dinner with my coworkers. I was really nervous going into the dinner because I'm not a big sweet snacker. Deserts and sugar don't really do it for me. Give me salts and breads and cheeses and alcohol any day. That's my achilles. Especially living in NYC and working in advertising (such a cliche, I know). My social life revolves around happy hours and dining out, or working late and conveniently ordering take out from the place down the block via an app on my phone.

Anyway, I've had a strong resolve over the past 9 days which is really weird for me. Usually I start a health kick and drop off after the first week. But I'm not as tired or foggy, my skin has cleared up and the aches and pains are diminished. I'm starting to feel real good. And I'm proud of myself. Haven't had a drink for 10 days and that's a big deal for me. I see myself sticking with this for the duration of the 30 and maybe even beyond.

But let me get back to dinner. This is getting long-winded. I looked over the menu carefully and even told the server I had a dairy aversion. He had me identify 2-3 menu options and he'd inquire with the chef on how they were prepared. I settled on roasted chicken, subbed more veggies for the mashed potatoes. Server assured me everything was dairy-free aside from the mashed potatoes. The chicken and green beans were amazing (I'm pretty sure they were just steamed, nothing added that I could taste), but soon after eating my stomach started feeling weird and I got a dull headache. Other than the entree, I had a 3-4 raw oysters with tobasco sauce and a little cocktail sauce and a slice of prosciutto off of an appetizer. I passed my slice of bread off to a coworker and sipped San Pellegrino all night.

Not sure if this is psychological, as this was the first meal out of my control for 8 days or I ate something hidden in the mix that I'm not supposed to? Do I have to start over? I feel pretty good today. Energy is still slowly coming back. I feel like starting over would absolutely crush my momentum! Help...

Oh had you only said no to the cocktail sauce. The prosciutto may have had sugar in it or may not have. The cocktail sauce surely did. However, I think you put a lot of energy into doing this right. Inadvertent sugar is not a reason to re-start, IMO. I am not sure about what else was in the cocktail sauce so that is the big question mark. I say frame this experience, learn from it and power forward. If you don't get the results you were looking for, consider adding some days at the end of your W30. Again, this is IMO.

I think you're okay. Tabasco's generally fine, and you took enough steps to get yourself something compliant. Even if you feel off, unless you KNOW there were nasties in what you ate, I'd just carry on.

The cocktail sauce probably had sugar in it, but with the amount that you had, it's very unlikely to be limiting. If you don't see full benefits at the end of your 30, this is probably why, though...so just tack some on at the end in that case.

Archived