Balsamic vinegar

Cindy

So I just want to verify because I am still a little confused... With Balsamic Vinegar, it is allowed if it says "naturally occurring sulfites" within the ingredients but is not allowed if it says "contains: sulfites" before the ingredients. Is this correct??

Some brands say contains sulphites as the country requires it to be listed... You have to figure out if the sulphites have been added as a chemical,preservative. After looking at as many bottles of vinegar as I could find here in aus, I could see the difference in labeling.. Real vinegar, no added ingredients, but contains sulphites or contains naturally occurring sulphites. Modified vinegas usually had other ingredients as well as sulphites (preservative)

Sorry to beat a dead horse but the comments aren't entirely clear to me.

My Costco has balsamic vinegar and the ingredients read as follows:

74651_323960974371088_100290789_n.jpg

It says "CONTAINS: Sulfites" but it's in the INGREDIENTS list. (Or it's after the ingredients list.)

Anyway, I'm afraid to buy it. Is this compliant?

Terez, imo, the way it's worded tells me they are speaking of the naturally occurring sulphites. I wish they worded it that way to make it completely clear. I buy Napa Naturals organic balsamic. It says on the label "naturally occurring sulphites and no caramel coloring".

I think so! But it sounds a bit faux also , like rwv with added must.

It's got to be the other way, Derval, Grape Must with red wine vinegar added (because, by law, the ingredients with the greatest amounts are listed first in the ingredients list). But, yah, this is not the world's purest balsamic vinegar!

Susan, after someone else posted somewhere on the forum saying that "contains sulfites" was OK, I went back and re-checked this label. The fact that the statement is right with the ingredients gave me pause.

So, you both feel it's compliant. That's good news!

Terez, I would feel a little better if it said "naturally occurring", but I am 90% sure it's okay because the sulphites are listed after the period at the end of ingredients. I think we'd have to speak to a label expert to know for sure if my method is correct. How's that for confidence. ;0)

Okay, I just googled my question and I did not come up with a solid answer. It looked to me like some say the govt allows a label to say "contains sulfites" after the ingredients list even if added because only a small handful are allergic to them. That answer is lame. Who knows if it's true. I don't think I have the confidence in saying I know for sure it's okay. Darn labels.

Thanks for taking that extra step, Susan. I'll hold off.

Terez

Not so sure how helpful I was since I changed my opinion 2 or 3 times. :) It really is pretty easy and not super expensive to find organic. That seems to be the easiest way to avoid nasties in balsamic vinegar.

Robin's saying the Costco bottle is good? Yay!!!

Susan, I looked at some of the organic ones in the health food store and right now I can't remember what I didn't like about them. Maybe they didn't say "grape must" or maybe it had the regular vinegar as the first ingredient. I can't recall but I did give them a look and was going to hit a gourmet store next.

But not now. I'll be heading back to good ol' Costco. dance-smiley.gif

Terez

• 1 month later...

Mine says: contains wine vinegar, concentrated grape musk, caramel E (coloring I guess) and antioxidant: (sulfites)

Please please please tell me I do my have to start this WHOLE process over because of balsamic I used ONCE. I am on day 20...

Mine says: contains wine vinegar, concentrated grape musk, caramel E (coloring I guess) and antioxidant: (sulfites)

Please please please tell me I do my have to start this WHOLE process over because of balsamic I used ONCE. I am on day 20...

Jenna - you don't have to start over, but you do need to ditch that vin for the next 10 days. One exposure likely won't cause too much trouble, but best to avoid it. It's that sneaky "antioxidant: (sulfites).

Thank you Robin! That being said I do plan to do this whole process again and improve upon it. I really have enjoyed it! Didn't mean go sound cranky in my post :) it's hard as a performer but so necessary and beneficial! Thank again all got the support.

Archived