Spaghetti sauce needs some oomph!

afalast

I always put red wine in my spaghetti sauce. ALWAYS. It adds so much flavor.

That being said, I obviously won't put any into my sauce tonight. (Making Everyday Paleo's Spaghetti Squash and Meatballs).

Can you tell me something I could add that would keep my sauce from being too plain or "tomatoey"? I started it this morning to give the flavors of the herbs time to develop and added some whole30 approved chicken broth, but it tastes plain. And yes, there is garlic, onion, salt/pepper, oregano, basil etc.

Thanks!

I put green peppers, mushrooms and red pepper flakes I'm mine. You may have already done this, but sautéing the onion and garlic before you put it in the sauce brings out a lot more flavor. I'm assuming you also already added the ground beef or turkey? I put all that plus the seasonings you mentioned and let simmer on low for hours, tastes awesome! Wolfgang pucks jarred pasta sauce is approved and flavorful so I use that plus one can diced tomato.

I throw a whole, unpeeled onion into the sauce while it's cooking. My sauce is very basic: whole or crushed tomatoes, tomato puree, fresh basil, and a whole onion. Before I add these ingredients together, I brown a little minced garlic in olive oil in the bottom of the pot. I used to add a little sugar but those days are over. Cook it on a low for 4-8 hours, depending on how well you like the tomatoes cooked. The onion reduces the acid in the tomatoes and sweetens them. The basil adds a nice flavor. You can then add meat or leave it as a marinara style. Bon appetite!

Haha! I think I'd be willing to have them in there, just not willing to actually deal with them myself.... But I will definitely spice it up! It turned out a lot better once I cooked the meatballs in the sauce...

I throw a whole, unpeeled onion into the sauce while it's cooking. My sauce is very basic: whole or crushed tomatoes, tomato puree, fresh basil, and a whole onion. Before I add these ingredients together, I brown a little minced garlic in olive oil in the bottom of the pot. I used to add a little sugar but those days are over. Cook it on a low for 4-8 hours, depending on how well you like the tomatoes cooked. The onion reduces the acid in the tomatoes and sweetens them. The basil adds a nice flavor. You can then add meat or leave it as a marinara style. Bon appetite!

I'm curious about this suggestion. Do you fish the onion out of the sauce at the end of the eight hours? Does it hold together? It's summer here at the moment and I'm looking for things to do with a pleniful tomato harvest. And a way to reduce the acidity of fresh tomato sauce would rock.

Just another question....

THe dinner turned out amazing!!! I didn't miss the pasta since I really couldn't taste the squash. I had 3 golf-ball sized meatballs, plus a large helping of the squash and sauce. I'm assuming those count as my veggies for the meal? Right? I'm too full to add a spinach salad or something. Thoughts?

I LOVE San Marzano canned tomatoes for my tomato sauce. However, I am not entirely sure if they are Whole30 compliant. I haven't bothered making tomato sauce while on my Whole30, because my recipe has a touch of sugar in it to cut the acidity a little bit. I put 3/4 cup olive oil in a sauce pan with 3 large garlic cloves, 4 large basil leaves, and 1/2 tbsp red pepper flakes (I like my tomato sauce spicy). The flavors infuse into the olive oil for about 20 minutes while the tomatoes are reducing in another pot. Strain the oil, add olive oil to the now reduced tomatoes, and emulsify with a hand blender. Once this mixture is combined, run through a fine mesh sieve if you desire. Suuuper simple and tasty! The garlic and basil are very pronounced.

I LOVE San Marzano canned tomatoes for my tomato sauce. However, I am not entirely sure if they are Whole30 compliant. I haven't bothered making tomato sauce while on my Whole30, because my recipe has a touch of sugar in it to cut the acidity a little bit. I put 3/4 cup olive oil in a sauce pan with 3 large garlic cloves, 4 large basil leaves, and 1/2 tbsp red pepper flakes (I like my tomato sauce spicy). The flavors infuse into the olive oil for about 20 minutes while the tomatoes are reducing in another pot. Strain the oil, add olive oil to the now reduced tomatoes, and emulsify with a hand blender. Once this mixture is combined, run through a fine mesh sieve if you desire. Suuuper simple and tasty! The garlic and basil are very pronounced.

Trader Joe's has a compliant San Marzano canned tomato here in the Twin Cities.

Just another question....

THe dinner turned out amazing!!! I didn't miss the pasta since I really couldn't taste the squash. I had 3 golf-ball sized meatballs, plus a large helping of the squash and sauce. I'm assuming those count as my veggies for the meal? Right? I'm too full to add a spinach salad or something. Thoughts?

Yep, that counts!

Finally!!!!! Someone who knows how to make a good gravy!!!! Everything else everyone mentioned above is pure HERESY! Lol

I bought a few jars of Rao's marinara and was so in love with it, I was determined to make it myself. It is about $9 per jar. I read the ingredients and went to work. It has a very pronounced olive oil flavor. I do it EXACTLY the way you do it. I could drink the stuff. I also add a bunch of uncooked olive oil at the end. :)

In answer to you original question about wine in the sauce: have you thought of using "Free" ? It is an alcohol free wine.

It comes in Chardonnay, Merlot, Red Blend, white Zinfandel, Moscato, and Brut. It is made in Napa Valley, California. The Merlot is great in a tomato based sauce.

Here is the web site:

http://www.frewines.com

I use it a lot in my cooking. Also great for drinking. the web site shows a lot of recipes for "mock"tails.

In answer to you original question about wine in the sauce: have you thought of using "Free" ? It is an alcohol free wine.

It comes in Chardonnay, Merlot, Red Blend, white Zinfandel, Moscato, and Brut. It is made in Napa Valley, California. The Merlot is great in a tomato based sauce.

Here is the web site:

http://www.frewines.com

I use it a lot in my cooking. Also great for drinking. the web site shows a lot of recipes for "mock"tails.

Nancey, have you checked the ingredients? I went to the website but could not see much exact info.

Archived