Improved Parkinson's Symptoms

Healed10

I was diagnosed with Young Onset Parkinson's Disease YOPD in 2019. Dr put me on carodopa/levodopa, which alleviated my symptoms. Up until last week I was taking meds 2-3x/day, as needed. 

Sept 2 I began Whole30 after reading that leaky gut can lead to auto-immune conditions. Could healing leaky gut and the microbiome improve or fully reverse PD? The research I found was encouraging enough for me to try: https://www.hindawi.com/journals/pd/2019/7535472/

I opted to stay mostly vegan except eggs and chicken bone broth (from my local butcher shop, not off a grocery shelf). I also added in collagen powder and typical gut restoration powder without additives, turmeric, Omega 3, daily apple cider vinegar, and probiotics.

First five days were detoxing, then the mental clarity set in. I awoke alert for the first time in years. My body moved with more fluidity. I stopped my PD meds, which is fully approved by my Dr. The next two days I awoke to literally feel the neuropathy in my right hand and right foot melting away. What a happy moment...I welled up in tears. Fine motor movement was returning after 5 years!

Today, Day 10, my arm swings naturally when I walk (a typical symptom of PD when it does not). My debilitating fatigue is completely gone. Cognitive confusion and slowness is gone. My clunky PD gait is fluid now and has returned to normal.  I keep giving myself the PD clinical neurological tests and see no signs of slow movement on my right side.

It's stunning, and yet I always fully believed this was somehow possible - so I'm overjoyed to share that it truly is!  I am walking on sunshine and feel like I'm 35 again (I'm 50+ and felt like 80 a few days ago). No exaggeration. If it helps to note, I never cheated, not even by a single bite and I currently don't want to consume gluten, dairy, caffeine, sugar, or alcohol again. But I am still learning and still at the very beginning of this journey. I look forward to reading your stories of reintroduction.

A side benefit to Whole30 is discovering the joy of cooking and the good taste of food when you don't eat sugar!!  I dearly hope someone else/many others with PD will have the same experience. 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

How's it going now a few months on?  Are you sticking with the W30 concept of eating entirely or have you been able to make modifications without adverse effect? PD is a disease that runs on both sides of my family although I seem to be clear still at the age of 50.

• 1 month later...

Your success is absolutely inspiring! I was diagnosed with PD last spring at age 48. I have gained about 10 lbs. I have been working out 7 days a week since the first of the year and gained weight. I have been counting macros but feel horrible. I have still been eating whatever I want and sticking to my macros. I have done whole 30 in the past and felt amazing. I haven’t done it since taking carbidopa/levodopa. I struggle with fatigue, weakness  and pain. Reading your post reminds me that I can’t eat whatever I want and feel good. I need Whole Foods … sugar is poison and so is alcohol for my brain. I started eating Whole 30 complaint yesterday. This way of eating must be as important as taking my medication.   

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I also have PD, diagnosed 22 years ago .  I have a DBS placed 9 years ago and take Rytary and ropinirole 5 times a day. Started Whole 30 3 days ago and felt like crap all day today Had about 2 hours of functioning time today. Was about to leave the whole thing behind but reading these messages gives me pause. Is there a less radical way of weaning oneself without feeling so poorly? Managing Stress is a big part of my symptom management and this feels like a lot of stress!

• Moderators
12 hours ago, Sleister said:

I also have PD, diagnosed 22 years ago .  I have a DBS placed 9 years ago and take Rytary and ropinirole 5 times a day. Started Whole 30 3 days ago and felt like crap all day today Had about 2 hours of functioning time today. Was about to leave the whole thing behind but reading these messages gives me pause. Is there a less radical way of weaning oneself without feeling so poorly? Managing Stress is a big part of my symptom management and this feels like a lot of stress!

If this is a big change for you, you might find it helpful to ease your way into Whole30 rather than just jumping in completely. What this looks like is going to depend on  what you're currently doing and which parts of changing to Whole30 are most stressful for you, but it could look like:

- Eating breakfast every day, if you don't already

- Switching out rice or pasta in dishes for cauliflower rice, zoodles, spaghetti squash, or even baked potato

- increasing the amount of vegetables with meals, if you don't already fill half to 2/3 of your plate with veggies at meals 

- learning to meal prep for multiple days at a time, if you don't already

So basically, pick one thing to change, and do that until it becomes comfortable and less stressful, then add another change, until it's comfortable, repeat until you are eating Whole30 style. Or until you feel better, if that happens before you get to a full Whole30 and you decide you've found the sweet spot that balances your stress level with healthier eating, there's nothing wrong with that option either, if that's what works for you.

Another option, if it's in your budget, would be to find a Whole30 compatible food service so that you don't have to do all the meal prep and cooking. There are some listed on the Whole30 Approved page (https://whole30.com/whole30-approved/) -- filter by Restaurants and Meal Delivery. This would reduce the stress of cooking and meal planning.

Archived