Kombucha Recomendations??

MamaDrew

I greatly admire those who are able to grow their own kombucha, who are great cooks, and who can be SO creative in the kitchen. I am learning so much from this forum and have already gotten so far out of my cooking box... I cooked dinner for my mom - who's a chef by the way - on Saturday night and she said she couldn't have done it better herself. Woot!

My point as it relates to kombucha? I know that I am never going to make my own, so I am ever so grateful for GT's. I buy it by the case at Whole Foods. All it replaces for me is one of my many glasses of water throughout the day, so I don't feel that I'm leeching onto it for anything. I have only had the original and gingerade, but now I will definitely give the strawberry and hibiscus a try.

I agree, as much as I would like to grow my own...realistically it's probably not going to happen. So I am very happy to have found GT's, I love it! It is pricey though. I have now tried Gingerberry and it is good too. I have Trilogy in the fridge for tonight :)

I am impressed! Like Robin, my wallet is starting to shriek when I pull it out. My kombucha habit could easily rival some peoples' Starbucks habit. I also feel bad about all that glass waste.

I have 3 GTs in the fridge, so how did you do it? The other day I bought a kombucha "growler," but it just sits on the kitchen counter, looking empty and disappointed.

Oh man, I just tried this stuff and it's AMAZING! I got the GT hibiscus flavor with ginger, OMG it was so good.

I ordered a kit from Amazon that I'm going to try. You add boiling water and sugar. Will let y'all know how it comes out.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On my 3rd W30 and had heard of Kombucha many times before but never gave it much thought since I hadn't seen it on the shelves. 2 days ago I must have been looking in the right place because I stumbled upon it and thought "oh this I know is "approved" I should try it!"

I have couple questions though

1. Do most drink a bottle in one day or divide it up over 2-3 days?

2. And TMI coming....while my stomach feels less bloated with this new found drink, I noticed my stools are much looser...eww...sorry! Normal?

3. How much caffeine is in a bottle compared to a cup coffee?

I just tried it a few weeks ago. (I bought a bottle a couple years ago but the slime sketched me out and I never drank it.) I like the Gingerade as well. I love ginger beer. I also liked the Bilberry flavor though I've only seen it once.

One thing I will say is when I first tasted it in the early days of my W30 it tasted sour. Now it tastes really sweet to me, almost cloyingly so. I think I'd prefer it cut with sparkling water. And, for the record, I also prefer the driest of wines.

Did you get an answer on how to grow a scoby from GT's?

Brew a cup of black tea. Let cool to room temperature. Add 1 T sugar and stir to mix.

Pour it into a glass bowl.

Add a 16-oz bottle of any store-bought raw, organic kombucha (preferably original flavor).

Cover with a kitchen towel.

Set it in a warmish place on your kitchen counter, and forget about it... for about 2 weeks. Do not disturb.

Scoby should be apparent between 2-3 weeks.

BUT if you are like me and can't resist peeking, you will see: first, nothing but the strands and possibly a little, round, flat, culture, about 2" in diameter, from your store-bought kombucha. Then, white spots may start to appear on the surface, this is not mold. Eventually, a thin film will cover the surface of your bowl. You're almost there! The thin film will thicken and thicken, until you have a thick, leathery culture! This is your scoby. You may name him, if you wish ;D

Archived