Eczema be gone! Depression be gone!

elinve38

I'm starting my whole30 tomorrow.

I've always had a relatively healthy diet but over the pandemic my depression has worsened and I've been turning to food as a source of pleasure and comfort. For the first time in 20 years I've found myself eating candy (I'm literally eating licorice allsorts as I write this lol). I think this is largely due to an inability to feel pleasure due to my chronic depression. In any case, my relationship with food is out of whack and it's beginning to physically manifest through eczema flare-ups, pimples, sluggishness, poor quality sleep and about 10 extra lbs... I want to nip it in the bud before things spiral out of control. 

I will continue supplementing my diet with cod liver oil, vitamin D, and anti-depressants. I will be talking to my doctor about changing my meds, which will hopefully help.

Also... I'm somewhat active (I occasionally do yoga and I don't have a car so I bike everywhere) but I want to incorporate some "joyful movement" into my life. Pre-pandemic I was lifting weights at the gym 3-4 x week and I hope to return to that. First, though, I want to focus on the food - and drinking more water. 

In stark list form, here are my goals for the next 30 days:

• follow the protocol
  • aim to drink 2L water per day
  • add in some kind of "joyful" movement every day (anti-depressant not calorie burn)
  • be consistent about taking my meds, probiotics and vitamins

DAY 1

• coffee; 2-egg omelette w/ sauerkraut + salsa; leek soup
  • salad (kale, carrots, radish, olives, pickles, evoo + acv) w/ sardines; apple slices + tahini 
  • chicken-vegetable soup; baby carrots + pesto; apple slices

I made the pesto out of radish greens, almonds and olive oil :)

DAY 5

• coffee; roasted vegetables w/ pesto; turkey sausage
  • small handful of almonds
  • red cabbage-carrot slaw w/ tahini-lemon dressing, radishes + pickles; salmon; apple
  • chicken-vegetable soup; 1/2 avocado; 2-egg omelette w/ sauerkraut

Wow! Day 5 already! Feeling good. I'm actually surprised I haven't had any side effects yet given how much candy I was eating every day. I've been having licorice root tea to satisfy my need for something sweet in the evening.

I've become a member of the "sausage club" at my local deli lol

DAY 6

• coffee; chicken-vegetable soup; roasted vegetables w/ tahini-lemon dressing; turkey sausage
  • almonds; coffee
  • chicken-vegetable soup w/ sauerkraut + flax seeds; baked yam; 1/2 avocado w/ lime juice
  • kombucha
  • salad (red leaf lettuce, carrot, pickle, olives, tahini-lemon dressing) w/ sardines; apple slices

Today I had my first slip-up. I stopped at a bakery and ordered a small coffee to drink on the terrace - something I've missed doing and haven't really done since the pandemic. So it was a little treat. And without even thinking about it, I reached for the creamer and poured a tiny bit of milk in my coffee... oops! I wasn't about to waste a $3 coffee, so I just drank it. I'm not a perfectionist so I'm just going to keep going and not let this slow down my momentum. Don't let perfect be the enemy of good, as they say :wacko:

DAY 7

• coffee; chicken-vegetable soup; 2-egg omelette w/ sauerkraut
  • roasted vegetables w/ tahini-lemon dressing; bison jerky; last of the chicken-vegetable soup (yay!)
  • coffee; apple; small handful of almonds
  • banana; herb-lemon potato wedges; tin of smoked mussels

A weird day of eating. I ended up staying at work 4 hours later than I'd anticipated, necessitating an emergency grocery store dinner. 

DAY 8

• coffee; 3-egg omelette w/ roasted vegetables + sauerkraut; 1/2 avocado
  • salad (lettuce, carrot, red cabbage, pickles, tahini-lemon dressing + nutritional yeast); pastrami; baked yam
  • garlic-sautéed gai lan; salmon w/ mustard; handful of black olives; apple; small handful of almonds

I'd forgotten how much I love a big plate of garlic-sautéed greens! 

First week done and one of the main things I've noticed is how much water weight I've lost. I feel lighter. I have more energy and, as a result, want to move more. I haven't had any negative side effects yet, which is surprising but I'll take it! The eczema has improved a little bit, but nothing dramatic. We'll see if there's any improvement over the rest of the program (fingers crossed).

On a side note, another thing I'm noticing is I've spent a lot less on groceries this week - root vegetables are way cheaper than junk food! 

DAY 11

• coffee; 2-egg omelette w/ sauerkraut; black olives; tomato-cabbage soup
  • roast vegetables*; tuna + olive oil; sugar snap peas
  • 2 mandarin oranges
  • tomato-cabbage soup; 2 tandoori chicken thighs; grapes; small handful of almonds

*butternut squash, green beans, red pepper, red onion, broccoli

DAY 13

• coffee; carrot soup; roasted butternut squash; 1 italian sausage; sugar snap peas
  • apple; small handful of almonds
  • zucchini noodles w/ compliant tomato sauce, black olives + tuna; tomato-cabbage soup
  • 2-egg omelette w/ sauerkraut; grapes; trail mix

DAY 14

• coffee; 2-egg omelette w/ zucchini + mushrooms; 1/2 avocado
  • apple; small handful of almonds
  • zucchini noodles w/ tomato sauce + black olives; 2 chicken thighs
  • tomato-cabbage soup w/ tuna; trail mix*; grapes

*sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, cashews, raisins 

DAY 15

• coffee; carrot soup; 2 scrambled eggs; 1/2 avocado
  • boiled potatoes + green beans w/ tahini; 2 chicken thighs
  • handful of trail mix
  • stir fried bok choy, mushrooms + beef; olives; grapes

Is it my imagination or is there a slight improvement with my eczema? 

Archived