Is anyone interested in a Nov 1 start date?

peacefullyfierce

Any moderators around? 
Its day 4 and the sugar dragon is roaring on all cylinders. (Does a dragon even have cylinders??). The dried fruit jar and emergency naked bars are calling my name but I know will just feed the sugar and snack habit so I’m avoiding.  Had a massive breakfast and will make sure I stick to the template, but just wondering if starchy carbs are helpful or hindering here? Im inclined to avoid them and tough it out ( baked pot is still sugar down the line, right?) but any wisdom on this please? Thanks 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not a moderator or expert but I do find that starchy vegetables do help a little with cravings.  I love Japanese sweet potatoes the best as they're dense and not too sweet.  You're so right to avoid the dried fruit et al.  Such a slippery slope.  I also find that making sure I am fully hydrated really helps.  My go to is that I always have a batch of oven roasted veggies in the fridge that I can heat up or add to meals/salads.

I’m not a moderator, however I have done multiple w30+ so here’s my take on it: The plan is partly food and partly behaviour. We focus on the food primarily, but the behaviour still counts, and in many ways I find it harder to break. So your food is fine if it’s compliant AND if your behaviour is compliant too. So that’s why NKD bars, boxes of dates, smoothies, baked goods,  store bought ready salted nuts and crisps… they are technically compliant ingredients, but they encourage us to linger in those non-compliant behaviours that we also need to change. So they’re out, most of the time (and some completely in the 30 days) 

however, the beauty of this plan is the variety, the choice, the real food- and I say if you would like delicious comforting starchy carbs on a cold autumn day, with your meals, as part of a varied plan then that’s completely allowed. Baked sweet potato wedges and spicy marinated pork chops? Yes please!! 

that’s why it’s so important to me to plan my meals, because I like to factor in these foods, but I like them to be planned and varied, not ‘binges’. I don’t buy nuts or nut butter for exactly that reason. Or bananas. It can be really enlightening to see why we feel these urges for these foods and when, and it’s an important part of the 30 day journey I think. I agree to keep hydrated, and also to make sure you get enough fat in the early part of the day. 

it’s definitely day 4 today. I pretty much cried all day at work. I’m not even upset or stressed. I just wah-wah’d all day!!! Went for a run and felt as heavy as lead. This is a tough few days ahead but we’ve got this!! 

• Moderators
7 hours ago, britgirl said:

Any moderators around? 
Its day 4 and the sugar dragon is roaring on all cylinders. (Does a dragon even have cylinders??). The dried fruit jar and emergency naked bars are calling my name but I know will just feed the sugar and snack habit so I’m avoiding.  Had a massive breakfast and will make sure I stick to the template, but just wondering if starchy carbs are helpful or hindering here? Im inclined to avoid them and tough it out ( baked pot is still sugar down the line, right?) but any wisdom on this please? Thanks 

Don't skimp the starchy carbs - in general when we skimp on something our bodies need, that need comes out in other ways. Complex carbohydrates contain glucose molecules which provides energy and helps your brain function properly. When you skimp and your body needs those glucose molecules, it asks for them in easier and more direct ways. 

An abundance of things we eat turn to glucose (sugar) down the line - that's not the same as eating 'sugar' and shouldn't be considered as such.  It's great that you're noticing that this is triggering your sugar dragon (which may not be the behavior dragon at all but just the 'damn, I need some glucose' dragon) and eating the nuts and seeds and dried fruit isn't going to be the long term answer here. I prescribe a big baked potato with dinner!

Doing okay and no big cravings but definitely got into nuts for last two days.  Not going to beat self up though because most important facet of this for me is not feeling like there's good and bad if that makes sense.  If I am super hungry I will eat.  Just made my favorite soup -- super easy - sauté a large sweet onion, add a bunch of sliced carrots and celery and let sweat until onion is translucent.  Add 4 cups of shredded chicken and compliant chicken stock to your desire.  I like more of a stew so probably use four cups.  Once veggies are soft, add in a quarter cup of lime juice and a handful or two of cilantro (or coriander as us Brits call it!).  Add salt and pepper to taste and top with sliced avocado and radishes......  Perfect for this time of year.....

@hmg1993 soup sounds lovely. I miss a really good soup, stock is one thing that I’ve just not managed to find as a compliant product here in the uk. When I try to make my own it is a lot of work and mess for some slightly meaty flavoured water! The closest I have got is using either dried porcini mushrooms liquor or marmite, but they aren’t perfect. 

it’s Saturday today! What a horrible week I have had, not food wise but work has been hard and I have felt very tearful and emotional due to detox which has left me feeling a bit ‘broken’. I feel like I have cried constantly for 2 days. I feel a bit stronger today. 

i’n going to bootcamp at 8am then will go and do my food shopping to stock up for the week ahead. I trawled a w30 recipe page last night for some inspiration but nothing really sang to me, however this week I will make some classics, such as chimichurri chicken, a lamb stew with veg and some scotch eggs. 

How has everyone’s weekend gone? 
mines been ok, my food has been all compliant but I would say I’ve probably had more than I needed really. More fruit, more roast potatoes. But hey. It’s all good nutritious food. 

my week ahead looks busy and challenging. A busy week at work, a job interview, and various other things. I have prepped some scotch eggs and other bits for breakfast/lunch to help me through the week. I’m feeling good though at the end of day 7, looking forward to feeling really great by next weekend. 

All good so far. Hope all's well with everyone.

Happy to be seven days in.  Prepping food for next week - Ina Garten's roast chicken, Greek Chicken Skillet and Chicken Biryani.  Hopefully husband won't notice constant chicken but not much imagination or energy right now to do something else!  Making cod fajita bowls now which I just wing with roasted veggies and like.....  Don't really crave sweets but challenged with snacking! 

That soup DOES sound good! 4 cups of chicken sound a lot- would a whole roast chicken be about right? 
I roasted an organic chicken this weekend ( eyewateringly expensive but so worth the cost for texture and flavour AND currently on a deal at Waitrose). And then stuffed the carcasse in the slow cooker with very roughly chopped onion, carrot, celery, 10 peppercorns s&p and a bay leaf and left to do its stuff overnight. It’s a faff unless you have a slow cooker or pressure cooker but easy if you do and it felt really virtuous making organic stock and it’s really nice to drink as it is. Was nt sure what to do with it ( wd usually make rizotto) so I’ll try your soup @hmg1993

Seems to be only Brits left standing. ( ha! I thought cilantro was parsley. Coriander makes so much more sense!) Anyone else out there still going??

Im less ghastly weary now, hope you guys are too. We’re a week down!! Think my joints are noticibly less stiff and I love feeling good about what I eat, knowing I’m doing myself good, eating for the future and not eating for the moment and regretting the stupidity of that. Why is that so easy now ( ?no decisions??) and so very hard once the 30 days are done? 

Have a good week all

2 hours ago, Rebecca001 said:

How has everyone’s weekend gone? 
mines been ok, my food has been all compliant but I would say I’ve probably had more than I needed really. More fruit, more roast potatoes. But hey. It’s all good nutritious food. 

my week ahead looks busy and challenging. A busy week at work, a job interview, and various other things. I have prepped some scotch eggs and other bits for breakfast/lunch to help me through the week. I’m feeling good though at the end of day 7, looking forward to feeling really great by next weekend. 

Good luck with the job interview! 

Made it to Day 9 and starting to feel better although sleep isn't great (in fairness, never is but I do hope for improvement when doing W30!).  Cravings are OK although still feel urge to snack, which is definitely habit versus need and today when the urge bites I will have a drink instead.   Trying the chicken biryani recipe in the W30 instagram feed for dinner.  Sounds delish.  Made the mistake of pre-making my cauliflower rice and now entire fridge has lovely sulphur odor.  Does anyone have a hack for this?!

2 hours ago, hmg1993 said:

Made it to Day 9 and starting to feel better although sleep isn't great (in fairness, never is but I do hope for improvement when doing W30!).  Cravings are OK although still feel urge to snack, which is definitely habit versus need and today when the urge bites I will have a drink instead.   Trying the chicken biryani recipe in the W30 instagram feed for dinner.  Sounds delish.  Made the mistake of pre-making my cauliflower rice and now entire fridge has lovely sulphur odor.  Does anyone have a hack for this?!

Mines in a clicky lid pot and it fine- until you I click it. It’s just niffy. I’m hungry today! Had vast breakfast and made sure plenty of fat cos working so late lunch, and late large and fat inclusive lunch and I’m REALLY hungry again now. Ended lunch with an apple and wonder if that’s set off the sugar cycle. Carbs often make me hungry but not usually this bad. Will go and hydrate and eat a hard boiled egg if I’m desperate. Having one of your recipes from here- balsamic chicken bowls for tea. 

We’re approaching days 10 and 11 which according to the time line are the most likely to pack it in. Forewarned is forearmed! Unfortunately ( tho hard to feel sad) we’ve booked up a seriously posh lunch on Thursday which we were given as a gift pre COVID and the restaurant has extended till end of Nov. So has to be done. So this might well be an “incomplete 30” ( will plough on and take the consequences rather than reset) But I’m going to do my level best but also throughly enjoy it, and ( critically) stay 100% either side. So please please hound me on Thursday eve! 

You've got this @britgirl!  I often find that restaurants, particularly posh ones, can be super accommodating if you give them a little advance notice.  I used to feel embarrassed about making special requests but not anymore.  We're the guests.  There must be something about day 9 as I too am beyond hungry today.  Really happy that I prepped food as otherwise I would have my beak into all sorts of non compliant things.  But pressing on regardless.  Looking forward to day 30!

I was really ravenous a few days ago but it’s subsided now. I have eaten really simple food the last few days, made some scotch eggs which were unfortunately a bit dry, and had the leftovers from roast dinner on Sunday for a few meals. Tonight I had a lamb steak and a huge salad, and finally got around to making my mayo. I ran 5km this morning at 6am before my job interview (went well thank you @britgirl

I have a thumping headache, and feel really dehydrated although I have drunk enough. Maybe need a bit extra? 
my food tomorrow will be tinned mackerel and salad, an almond milk/berry/coconut cream smoothie, and something ‘chicken-y’ for dinner (was going to be chimmichurri but I forgot to buy parsley). I really enjoyed my run this morning and might try to squeeze one in tomorrow morning, or if not it will be after work. It was my first one in a long time where my legs haven’t felt like lead. 

day 10/11 are notoriously horrible- good to be forewarned! Good luck everyone, we will smash it! 

Wd thoroughly recommend the balsamic bowls ( link on page one of thread ). Need onion apple and red cabbage. Oh and sprouts. Was expecting rude comments about those but the cabbage dyed everything pink so they snook in! Husbands not keen on vinagar so I used just 2 tablespoons of balsamic and the zest and juice of a lime, and added some walnuts and a drizzle of walnut all. Really fresh tasting and delicious. 
Glad interview went well. You’re running is impressive! 

https://www.wholesomelicious.com/rosemary-balsamic-sheet-pan-chicken-bacon-apples/
went for this in the end which sounds similar actually to your suggestion. 

I didn’t get out for a run today. I do try to take a full day off a week and so came home and cleaned instead! foods been good today, headache has subsided thankfully. I have a really busy few weeks ahead at work and I did not need to be feeling under the weather. 

tomorrow: run either before or after work depending on time. 
I didn’t have my smoothie today so I’ll have that tomorrow, I don’t like to rely on them but they are a nice change from eggs; lunch, probably fish and salad, and dinner will be pork steaks I think. Need to check the freezer! 

Considering  it’s day 10 it’s not been too horrific; my skin has erupted with teenage spots though! I feel quite energised and clear headed which is great. 

Oh dear, totally stuffed today.
But learned some stuff. 
Posh meal all good fresh ingredients and TINY portions,  so probably not complient but not much of it! And thoroughly enjoyed. 
Then went to visit mum in care home and had tea with milk. So decided I might as well eat the biscuits too. How stupid is that?! And even worse have carried on in similar vein at home. 
So now sipping peppermint tea and reflecting on the mindset that’s all or nothing, following rules 100% or falling face first into food I know will make me feel tired and grotty. And trying to understand why I respect my health so little. 
And hoping I can remember this level of stomach discomfort! Useful to see. 
Sigh. 
Drawing a line under today and can fit in 20 days before reintroduction still,  so will press on, with the clear reminder that non-compliance doesn’t bring joy, milk is over-rated ( I’d missed it so much!) and the joy of no-regret eating SO beats the discomfort of “treat” eating. And try and work out how to get my head toward a better place to ride my own bike when the plan is complete. 
How are you guys doing? 

I’m doing ok. My appetite has actually dropped away to the extent that I only really ate 2 meals yesterday and they were both chicken and salad. I need to make myself eat more vegetables though. Next week I am really going to focus on maxing out my veg intake. 

@britgirl you didn’t stuff up, you made a mistake, and you’re human. Are you going to restart, or are you going to continue? There’s various articles about whether you should or shouldn’t. It’s not yesterday that’s the issue really, it’s what you do today - and that’s all about mindset. What have you got planned for today? 

I have another interview today, this time in my own school, up against a friend/colleague. I feel pretty anxious about it, full of self-doubt. I am well prepared but not sure if that’s enough. My husband is already talking about his nice bottle of chianti for tonight and I think I will find it tricky tbh. However, I know the good bit is just round the corner now, day 12…. Can feel the very quiet rumbling of the tiger blood. Yesterday worked later than normal, came home, ran 6 miles, and then did housework including reorganising my kitchen drawer…. Something starting to stir in there I think! 

have a great day everyone, and IT’s FRIIIIIIIIIDAY! 

20 hours ago, hmg1993 said:

Still plodding on but super hungry and definitely eating enough!  @britgirlyou didn't stuff up.  you're living your life.  You have more information now about what feels good and onward!  Now back to the nuts!  So looking forward to having a sweetgreen salad tonight!

Thanks @hmg1993 I’m back! Did huge food shop this am so awash with lovely veg and good meat and just cooking salmon to do on wilted spinach with roasted root veg. Don’t want to get too Gwyneth Paltrow but I really enjoy the clean mouth feel I get on the w30. Family had chocolate muffins at lunch time and not even tempted a bit. 

I wonder why so hungry? Eating enough protein?? 

I totally understand the ‘clean mouth’ thing, I get that too. First time I did w30 I couldn’t believe that I felt so fresh, I had never experienced it before! 

good day for me, I got the job!! My food’s been really good. Just had a nice steak, homemade chips and salad. And Some chunks of frozen mango. No wine, despite celebrating; I didn’t want any and didn’t want to break my w30. 

I’ve written my shopping list, I’ll need to batch cook and plan ahead this week as i Have a busy week ahead. 2 classes tomorrow morning, a new legs hiit class and then yoga. Busy busy! 

On 11/12/2021 at 6:37 AM, Rebecca001 said:

I’m doing ok. My appetite has actually dropped away to the extent that I only really ate 2 meals yesterday and they were both chicken and salad. I need to make myself eat more vegetables though. Next week I am really going to focus on maxing out my veg intake. 

@britgirl you didn’t stuff up, you made a mistake, and you’re human. Are you going to restart, or are you going to continue? There’s various articles about whether you should or shouldn’t. It’s not yesterday that’s the issue really, it’s what you do today - and that’s all about mindset. What have you got planned for today? 

I have another interview today, this time in my own school, up against a friend/colleague. I feel pretty anxious about it, full of self-doubt. I am well prepared but not sure if that’s enough. My husband is already talking about his nice bottle of chianti for tonight and I think I will find it tricky tbh. However, I know the good bit is just round the corner now, day 12…. Can feel the very quiet rumbling of the tiger blood. Yesterday worked later than normal, came home, ran 6 miles, and then did housework including reorganising my kitchen drawer…. Something starting to stir in there I think! 

have a great day everyone, and IT’s FRIIIIIIIIIDAY! 

Definitely sounds like a bit of tiger blood there! I’m also feeling better- waking up before the alarm and feeling perky. Then desperate to be back in bed by 9! ( I’m a total night owl so this is not my norm). How was the interview? Did you  to get to breakout the chianti for yourDH? Sounds very stressful to be internal. 

I think I find weekends harder in some ways- sat night would be Strictly or a film and pizza traditionally, so thinking about crudités and a compliant dip? But maybe that’s still reenforcing the snacking habit??  but maybe just redeeming it and getting a plateful of raw veg down the family has to be a good thing! 
Thanks for the encouragement. I’m pressing on. Looking back I’ve never done a really truly 100% w30 I don’t think- ingredients can slip you up ( eg the dross in supermarket cooked chicken!) but as you so rightly say, it’s about not letting you take you down. 

I have to make a large batch of chocolate brownie today for church ( I offered ages ago), Smells divine as it’s cooking so I shall eat well before I bake,  enjoy the smell and remember not to lick my fingers as I cut it up, with a chaperone! 
Have a good weekend all 

Have a good weekend indeed and congrats on the job @Rebecca001!  I'm waiting for tiger blood and sleep and to be able to manage a day without putting my hand in the nut jar.  I'm not hungry, it's habit so the goal for day 13 onwards is to kick that to the curb.  Meanwhile planning some great meals for the week like the pork chop one on the W30 recipe instagram feed, chicken marbella and shrimp/prawn curry.  May also make a frittata as that is a good go to if hungry.  

Archived