Whole 30 with Type 2 Diabetes

I am a little concerned. I was hoping someone could look at my food log for the last week and tell me if I am doing something wrong. I have been an insulin dependent diabetic for over 10 years. I've been eating mostly paleo/primal for the last two, almost three years but never fully committed until now. I have a wicked case of insulin resistance that my new endo's solution to is weight loss surgery. I am unwilling to do that until I can say that I have done all that I can first. So here I am. I am doing Whole30 and 21 DSD at the same time, so my fruit intake is more limited and I am not consuming sweet potatoes.

By day 6 my normal fasting blood sugar (which for the last 10 years is consistently over 200) was down below 100. It stayed below 100 until yesterday (106) and then this morning it was 123. So, I am trying to figure out if it is what I am eating. The only other thing that changed is that in the beginning I was taking L-Glutamine and I stopped that on day 8. I've already cut all fast acting insulin (Humalog) and cut my long lasting insulin (Lantus) dose in half. If there is something more or different that I can do, I want to do it. Thanks in advance!

Jan 3rd - Breakfast – Pork roast, ¼ carrot, green apple; Lunch – Tuna Fish in olive oil with mustard, olives and pickles, Asparagus; Dinner – Ground Beef spaghetti sauce (ground beef, onions, garlic, celery seed, Italian seasoning, organic tomatoes and tomato sauce) over zucchini noodles.

Jan 4th - Breakfast – Eggplant rounds with eggs inside. ½ green tipped banana; Lunch – Grilled Portabella mushroom, topped with ground beef (seasoned with onions, garlic, Mexican spices), then homemade guacamole; Dinner – Boiled crab legs with mushrooms and carrots, guacamole and olives

Jan 5th - Breakfast – Leftovers: steak with onions and mushrooms and ground beef with guacamole; .Lunch – Ate breakfast late and was not hungry for lunch. Had a few nuts and lots of water;.Dinner – Boiled crawfish with carrots and mushrooms

Jan 6th - Breakfast – None. Got on the road after little sleep and did not want to stop because I knew there were no good choices (5.5 hour drive back to Arkansas). Drank lots of water; Lunch – Was nauseated due to drop in blood sugar (this is the only incidence of low blood sugar since I started), but I forced myself to eat. Had three eggs with salsa and avocado; Dinner – My version of Pork Lo Mein (pork with chinese spices, veggies over spaghetti squash), stewed green apple with a little cinnamon.

Jan 7th - Breakfast – 3 eggs seasoned with Turmeric, sea salt and pepper with ½ avocado; Lunch – Chili; Dinner – Pork chop seasoned with lime juice and cilantro and spinach, stewed apple with pecans

Jan 8th - Breakfast – Chili; Lunch – Chili with avocado; Dinner – Pork chop seasoned with lime juice and cilantro and spinach, a few pickled veggies, green tipped banana with 1 tbsp almond butter

Jan 9th - Breakfast – Chicken sausage, spinach and a fried egg; Lunch – Chili (finally done with it!);

Dinner – Filet, sautéed onions and mushrooms, roasted carrots, mashed celery root with ghee and parsley

Jan 10th - Breakfast – Chicken sausage, olives (had to force myself to eat this); Lunch – Filet, little onions and mushrooms, green beans and mashed celery root; Dinner – Baba ghanoush dipped with cucumber slices, salad (lettuce, cucumber, tomato, parsley, olive oil, vinegar & lemon), gyro meat

• Moderators

Your meals look pretty good. I would like to see more beef or lamb and less pork in your meat selections. You seem to get a good amount of fat. Veggies look fine at some meals, but light at others. I would like to see more green veggies.

I don't think you can do justice to the Whole30 and a 21 day sugar detox program at the same time. Each one is carefully crafted and they are not meant to go with other programs. I guess you have cut out sweet potato or starchy carbs based upon the sugar detox, but I would like to see you eating some sweet potato occasionally. Most people feel and perform better with some carbs in their diet. You can still lose weight while eating carbs.

Thanks for your response, Tom. The pork thing was an unusual event...I pre-cooked a whole loin and then had to use it over the week. I am getting better at planning so that I don't cook THAT much at one time when it is just my husband and I (and then he ended up only eating one serving.)

I didn't think about that when I started doing both. I was hell bent on removing sugar from my diet and I thought why not double team it or something, lol. But, as time goes on I do notice that it has limited me more (both plans actually). In some ways it is positive since I am not eating as much fruit as I would Whole30 if I weren't also doing 21 DSD and I am not paleofying treats like I would if I weren't doing Whole30. But I realize the negative impact as well. I'm almost done with the 21 DSD and at that time, I'll be able to add sweet potatoes and berries. The good news is I'll be able to see the impact on my blood sugar that these foods specifically have once I add them back as it won't be all confused with everything else.

In the future, I'll be doing Whole30 for the most part as long as it takes over the next two to three years to get my health/body where it needs to be.

We are looking for a new CSA now that we have relocated so the veggie thing is definitely about to resolve itself!

One other thing to note. I started taking the L-Glutamine again and after two days, my fasting blood sugar is back down in the 80's. So, that may have been the issue.

Archived