Beef drippings?

Nicole

I bought beef drippings, and just started seasoning my pans with them, when I realized: wait a minute! What is the difference between lard and beef drippings? And can I have it?

From a google search it sounds like drippings are what you get after it's been cooked, but that made me suspicious of the cooking process used to make the drippings... I bought it in a tub... I didn't gather the drippings myself; so how do I know whether vegetable oils or anything else was used in the cooking process?

I do know that it is made in New Zealand (where I live) and that means that it will be drippings from grass fed cows because that is pretty much the meat we grow here by default.

Does anyone know anything about this and whether it's safe to eat the drippings? Or to season my pans with it? I would hate to find out that it was kind of a trick and not actually a good fat.

Also, it says on the container that it is cold rendered...? The ingredients say 100% beef drippings.

Cheers.

Lard is from pork from what I know. I have always thought of beef drippings as that yummy stuff you get when you roast a chunk of lovely roasted beef. Is there a phone number or website on the package? I have no clue what cold rendered means. I am very curious about all of this and I want some. :)

But check to see if there are more ingredients and if they are compliant.

Thank you! I think I will just hold off on using it, and hold off on seasoning my cast iron pans with it, until I am able to reach them on the phone.

I shall report back for sure!!

Solved!

It's Monday now (in New Zealand) so my husband called the company to ask what goes into production. Apparently it is only beef and is processed by boiling the meat to get to the fat. There are no additives, oils, or other funny business involved in the process…. Just cow and water… At least for this company!

This label just said beef drippings as the ingredients, so I think that if a company did put other things like salt, or vegetable oil, or anything else; that they would likely list it in the ingredients even if they were not directly put in the container, but rather got there through the processing. That is my assumption. It was definitely worth checking for me.

So I guess it is what us country bumpkins would called rendered beef suet.... I, like Susan, always referred to " drippings" as the fond or carmalized juices that collect at the bottom of the pan that make " pan gravy"

( if anyone is interested,a sauce is made from stock or broth of other flavorful liquids, while a gravy can only be called a gravy if it is made from the " drippings" at the bottom of the pan that "whatever" was roasted in). :)

I, like Susan, always referred to " drippings" as the fond or carmalized juices that collect at the bottom of the pan that make " pan gravy"

Yes, that is what I call drippings too! But I'm from America originally, so maybe it's different lingo here. I've been here almost s decade and I'm still surprised by the things I learn.

Archived