Nutritional content of recipes

Pam H.

Some of the recipes look interesting ,but how do you plan your meals when the recipes don’t give nutritional content? Some don’t say how many servings the recipe makes and I don’t see calorie content (I want to make sure I get a minimum number of calories daily to avoid starvation mode)

• Moderators

Whole30 encourages not counting calories, instead focusing on the meal template (download it here: https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/), eating to fullness, and eating when hungry. 

If you need to double check that you're getting enough calories, you can always plug foods into online calorie trackers. We would encourage you not to necessarily do this all the time, but rather to check occasionally to make sure you stay on track.

If you need to be sure to get enough calories, you're going to want to ensure you include a serving or more of starchy vegetables each day, like potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, beets, parsnips, and other root vegetables; winter squashes like butternut, acorn, or kabocha squash or pumpkin; or plantains.

It's also important to include a serving or two of fat at each meal, as shown in the meal template. This could be a large handful of olives or coconut flakes, a half to a whole avocado, 3-4 oz of full fat canned coconut milk, a small handful of nuts or seeds, or a thumb-sized portion of mayo, oil, or seed or nut butter, or sauces made from those. 

You'll also have protein at each meal, plenty of other vegetables in addition to the starchy ones, and occasionally some fruit if you like.

Whole30 is not about limiting how much you eat. It could be easy to undereat, but if you make an effort to follow the meal template, especially including a serving of fat each day and a serving or more of starchy vegetable each day, you should not have any problems. 

Archived