Can I have Kelp Noodles

Artmama3

Hi, I'm on day 46 of the Whole 30! I feel so good that I've not added anything back into my diet that wasn't allowed! But I saw a post on a gluten free blog about "Kelp Noodles". First, I can't find them here in my little bubble a.k.a. Peachtree City, Ga. But would love to try them with my meatballs! Thxs

I know nothing of kelp noodles, but I am OBSESSED with zucchini noodles. They are SO good with meatballs. I bought a rotary slicer that turns squash into noodles, and cuts curly sweet potato fries too! It was worth the $30.00 I spent to get it.

• Moderators

Kelp noodles are a sea vegetable. They typically include just kelp and sodium alginate, which is a seaweed extract. I assume that is not too bad, so I would say kelp noodles are okay. However, I would second the vote for zucchini noodles. They are awesome and you can make them with a peeler too.

What kind of slicer do you have, szwald? Looking for one...

I know nothing of kelp noodles, but I am OBSESSED with zucchini noodles. They are SO good with meatballs. I bought a rotary slicer that turns squash into noodles, and cuts curly sweet potato fries too! It was worth the $30.00 I spent to get it.

I have this one: http://www.amazon.co...39087938&sr=8-1

I love it. I didn't want to invest too much money at first (wanted to make sure I loved it), and so far this has worked perfectly. I have had it for about six months and use it weekly.

I have this one as well...and to say it changed my paleo experience would be an understatement! So many more possibilities...there is just something so comforting about noodles.

Other than zucchini, what are some other vegetables you have tried?

• 4 weeks later...

um, sorry but these are not kelp noodles. kelp noodles are, well, noodles made of kelp. Miracle (shiratake) noodles are made of glucomannan, which is a type of fiber derived from a japanese yam, I think? I think I've seen shiratake mentioned as "ok, but not recommended" Personally I don't choose to include them. they don't seem like real food to me (very processed) and I know for some people they cause a lot of digestive distress.

• 2 months later...

I've used kelp noodles before and really like them. Although since I haven't tried them while doing Whole 30, not sure if the ones I used (bought at local Japanese market) were ok or not. However, quick search found these - http://bit.ly/NAmDHc which look like they are ok.

I often use with seafood. Try poached salmon on a bed of kelp noodles (play with seasons to get a flavor you like) or add them to a seafood curry or seafood stew (just a couple suggestions)

I think the point that is regardless if the noodles are made with kelp or yams (they are similar in taste and texture), if you look at the nutrition, there is hardly any at all and the point of Whole30 is to get back to eating things that are the most valuable to us nutritionally. So, basically, it's eating empty calories, even though it isn't many calories.

I just tried kelp noodles last night and have my first real stomachache since beginning the whole30 8 days ago. Could be coincidence because my husband's stomach was not upset, but the noodles had the texture of a fishing net and were't good enough to risk again. Spaghetti squash is better!

Archived