Let's Support Each Other — doing a January Whole30

tiffysquid

Well shyte. I’m sick. My youngest was sick last week. Covid negative. I now have the same symptoms he did. Yay me!! No wonder I have felt so run down. This stupid thing was brewing. 

I tend to not take care of myself when I’m sick though. I mean I’m a mom. So today I still cleaned the whole house. Toilets and all. Meal prepped a little bit of meat and fed my family. I didn’t eat much at all today but I’m ready for tomorrow if my appetite is back. Now I’m lying in bed praying my body isn’t too angry tomorrow. 

hahaha. I just proofread my post. I promise I washed my hands between the toilets and meal prepping :lol::lol:

hope everyone has a good day tomorrow. 
night all 

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Aliem999 MSG is in loads of things here in the UK, it’s not that I buy things with it per se. It’s usually one of many banned ingredients on an ingredients list! Stock cubes, snack foods etc, a lot of Chinese food and seasoning etc. all contain msg. Considering it’s so widely recognised as being a chemical that makes you want to eat more (once you pop, you can’t stop?) I find it strange that it’s now allowed on the programme, especially as it holds zero nutritional value. 

@MizRikoh no, hope you recover quickly 

re: tater-tots! Ok, like a potato croquette type thing? Mash potato inside, coated outside? My kids would love them! Lots of brands of potato products here have dextrose in them, in fact a lot of stores own brands have every single potato item with dextrose added <Morrisons> To make them crispy. Sometimes it’s easier when it’s just ‘no’ to all isn’t it? I find you can’t beat a roast potato, made properly with love and duck fat. Joyous! 

tiger blood? Yes I think I’m starting to feel her roar! I ran 16km yesterday and at times I felt I was flying, really energised. I’ve got the tell tale sign (for me) of wanting to throw the windows open and clean/tidy/organise my life, it’s usually an indicator for me as I feel so motivated and energised. Yesterday afternoon I sorted out a full sack of clothes and put them on Facebook Free stuff and got rid of them, and also cleaned my house from top to bottom. I did nearly 30k steps in total! So yes, I am definitely feeling the tiger blood in there somewhere. 

my boy is still off with covid so I am working from home today ( hopefully the last day) 

My throat is not happy this morning. Being sick is stupid.

What are your thoughts on throat lozenges with sugar in them? I’m currently sucking on ice and it’s just not cutting it. I have two different kinds but of course both have sugar. I mean it’s not like I’m popping Candy. They are menthol and don’t taste good at all even with the added sugar :lol:

I feel like there should be an exception for these things but at the same time I’m betting there isn’t. 

I’m guessing I need to stick to the ice. <_< 

I found this on the Whole30 page….. 

And if it’s a matter of taking the Nyquil and sleeping through the night, or sticking to the Whole30 and being miserable, well… sweet dreams. (We’re pretty sure no one sips Nyquil for the sugar hit.)

nowhere in the article does it say you need to start over either. I think I will try one lozenge and if it works miracles I will sneak another one or two in until I can get to the store to find sugar free ones. there hasta be sugar free ones. 

The article also listed some herbal teas and stuff that are approved. So I will look for those. 

9 hours ago, Rebecca001 said:

@Aliem999 MSG is in loads of things here in the UK, it’s not that I buy things with it per se. It’s usually one of many banned ingredients on an ingredients list! Stock cubes, snack foods etc, a lot of Chinese food and seasoning etc. all contain msg. Considering it’s so widely recognised as being a chemical that makes you want to eat more (once you pop, you can’t stop?) I find it strange that it’s now allowed on the programme, especially as it holds zero nutritional value. 

I agree. In the US, it is mostly in Asian food, stock cubes and things like Doritos. I don't think I have ever seen anything that has MSG that is otherwise compliant. Maybe stock cubes? But I have found several brands of broth that are already complaint. Really the bigger issue is the sugar in stock/bullion and not the MSG. Most of the MSG stock cubes I have seen are ones that I really would not buy anyways (think super low quality).

It really does seem weird since MSG has been tied with turning off your brain's receptors to stop eating. Heck, a lot of Asain ingredients here are marketed with "No MSG". Granted, if you shop at an Asain market, it is going to be tough. But once again, Whole30 is really more based on meat and veggies, instead of processed goods so you can really shop anywhere as long as you stay on the outskirts of the market. I think in the last 10 or so years I have seen a major decrease in products with MSG and I think if you are eating things like Doritos, you really aren't concerned with the MSG. I have never put down a bag of Doritos because they have MSG in it. There are probably worse things in it for you!

9 hours ago, Rebecca001 said:

@MizRikoh no, hope you recover quickly 

re: tater-tots! Ok, like a potato croquette type thing? Mash potato inside, coated outside? My kids would love them! Lots of brands of potato products here have dextrose in them, in fact a lot of stores own brands have every single potato item with dextrose added <Morrisons> To make them crispy. Sometimes it’s easier when it’s just ‘no’ to all isn’t it? I find you can’t beat a roast potato, made properly with love and duck fat. Joyous! 

No. They are like hash brown balls, deep fried usually. The frozen ones are already fried and you bake them. I would assume all of most of them here have dextrose. There are a few brands that are closed to a croquet with veggies mixed in. Super expensive and mostly targeted to kids. I have not tried them since my son is allergic to eggs and those all have egg, but I have had other things from the brand and they are pretty good.

2 hours ago, MizRik said:

I found this on the Whole30 page….. 

And if it’s a matter of taking the Nyquil and sleeping through the night, or sticking to the Whole30 and being miserable, well… sweet dreams. (We’re pretty sure no one sips Nyquil for the sugar hit.)

nowhere in the article does it say you need to start over either. I think I will try one lozenge and if it works miracles I will sneak another one or two in until I can get to the store to find sugar free ones. there hasta be sugar free ones. 

The article also listed some herbal teas and stuff that are approved. So I will look for those. 

The sugar free ones are usually fake sugar. I would get regular sugar ones if it is not corn syrup based.

Feel better!

33 minutes ago, Aliem999 said:

The sugar free ones are usually fake sugar. I would get regular sugar ones if it is not corn syrup based.

Feel better!

I tried the one I had. It was a “glucose syrup” or something on the ingredients list. It didn’t do anything more than chomping on the ice did. So I will stick to the ice at this point. 

I work in a hospital and hafta go back to work tomorrow so I’m currently sitting in an instacare for a rapid strep and covid test. As long as it’s not covid I will go to work. I’m 99% sure it’s not but I need to play it safe. I’m so over covid. I wish we could just go back to ignoring our colds :lol:

My goal for today is to eat something. 
I haven’t eaten in about 24 hours. Worst case scenario I will drink some compliant chicken broth or something. I already had a poor appetite, this did not help. 

2 hours ago, Aliem999 said:

I agree. In the US, it is mostly in Asian food, stock cubes and things like Doritos. I don't think I have ever seen anything that has MSG that is otherwise compliant. Maybe stock cubes? But I have found several brands of broth that are already complaint. Really the bigger issue is the sugar in stock/bullion and not the MSG. Most of the MSG stock cubes I have seen are ones that I really would not buy anyways (think super low quality).

It really does seem weird since MSG has been tied with turning off your brain's receptors to stop eating. Heck, a lot of Asain ingredients here are marketed with "No MSG". Granted, if you shop at an Asain market, it is going to be tough. But once again, Whole30 is really more based on meat and veggies, instead of processed goods so you can really shop anywhere as long as you stay on the outskirts of the market. I think in the last 10 or so years I have seen a major decrease in products with MSG and I think if you are eating things like Doritos, you really aren't concerned with the MSG. I have never put down a bag of Doritos because they have MSG in it. There are probably worse things in it for you!

have you read Melissa's new information on MSG? I admit I don't know much about it myself, but she claims most of the information that came out about it being 'unhealthy' was directly related to racism and anti-asian sentiments. I've never cooked with it myself, but I know others who were quite excited as it allowed them to have more of their traditional flavours while doing Whole 30, which definitely helps when you are otherwise restricting yourself while on the program. 

I think the idea of 'food with no brakes' can be different for each person. For example, fresh fruit can sometimes trigger people, but I certainly cannot see myself sitting down to a whole bunch of bananas, or a bushel of apples. So perhaps this is a similar case? For some it may trigger, for others it is a nice accompaniment to their traditional values and flavours. 

If Melissa hasn't found scientific reason to doubt it any longer, I'm happy to follow suit. <shrug>

11 hours ago, Rebecca001 said:

From what I know of it, its just a spice/seasoning no? So similarly, I would just consider it as another type of spice..? That seems to be how Melissa portrayed it at least. 

As for the MSG thing. It seems in all the years I have been aware of the Whole30, very minimal changes have ever been made. 

She started labeling Lara bars and Rx bars as only partially compliant aka emergency food only because they are easily food without breaks for most people and easily trigger the sugar dragon. She also totally nixed plantain chips which honeslty made me sad because I love plantain chips and homemeade guacamole. 

As for add ins. I think MSG and white potatoes are all I have ever seen her add back in as okay. 

Anywho. It appears things are not done at random. She always has good reasoning and typically science backing info. 

as @itskatiegirl11mentioned anything could be food without breaks  while it’s just fine for someone else. I think one of the biggest bases of Whole30 is to pay attention and take the time to learn you and your body. 

ps. My covid and strep tests were negative. I just have a cold. 

52 minutes ago, itskatiegirl11 said:

From what I know of it, its just a spice/seasoning no? So similarly, I would just consider it as another type of spice..? That seems to be how Melissa portrayed it at least. 

I mean it is naturally occurring in some foods but from what I understand it is fermented wheat gluten (sometimes sucgar cane, corn, cassava, seaweed, etc) with sodium added to it. Seems significantly less natural than most things allowed on Whole30. It's base is also one of the things specifically not allowed on Whole30. Like why MSG and not peanut oil, since most people are allergic/sensitive to the protein in peanuts and a good chunk of those with peanut allergies are fine with things like french fries fried in peanut oil. Or how some kombuchas have sugar in them to aid in the fermentation, but those are not okay even though both are fermented sugar? I am sure there is a reason, I am not a scientist. I don't know. I read the article and did not find it terribly convincing. Seemed to me that because a study found out that people don't get headaches when eating it, it is okay. I have also never found anything otherwise compliant, but with MSG. So it does not really effect me.

Most spices are ground plants. This seems different to me. Either way, it does not really change my Whole30, since I really don't see Whole30 compliant products with MSG in it.

Rikki, i hope you are feeling better!

The MSG controversy is interesting to me, as someone who had had reactions to *something* in a number of soups in Asian restaurants in the US. Once I read about MSG being a problem, I stopped eating at places that use MSG, and stopped having the symptoms. The one time I slipped was in Thailand, and I was practically hallucinating from whatever was in that (delicious) Tom Yum soup. Was it MSG? I can't really say. But it brought on migraine effects.

Food today: my son and I ended up unexpectedly driving half an hour to meet a friend on a nearby river, late afternoon. Just before we dashed out the door, I stuck the thawed-out chicken drumsticks in the InstantPot, threw in a piece of lemongrass and some wilting green leek-tops, a cup of water, salt and pepper. Turned it to "slow cook" and hoped for the best.

Came home to a very delicious, if not terribly attractive, chicken dinner! On the side, previously roasted sweet potatoes. I also have a big bag of sturdy winter salad greens from our local CSA; ate a big bowl of those with tahini and lemon juice for dressing. Feeling very sated.

Well I am annoyed. I am on day 15 and just found out there was a tiny bit of honey in my salad dressing today. I always get a compliant basil dressing but today got a green goddess because it was pre-30 default and I wasn't thinking. I really can't "start over" since I am heading to Jamaica shortly after the 30 so I guess I'll just soldier on and settle for whatever it will be. Rah! :(

50 minutes ago, Loop said:

Well I am annoyed. I am on day 15 and just found out there was a tiny bit of honey in my salad dressing today. I always get a compliant basil dressing but today got a green goddess because it was pre-30 default and I wasn't thinking. I really can't "start over" since I am heading to Jamaica shortly after the 30 so I guess I'll just soldier on and settle for whatever it will be. Rah! :(

I think a tiny bit of sugar is probably the least problematic thing, especially honey. I would totally do the same. On day two I accidentally had half a grain of rice. I was already thinking of adding a week or two on anyway (have not decided yet). At least it was day two so adding a couple of days probably is not a big deal. Day 15 would be so hard

Last night I dreamt about accidentally eating off-plan!

The dream included a scene where the police were dragging me and my family off. I was rummaging through a drawer finding snacks for my son. In real life, the snack drawer contains roasted seaweed, rice cakes, nuts, corn nuts, Lara bars. In the dream it was like kind of gross, low-end junk food, store-bought cookies, none of them in their packages, sticky with jam...

Can I just pat myself on the back for a second

I am a HUGE comfort eater!! Being sick is one of those times I WANT/NEED comfort food!!  I don’t have an appetite right now per say but I have killer cravings and habits calling to me big time!! I want sugary sprite, I want cold ice cream, I want warm, homemade, thick noodled, chicken noodle soup and saltine crackers. I want my dads chocolate chip cookies and I want my grandma to bring me orange popsicles. I want all of those things to make me feel better! 

And you know what….. I haven’t touched any of them. I’m in my emotionally weak place and I’m still staying on plan (I mean other than the one cough drop I tried that did nothing for my sore throat). 

These are the moments I usually cave and say screw it! Give me all the chocolate! But this time I’m not. This time I’m reminding myself that the bigger picture here is caring for my MS and body in a way that maybe, just maybe I will get sick less often. This isn’t just about swimsuit season anymore. It’s about my health. 

i got this. 

we all got this :wub:

Great to read all the posts, gives a little boost on this 2nd day dealing with an upset bowel… (I’m on W30 day 17) I’m not sure what caused it, but I might have overeaten on (chinese 5 spice) cashews… or it were the marinated mushrooms..?

So for the coming days I’m trying to stay away from nuts, cabbages, mushrooms and raw veggies and hope to be in shape back soon because Sunday I felt like I could conquer the world and was sure the Tiger Blood had kicked in!

Hi everyone - quick early Wednesday morning report that I believe the tiger blood is here! It’s day 17 :D perfect timing as I’m running around at work with new employee orientation  - I’m a corporate trainer. I was up before 4am and ready to go! Finally less hungry too. Hope you all are having a great week …the W30 home stretch is in sight! 

Too funny. After my post last night about not touching my comfort foods while sick…. This was the daily Whole30 text I received. 

It's Day 17, and by now, you've hit a bump or two. You've been anxious, lonely, or scared, and tempted to comfort yourself with something sweet and instantly gratifying (AKA numbing).
A gentle reminder from me (and from Past You, who came to the Whole30 in part for this specific reason): Food won't make it better. It won't make it easier. It won't make you happier. It doesn't fill the hole. It doesn't fix what's wrong. Connection, support, love, and reassurance don't come from a wrapper, box, or bottle. I know you know this.
You're on the right path. STICK WITH IT. M x

14 minutes ago, MizRik said:

Too funny. After my post last night about not touching my comfort foods while sick…. This was the daily Whole30 text I received. 

It's Day 17, and by now, you've hit a bump or two. You've been anxious, lonely, or scared, and tempted to comfort yourself with something sweet and instantly gratifying (AKA numbing).
A gentle reminder from me (and from Past You, who came to the Whole30 in part for this specific reason): Food won't make it better. It won't make it easier. It won't make you happier. It doesn't fill the hole. It doesn't fix what's wrong. Connection, support, love, and reassurance don't come from a wrapper, box, or bottle. I know you know this.
You're on the right path. STICK WITH IT. M x

I don't know... for me it comes from a bottle of Kombucha :P 

Hokay... I've been doing so great while on my own these last 3 weeks, but this is going to be the true test - going home to my bf and keeping myself from joining him on the couch eating chips! Wish me luck!!

Day 22 -  perhaps I feel the tiger blood? (I don't know really, working 28 days straight of 12 hour shift is EXHAUSTING on a good day, so I think that may be obscuring my results), but I have felt in rather good spirits for the last week or so, so perhaps that is it. I have noticed though, how CLEAR my skin is (and believe me I notice every little blemish on my face), and how great food tastes (food is so naturally sweet, I dont know how I didn't notice before), and how few cravings I've been having (although just thinking of going home gives me cravings of my usual celebratory off work meals...). 

Archived