Let's Support Each Other — doing a January Whole30

tiffysquid

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@MizRik great job on not indulging while being sick! Nicely done.

@itskatiegirl11 funny how sweet real food can be, eh? and also funny how short a time it takes to notice, just like a week or two of not eating added sugars. i hope you come up with some fine celebratory meals that are W30-compliant.

@Loop  me too! i'm a kombucha comfort food person, even when eating a full (fattening, joint-aching, crummy-feeling) diet.

Whole30 Day 13 for me today... and moon cycle Day 16. i am super duper grouchy. last night i yelled at my son for something that was, sure, annoying, but not yell-worthy. apologized to him and let him know: Mama Is Cranky. keeping him apprised of these moods helps; he understands he's not to blame, and hopefully understands it's not a good time to push my buttons or push his luck.

breakfast: two eggs over medium, over winter salad greens with tahini and rice vinegar (yum)... decaf, black... and part of a freshly roasted sweet potato/yam, mashed with ghee and cacao/cocoa powder, sprinkled with little cubes of Hawaiian salt.

1 hour ago, MizRik said:

Well Shyte. The hospital made me retest yesterday and my covid came back positive. So much for me getting to feel the tigers blood since it coincides with me getting covid. Lame :lol::lol::rolleyes:

oh! you've got Les Covides! oh dear. i hope it doesn't go too badly for you. maybe you'll get your tigers blood later. (mine doesn't coincide with the Melissa Urban timeline, when i do get it...)

21 hours ago, MizRik said:

Well Shyte. The hospital made me retest yesterday and my covid came back positive. So much for me getting to feel the tigers blood since it coincides with me getting covid. Lame :lol::lol::rolleyes:

Sorry! Feel better soon and speedy recovery from 'rona

What do you ladies think I should do? I did take both DayQuil once and Nyquil once yesterday which are pure sugar, and I know Melisa said it was okay to do in that article I found, but now I feel like I cheated the plan. Do I still keep going and claim I completed a Whole30 at the end? Or do I just accept defeat with being sick? The meds and cough drops are the only things that don’t fit but still. 

Thanks in advance 

oh and other update … I am feeling okay overall today. I was up about every two hours overnight with wicked coughing fits but my sore throat is a bit better. I do sound awful still but I sound way worse than I feel. 

13 minutes ago, MizRik said:

What do you ladies think I should do? I did take both DayQuil once and Nyquil once yesterday which are pure sugar, and I know Melisa said it was okay to do in that article I found, but now I feel like I cheated the plan. Do I still keep going and claim I completed a Whole30 at the end? Or do I just accept defeat with being sick? The meds and cough drops are the only things that don’t fit but still. 

Thanks in advance 

oh and other update … I am feeling okay overall today. I was up about every two hours overnight with wicked coughing fits but my sore throat is a bit better. I do sound awful still but I sound way worse than I feel. 

This is my opinion so hopefully heads don't explode. I say don't start over. If you have been stellar everywhere else within the recommended plan, other than treating your body for an illness, why start over? I just had surgery on Tuesday, under anesthesia and all sorts of drugs but I am not starting over.  But that's my opinion and I think the general consensus is to use your best judgement. It's not like you sneaked a chocolate chip cookie or two and then pondering whether or not to start over (in that case I would say YES!)

@MizRik Well, personally I would move on, and stop using sugar cough drops, and just stick with the current Whole30. If it works for your life, it might not be a bad idea to extend the Whole30 an extra week or so, since illness and the medicines both mess with your body pretty thoroughly. So, I'd pad it with extra W30 time before reintroducing foods, just so things are really clean & clear. After all this work, may as well make sure you're getting solid info from the reintroduction phase.

Unless, like me, you're not really doing this W30 for the information to be gleaned during reintroduction. I'm just doing this to feel better for a while. I already know my body would rather not have grains and legumes and sugar! So for me, the reintro phase isn't going to to be super important.

Hi everyone. 
i’n not sure what I’d do with the sugar dilemma. Maybe see how you feel once the covid has gone. I had no actual symptoms when I had covid but the brain fog and weird neurological side effects lingered for 6 weeks and it took a good strict w30 to clear it and feel better. The effects of a few spoons of medicine are going to be negligible but if it prevents you ‘slaying the sugar dragon’ then you might need to add a few days more on . 

I’m feeling so tired. That’s not w30 related, just exhausted from life. It’s Thursday, it’s been a loooong week. I also find sometimes when I’m really in the throes of the tiger blood that I just do so much that I feel tired- does that make sense? I made crispy coated chicken with some seasoned almond flour and egg wash, with a simple salad for dinner and it was really tasty. Gearing up for our 4th dry weekend in Jan. my husband is planning which chianti he is drinking on 1st feb, whereas I’m…. Not. Not quite. I think I’m going to stay off the alcohol for a little while longer, although let’s see how I feel once the 30 days are up. 

is everyone starting to think of reintroductions? What’s everyone’s plan post 30?? 

43 minutes ago, Rebecca001 said:

I’m feeling so tired. That’s not w30 related, just exhausted from life. It’s Thursday, it’s been a loooong week. I also find sometimes when I’m really in the throes of the tiger blood that I just do so much that I feel tired- does that make sense? I made crispy coated chicken with some seasoned almond flour and egg wash, with a simple salad for dinner and it was really tasty. Gearing up for our 4th dry weekend in Jan. my husband is planning which chianti he is drinking on 1st feb, whereas I’m…. Not. Not quite. I think I’m going to stay off the alcohol for a little while longer, although let’s see how I feel once the 30 days are up.

Yes! It's my work busy season. Working 60+ hours a week. Doesn't matter if I am in "Tiger's blood". I am going to be tired. Just less so than I would be otherwise.

My plan (tentative) plan is to likely do a Whole45ish and then round out Feb being mostly Whole30. I have a girls weekend mid March so I definitely need to reintroduce alcohol a few weeks before. This weekend will be a "worth it" weekend and something I haven't done in years. I have done reintroduction in the past so I might do some of them end of Feb, but I've done them a few times and never really had issues. I am doing my Whole30 mostly for a diet reset (and a little bit to get into a smaller dress size for the girls weekend). I barely ate veggies in November and December and ate so much! I needed to get back to what makes by body happy (most of the time)

It’s finally Friday. This week has been so busy! We have nothing in for dinner either and so my husband is going to pick something up on the way home. To prepare for this I ate a chicken breast after work just to take the edge off my hunger and strengthen my resolve a bit. I barely even stopped for a drink of water today and have hardly eaten any veg. If he brings something off plan, I think I’ll do a baked potato and salad and just go very simple. 

The weekends are always harder for me, I just find I eat more generally and not always mindfully. So that’s my aim for the weekend, just to keep my head in the game and focus. 

@Aliem999 Sounds like you and I are on the same track. I've just finished reading "It Starts with Food," and realized that I want to do my Whole## more thoroughly than I have been. I've been completely on-plan with which foods I eat, but haven't adjusted when and how much I eat.

So - I think I will keep modifying that, and continue through at least mid-February, so make it a Whole45, or maybe extend into a Whole60 (and y'all are welcome to stay in this topic as you move forward past reintroduction, if you want to cheer me on!).

In March we will be taking a trip to Mexico to meet up with family. Past Whole30s have taught me that I am much better off without corn... but no way am I going to visit Baja without eating street tacos!! So, I guess a pre-planned vacation cheat is in store.

In general, I'm thinking back to how good it felt to be "mostly paleo, Whole30-ish" from May 2017 (my first W30) through about August 2019.

I'm thinking about the slippery slope: how I slowly added in rice, rice noodles, occasional alcohol. By 2020 I was Eating Everything during the pandemic, making sourdough, etc. How alcohol didn't get out of control, but started to feel really noticeable. Sugar on the other hand *did* start to feel out of control. Do I want to go back to that way of life???

1 hour ago, tiffysquid said:

I'm thinking about the slippery slope: how I slowly added in rice, rice noodles, occasional alcohol.

Same here…I’m gluten and dairy free, but all grains seem to be “food with no brakes” for me and result in weight gain, especially when blended together. Things like gluten-free bread, pasta, crackers. Corn and most beans bother my stomach. My last Whole30 in January 2021 I only reintroduced alcohol and didn’t  eat grains for a few months, Then, I went off the rails like I always do! :blink:  My plan after W30 is to just introduce the alcohol - I have a family party on Feb 5 so it will be the first weekend after. But no grains or added sugar! 

i feel like the alcohol and sugar are so thoroughly intertwined -- if i have either of them regularly, like once a month or more, it's the slippery slope to the Sugar Dragon's lair. cupcake, big serving of white rice, or a glass of wine? the Sugar Dragon doesn't care. it's all food to him.

it also seems like W30 would be so very helpful for problem drinkers. i think it's way easier to stop drinking during a W30 than to stop drinking while still eating sugar and grains. likewise, easier to stop eating those cupcakes during a W30 than when i've been slipping in carbs and booze.

for me it's a visible pattern. also, i do a health and mood tracking chart every night. this helps me see the connections between what i eat and drink, my allergy exposures, mood, health, etc.

and boy does it show how slippery the slope is for alcohol & sugar, for me! what starts as one "treat" every two months goes off the rails as soon as it is 1/month or more. charting is GREAT because you add up at the end of the month, "How many drinks total this month?" and there it is, in stark black and white: evidence that i've gone from 1 glass/month to 12/month, just like that. (and if you find yourself cheating or underestimating your # of drinks recorded per day? that's a good sign that maybe alcohol is a bigger problem than you realized...)

For me it’s always sugar that creeps back in. I could live day today day 100% grain and dairy free, but I do reintroduce alcohol and then eventually sugar creeps back in. That being said, I can go months without any. Usually it is emotional eating that brings it back, not a genuine desire for a specific thing, but triggered by a stressful situation where I revert back to my old coping strategy. I’d like to do longer than the month without alcohol this time round, I regularly do a dry month (did 5 last year) but never more than a month at a time! 

my hip hurt today, a recurring injury caused by running (and not stretching) so today I didn’t run or do a workout class which is very unlike me. But I need to look after it as I had a lot of injury time last year and I don’t want that again. I did 30 mins of yoga though. My lunch was leftover bolognese sauce and broccoli and my dinner tonight will be lamb steaks and roasted tomatoes with garlic and basil 

Third weekend of W30 and I’m having food boredom. Most likely because I ate chicken all week and when I went grocery shopping today, I was focused on the cost of the meat instead of thinking about any recipes. I ended up getting a giant pork shoulder for my husband to smoke, a whole chicken to freeze, chicken thighs, whole butternut squash,  spaghetti squash and Brussels sprouts. Other veg too.  So, I’ll be eating pork all week. :D Planning to cook vegetables on Sunday, so tonight I just made a quick chicken soup - sautéed carrots, celery and onions, added chicken broth and chopped up chicken - combination of roasted chicken leftovers and a smoked chicken thigh. It’s very cold here so soup was on my mind. I also whipped up another double batch of lemon tahini dressing. 20 days done and 1/3 of the way to go! Yay

Hello Everyone! I have been MIA and am going to re-start tomorrow, Monday Jan 24. I had some mild cold symptoms right after starting and turns out I was covid positive. I gradually went off W30 during my isolations days and so am definitely going to re-start. I caught up a little bit and appreciate everyone's posting here and sharing our experiences! Thanks and "see" you soon!

hi @lizzieforce, i hope your Covid wasn't too bad, and welcome back to your new W30!

i hear you on the food boredom, @christine19 ... i'm eating pork this week because my husband, who doesn't eat meat, did the last round of shopping. i'm not super into pork. but what i'm making smells good: it's a big, thick chop in the slow cooker with cabbage, kale, onions, allspice, fresh ginger, a little bit of water and apple cider vinegar.

@Rebecca001 your dinner sounds delish!

oh! also: i am readig a book called "The XX Brain: The Groundbreaking Science Empowering Women to Maximize Cognitive Health and Prevent Alzheimer's Disease Hardcover" by Lisa Mosconi PhD.

and the conclusions are anti-Whole30, opposite-of-paleo, in many ways. animal fat bad. whole grains okay. it's stressing me out. my mom has early stage dementia, and i have hormonal issues. Whole30 and "Whole30-ish" and paleo eating make me feel better and lose weight... but if they're going to give me Alzheimer's and/or a heart attack, is it worth it??

i wish the science were more accurate and consistent! that'd make things easy.

4 hours ago, tiffysquid said:

oh! also: i am readig a book called "The XX Brain: The Groundbreaking Science Empowering Women to Maximize Cognitive Health and Prevent Alzheimer's Disease Hardcover" by Lisa Mosconi PhD.

and the conclusions are anti-Whole30, opposite-of-paleo, in many ways. animal fat bad. whole grains okay. it's stressing me out. my mom has early stage dementia, and i have hormonal issues. Whole30 and "Whole30-ish" and paleo eating make me feel better and lose weight... but if they're going to give me Alzheimer's and/or a heart attack, is it worth it??

i wish the science were more accurate and consistent! that'd make things easy.

Oh, that’s weird… I’ve also read stuff that says the opposite - that keto/paleo/whole30 type nutrition can prevent Alzheimer’s…

is this a recent publication you’re reading?

I need some TLC… thought I would have an easy week ahead, meal planned and went grocery shopping etc… but yesterday broke or sprained (they had a doubt at the ER) my wrist while out skiing for the day. :-(

so my left arm is in a cast… no whole30 compatible pre-packaged meals here in France and I didn’t get a lot of meal prep done (except for a batch of chicken-vegetable soup that should keep me going for about 2 days). Boohoo.

of course it’s also cycle day 1 today so I’m feeling quite sorry for myself. Thanks all for letting me vent! :)

@tiffysquid Yeah. I think this Whole30 has been pricier since I have been relying on more pre-prepped stuff, but definitely cheaper than eating out a lot (like in November/December). It has been nice. I will definitely continue to do so after my Whole30. I think cutting out cheese for most of last year due to my son's allergies helped to quell my dairy cravings. Definitely that and french fries are my food without breaks. I do want to add back dairy (cheese) but limit it to a couple of times a week for "worth it" foods. I think what I want to do is 80% whole30. That is how I used to eat when I felt great about myself. Used to eat Whole30 during the week and then usually have a couple of "worth it" meals on the weekend. I think this Whole30 helped me to reset that.

I’m still around and definitely with you all on the food boredom!!! Plus boredom in general with being in quarantine for covid has made it even worse. I know two things about myself without a doubt ….. I am an emotional eater and a bored eater. So the fact that I have stuck with this whole thing while being out with covid is amazing!! 

I am not exactly sure how i will work my reintroduction just yet. I feel like sugars have already been reintroduced with the cold meds and cough drops I used on the worst days of my covid but I’m trying really hard to not count those against me. I do think I will end up lengthening my Whole30 out a bit because of it but we shall see. Or I will still start reintro on day 31 and just take it painfully slow with a plan of never fully leaving the Whole30 all together. I could be fine with grains and dairy being a very rare treat to be honest.  Same with alcohol. I go months without it anyway. 

anyway. I’m feeling much better!! Even went to yoga today. Still dying to get on a scale and check my measurements. That I think is my hardest battle these days. 

Made a Whole30 Fish Taco Bowl tonight - store had wild fresh cod on sale, and I had a big bunch of cilantro at home so was able to use a lot of that. Bought the Paleo Kitchen Chipotle Mayo and thinned it out to make that necessary "crema" to go on the fish. It was really good! Very satisfying and helped us with our current state of "we no longer care" lol

Archived