Let's Support Each Other — doing a January Whole30

tiffysquid

Sounds like everyone is doing pretty well so far! Nice.

As for my banana dipped in raw cacao/cocoa powder... well, apparently that's not going to stay in the rotation. I've probably had 3-4 of them since making the discovery the other night. Here's from someplace on the whole30 website:

"Cacao (or 100% cocoa) is great when used as a savory spice (our Mocha Steak Rub from It Starts With Food is a great example), but you can also add it to your coffee or tea. However, don’t mix cacao with dates, figs, or other fruits to make chocolate-y confections during your program. That goes against the spirit and intention of the program."

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Morning everyone, it’s 8am Uk Sunday here! Yesterday I had a weird day, I went to bootcamp then took the children out and did 17,000 steps before having any lunch. I felt so hungry as soon as I ate, I had salmon and salad (at a restaurant but I ensured it was all on board) but I think the knock on effect of all that was that I was exhausted, hungry and really struggled all evening to keep out of the kitchen. Our cupboards are empty too so nothing i could make as an evening snack. I did restrain myself (didn’t crack and eat the kids junk) but it was hard. It reminds me the importance of planning and making sure I have enough in. 

now I have done so many whole30, I’m never so fussed about breakfast, like someone said up the thread, it never excites me and I find eggs just so… eggy! I prefer to make an absolutely delicious lunch which I can really enjoy. I also really struggle to eat the pre-post workout snacks, often just allowing myself something in the evening instead if I’ve done a long run that day. We learn what suits us. I never worry that I don’t eat enough, I am completely the opposite and a lot of normal foods become ‘food with no brakes’ for me once I am on this plan because I am a chronic emotional eater. I often omit nuts, nut butter, dried fruit etc entirely during w30 because since going paleo, those things are effectively my ‘chocolate’ so they have to go too. 

Right. I am off to get dressed, going out with my dear friend (also a w30er!) for a longer run today, 12-14km and a good chat to put the world to rights. Then food shopping, covid booster Jab, and meal prep is my plan for the day, and if I can squeeze a little yoga in this evening as well then that will set me up for the week ahead. 

Great to see everyone is making it through week 1 pretty well. My headache finally went away after 6 days and I slept a lot over the past few days. Not really missing the booze, probably because I really overindulged in December and need a break. We had a snowstorm Friday and the weather will be bad again today, so I did my grocery shopping yesterday and today is batch cooking so I have leftovers for the week - trying to keep this W30 simple by just mixing different meat, veggies and a sauce. My husband does not do the W30 but he will eat anything I put in front of him which is easy and then eats his bread or cheese separately, 

Dinner last night was strip steak, sautéed mushrooms and onions and red potatoes. Plenty of veg is leftover. I made a breakfast casserole this morning with white potatoes, sausage, onion, pepper and eggs. At least 3-4 servings left for the week. I’m going to roast a bunch of vegetables (broccoli, sweet potato, cauliflower, pepper). Making just enough pork chops for dinner, but I will grill a package of chicken thighs this afternoon for to have with salad or leftover veg this week. 

My favorite sauce to top chicken with is Sriracha Tahini dressing by Noble Made The New Primal. It’s W30 approved right on the label. They also make a great Buffalo sauce that I’ve had on wings and legs. 

Hope everyone has a good Sunday! 

22 hours ago, Mamatutu said:

The biggest thing I took from my last and only other W30 was the glowing skin and bright eyes. I just LOOKED well at the end of it but I didn't lose any weight.

I'm blogging my eats on my W30 log on another part of this forum (with pictures) but I must say your dinner tonight sounds fabulous. I had garlic and thyme roasted cod with coconut sauce and some potato wedges... posh fish and chips.

I will check out the other threads where you post your menu- I love fish and chips. Suzanne Somers had a book out about 20 years ago where she had a clever way to create a paleo "breading" to make fish and chips. I'll have to dig that up again. I think it might be compliant here as it is okay to use herbs and spices to create a breading.

Last night's dinner was Chicken Stroganoff on leftover celery root/mashed potatoes with a spinach/power green salad, roasted butternut squash, red onion and pecans. Created a whole30 mayo based "creamy balsamic dressing"  Really good.

Last note: You are from Wales! Half my ancestry is from Wales -  it's a bucket list country for me for sure.

Hi Everyone, 

I'm a bit late to the party, but I'm chiming in to say, this is my first Whole30 - I started today! And, to send good energy and lots of strength to everyone doing the Whole30 this month! You got this! 

I meant to start on January 3rd, but got a massive neck muscle spasm on NYE, preventing me from doing any real meal prep for about a week. I was finally able to shop and prep yesterday and hit the ground running today! 

I'm nervous, but mainly excited for this and all the potential Whole30 has. I've been suffering from multiple long-term injuries since 2019. I've tried everything to tackle the pain I've experienced since then - physical therapy, MRIs, orthotics, new shoes, multiple doctors, and the list goes on. I've had so much wonderful help along the way, but nothing has been able to rid me of the persistent pain in my feet and knees, which has prevented me from running (I did cross country in high school and have done 3 half marathons), dancing (I love dancing bachata), and doing all high-impact sports without pain since my first injury in 2019. The one thing I haven't tried is working on my diet. So, my doctor recommended the Whole30. I'm so looking forward to seeing how it might reduce my pain and even get me running again. And help prevent injuries, which I seem so prone (i.e., neck spasm). 

And all that aside, my body is demanding this regardless. It felt so good to eat so many veggies today (I've really been starving my body of them), and I'm glad to have this wake up call to realizing how poorly I was nourishing my body. 

I would love to check in and support everyone else on the thread and in the community as we go! 

Good luck to everyone!!!! Go Whole30 team!!! 

Barbara 

12 hours ago, MaddMac said:

Last note: You are from Wales! Half my ancestry is from Wales -  it's a bucket list country for me for sure.

I'm a fraud I'm afraid, I married a Welshman and he took me home with him :D  I'm from the glorious town of Brighton on the south coast of England, about 250 miles from where I live now.  that said I've lived in Wales for half my life now and even speak a few words of Welsh so I'm 'almost' Welsh lol

First-timer here. I began my "shopping" last Monday made the fish stew from the book that night and started officially Tuesday the 4th. I'm doing well, considering I own a restaurant and have access to French fries all day long! I have all the tools and feel comfortable with menu-planning. My issues are primarily digestive. The elimination so far has been great. I'm struggling to a) know if I'm eating too much or too little b) make/modify meals for me and the family c) no wine - very tough d) (there's a d, lol) curbing the sweet tooth after dinner - going to pick up frozen mango and make some smoothies or "nice cream" hoping that works. I haven't slipped, but its only been a week and although the cravings are less, I still would like some ideas for a small sweet bite that is compliant?? Thanks for this forum. I plan to check-in from time to time to keep myself on track and get other peoples tips and tricks!

On 1/8/2022 at 10:15 AM, MizRik said:

Hey all!! It was fun catching up on your messages this morning. 

I have officially made it to day 6. The sugar dragon surprisingly has not been a problem at all. I even purchased my favorite cookies last night, fresh from the bakery for my kids and wasn't even tempted to eat one. 

One of my biggest struggles when doing whole30 is eating enough. Once I start eating better my appetite literally disappears. Unlike most people who suddenly find themselves craving all the things.... I don't want anything LOL. 

Feeling a bit exhausted today. Can't wait for the tigers blood! 

Rikki 

Yes! I am definitely having no issues saying no! Took my daughter to McDonald's last week for a slushie and chicken nuggets (she was sick and her school called and said she needed to be picked up and she hadn't eaten anything that day so I figured maybe not the mom of the year award but let's get food in that belly) and was not even tempted to order fries for myself. Week one is the easiest to say no, but the little victories!

On 1/8/2022 at 8:40 PM, tiffysquid said:

Sounds like everyone is doing pretty well so far! Nice.

As for my banana dipped in raw cacao/cocoa powder... well, apparently that's not going to stay in the rotation. I've probably had 3-4 of them since making the discovery the other night. Here's from someplace on the whole30 website:

"Cacao (or 100% cocoa) is great when used as a savory spice (our Mocha Steak Rub from It Starts With Food is a great example), but you can also add it to your coffee or tea. However, don’t mix cacao with dates, figs, or other fruits to make chocolate-y confections during your program. That goes against the spirit and intention of the program."

Whoops! Not sure if that was around for my first Whole30. I am usually not a sweets person but I definitely made pudding per se mixing banana and cocoa powder on like day 25. Probably breaks SWYPO or the pancake rule or what not, but it kept me going the last 5 days. I definitely don't regret it (then or now). That Whole30 I really was not dealing with a sugar dragon since I was mostly Paleo minus like overnight oats (unsweetened with fruit, sometimes it would literally be just the milk and I would scramble an egg over it for a savory oat experience) and yogurt (unsweetened with fresh fruits) and rarely ate fruit or dessert. Probably ate more sugar (from fruit) on my first Whole30 than I was before.

My last three Whole30s I definitely have a sugar (or carb) dragon so I would avoid it, but I was eating way more processed foods before. I think I would regret it this round since the facts and circumstances are different this round.

Hi all! I'm late to the party as well, although I did start on the 3rd! This is my 2nd time and I plan on doing one per season every year! 

I did wake up with an intense migraine yesterday, but not assuming it was from this process. And I'm doing pretty good so far I believe. Still dealing with long Covid symptoms may or may not be helping since things smell flat out terrible to me these days. But I've been prepping well, (much better this time than the first time) and I plan mid week, so I can start my grocery list. 

Difficult day for me today. Had my covid booster, felt a bit rubbish and have a really sore arm and a headache tonight. All day at school we’ve been covid testing and I have spent the day phoning parents and chasing covid results- genuinely, covid makes up 75% of my daily work. What would I do without it??!! (Jokes, it’s a nightmare and I can’t wait for it to be over!) 

foods been on track but average. Leftover roast dinner, cold roast pork, fruit, salad. Glad I prepped so much yesterday as it was great to open the fridge and find good w30 staples in there. 

1/3 of the way though now. Day 10&11 are notoriously difficult, so I’m bracing myself for another difficult day tomorrow but hopefully the tiger blood is in sight soon! 

I was doing so well today and then all of sudden felt like I hit a wall at 2PM. Maybe I will go for a quick walk to Starbucks and get a coffee. Need to work a lot of hours this week after taking it easy the end of last week. I could use the air and a boost. Saying no to non compliant stuff thus far has not been too bad. Need to go shopping tonight for easy meals for the week. Definitely need more veggies! Might get lazy and try one of the Whole30 frozen primal meals I bought this weekend sometime this week. I am sure it is not as good as making my own food, but it's Monday and I am just kinda winging it, which is not the best idea for a Whole30

Hi all, late to the thread, but I also started my first Whole30 on January 3rd.

Reasons for joining: trying to get rid of frequent belly cramps, difficult bowel movements (sorry, TMI), itch on back that's sometimes popping up, continued shoulder pain (despite gaining back mobility almost completely after breaking collarbone in November 2020). Oh, and I wouldn't mind losing 2-3 kg either. :-)

Never done a Whole30 before but have been thinking about it for quite some time. Did a 6-week detox with my gym in 2017 which changed my life, before that I was a huge sugar addict. I managed to eat pretty well after that for several years, mostly low-carb, but then Covid hit, I broke my collarbone which left me inactive for 3+ months, and I was tired of cooking different meals for us and the kids (cause they never liked the stuff hubby and I ate), so pasta, bread, croissants and cookies etc sneaked back into my life.

I'm Dutch but I've been living in France for the past 17 years. So no Whole30-approved items here either, although I managed to find sugar-free bacon (but no sausage, snif).

Week one has been pretty good. The most challenging time of the day for me is 4 pm snack time. This is actually the 3rd meal in France, as dinner is often not before 7:30/8 pm. And for me it used to be my favorite meal, with chocolate, fruit and cookies... ;-) So now I try to do something else around that time to distract myself (go for a walk, meditate, clean the house - anything but sitting behind my computer, although yesterday I managed to just continue working and sipping my tea but not eating any snack with it at all, so that was a small victory!)

Sleep was all over the place though, but last night I finally had a good night's sleep, so I hope that'll continue.

22 hours ago, NFMD said:

I still would like some ideas for a small sweet bite that is compliant?? 

I'm snacking on dates after dinner, sometimes I stuff them with a little almond butter. (I know that sugar after dinner is frowned upon, and I should be a good girl and have a cup of herbal tea instead). As the challenge goes on, I'm going to them less and less, and they seem to get sweeter and sweeter. A little berries and cream would be nice too, or some frozen cherries let to defrost a little. 

Hi friends! Today is day 14 and while it hasn't been extremely difficult so far, I'm hitting a point where my willpower is having to take over completely. I'm not having difficulty staying on track, its just that nothing is appetizing anymore. I tried a whole30 recipe I was SOOOO looking forward to, nope kinda weird. Ordered my favourite Tom Kah from a thai place locally (I was happily surprised it was compliant!), it was kinda meh too. Only thing that got me excited, was realizing my favourite dairy free cheese was technically compliant, so I topped my taco bowl last night with that and was a little more satisfied. 

Don't get me wrong, meals are satisfying my hunger, but not my enjoyment of the food. Is that part of the point of the experiment (less reliance on food for enjoyment and more for sustenance?)? Is that a byproduct of not eating the highly flavoured processed foods? To be honest, off plan foods aren't even getting me excited, so at least its easy enough to stay on track. 

Hit me with your favourite recipes that arent too... weird? (and by weird I mean, off plan style meals made to be on plan... if you know what I mean.)

@itskatiegirl11 if you experiment with brands of coconut milk in cans you can find them with a high fat content, store in the back of the fridge and when you open the can you get a thick dollop of coconut cream which is very nice with frozen fruit on . Use the liquid coconut milk for a smoothie or other cooking 

anyone in the uk- the brand In Lidl is almost entirely solid coconut cream in the can! 

bare in mind though that any sweet ‘treats’ /puddings are technically banned, they are under the ‘baked goods’ rules/used to be called SWYPOs and the moderators will tell us off and delete our posts about them if we discuss them in here. MU runs a very tight ship. 

Also fave recipes: chimichurri chicken, all the W30 recipes I’ve tried have been good, there’s a citrus ginger sauce one on fish that was particularly delicious. 

tonight I’m having a pork in paprika with cranberries and Clementines juice. Looks delicious but I’m going to hiit class first and will eat it later

1 hour ago, itskatiegirl11 said:

Hi friends! Today is day 14 and while it hasn't been extremely difficult so far, I'm hitting a point where my willpower is having to take over completely. I'm not having difficulty staying on track, its just that nothing is appetizing anymore. I tried a whole30 recipe I was SOOOO looking forward to, nope kinda weird. Ordered my favourite Tom Kah from a thai place locally (I was happily surprised it was compliant!), it was kinda meh too. Only thing that got me excited, was realizing my favourite dairy free cheese was technically compliant, so I topped my taco bowl last night with that and was a little more satisfied. 

Don't get me wrong, meals are satisfying my hunger, but not my enjoyment of the food. Is that part of the point of the experiment (less reliance on food for enjoyment and more for sustenance?)? Is that a byproduct of not eating the highly flavoured processed foods? To be honest, off plan foods aren't even getting me excited, so at least its easy enough to stay on track. 

Hit me with your favourite recipes that arent too... weird? (and by weird I mean, off plan style meals made to be on plan... if you know what I mean.)

you are probably doing the right thing! If you look at the timeline days 10-11 are the hardest days (you probably are just a little slower in the timeline) for me, they usually start around day 8 (today - oh joy!) or day 9 so I have that to look forward to this week! At least it does not coincide with the weekend I guess. You can do it! Usually this phase only lasts a few days for me (and usually I get another wave towards the end of the 30 days too, like day 20-23)

https://whole30.com/revised-timeline/

I love carnitas (crisped up in a pan! yum!) with guac and a slaw (I use the coleslaw blend a huge handful of chopped cilantro, avocado oil, lots of lime juice, cumin and salt and pepper) so yum! You can make the carnitas in a slow cooker but a lot of premade carnitas are compliant. I think both Trader Joe's and Costco's are, but check your labels.

52 minutes ago, Aliem999 said:

you are probably doing the right thing! If you look at the timeline days 10-11 are the hardest days (you probably are just a little slower in the timeline) for me, they usually start around day 8 (today - oh joy!) or day 9 so I have that to look forward to this week! At least it does not coincide with the weekend I guess. You can do it! Usually this phase only lasts a few days for me (and usually I get another wave towards the end of the 30 days too, like day 20-23)

https://whole30.com/revised-timeline/

I certainly will forge on... its not even difficulty, just lack of appetite or food boredom... but as I said, there are no cravings or want to eat anything non-compliant, so could be worse! (insert arms up questioning emoji here!)

4 hours ago, itskatiegirl11 said:

I certainly will forge on... its not even difficulty, just lack of appetite or food boredom... but as I said, there are no cravings or want to eat anything non-compliant, so could be worse! (insert arms up questioning emoji here!)

That is rough! Definitely have gone through that before. I love eggs (and gave them up for almost a year for my son's allergies) so right now I am loving eating my runny eggs right now. In previous Whole30s though I definitely got bored and nothing sounded good. When this happened I would go out to eat. Something about someone else making something for me definitely helped. If you are in the US, chipotle is easy since it is Whole30 approved for certain items. I like In N Out for burgers (just no fries! boo!). You can also make it work at a lot of other restaurants, just trying to give you some easier/bigger chains. I also like Whole Foods hot bar/salad bar. If you plan your meal smartly, it is a good deal. My dinner last night was under $7. Just load up on lighter items since it is by the pound.

Just wrapping up day 9 over here and doing pretty good. My boyfriend ordered enough food to feed five people from a local Brazilian restaurant and ate that while I ate my compliant steak and veggies for dinner.  His food smelled AMAZING but I wasn’t sure how it was prepared and there were a lot of breaded and deep fried things involved so I just steered clear. 

My only current issue…..My right leg is ACHY!!! My hip, my pelvis and all down into my thigh. Just the right side. I have not done anything that would have injured it so I have no idea what it’s about. It could be related to my multiple sclerosis but it’s new so something I need to watch for sure. I would think it was detoxing or electrolyte loss if it wasn’t just my right leg. Weird. 

As for meal preparation I have been experimenting with a Sous Vide Immersion cooker that I got. The meats have turned  out amazing!! If you don’t have one check them out. It has been super easy to use! 

Hoping I can check in a bit more these week. Last week was crazy at the hospital and this week im off, so I should have a little more free time. 

Hi! How is everyone doing? 

Just finished Day 3 here, and struggled with some nausea this morning, but eating some sweet potato (per the forum!) helped. I think not eating enough might also be causing nausea, maybe going too long between lunch and dinner. Usually I eat breakfast around 8:30 am and then lunch at 12 or 1 pm. But then, don't eat dinner till 7 pm. So, I get super hungry before dinner. And then start to fill up really quickly. Going to try to move up my dinner time. 

It's weird, I'm not having many cravings, but not really looking forward to my Whole30 meals, same as @itskatiegirl11 I think my body is still adjusting to eating this much meat and so many savory dishes. Anyway, I know it's only the beginning. Hoping I will find the food more appealing as I go. 

Sending lots of strength to everyone! 

Archived