Let's Support Each Other — doing a January Whole30

tiffysquid

21 hours ago, itskatiegirl11 said:

Hit me with your favourite recipes that arent too... weird? (and by weird I mean, off plan style meals made to be on plan... if you know what I mean.)

Paleo Running Momma has a lot of good ones that I've made over the past week and a half. Not too time consuming and the non Whole30 husband is loving them. I am still struggling with taste and smell, but if he says they're good, (even with vegetables in them?) then they must be! :)

https://www.paleorunningmomma.com/paleo-burger-bowls-with-fries-whole30/ (probably his favorite so far and to cut time, I prepped the ground meet and potatoes on a Sunday, then did the meal on Tuesday.)

https://oursaltykitchen.com/steak-fajita-salad/ (his second favorite)

https://unboundwellness.com/hamburger-steak-paleo/ (we made with venison, but also loved by him. Served with potatoes)

Hope that helps! 

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/9/2022 at 12:56 PM, MaddMac said:

I will check out the other threads where you post your menu- I love fish and chips. Suzanne Somers had a book out about 20 years ago where she had a clever way to create a paleo "breading" to make fish and chips. I'll have to dig that up again. I think it might be compliant here as it is okay to use herbs and spices to create a breading.

from what i'm reading in the Whole30 books, breading is strictly non-compliant, non-Whole30. but a good thing to do if you end up going "Whole30ish" after your W30 + reintroduction phase.

On 1/10/2022 at 1:32 PM, Rebecca001 said:

Difficult day for me today. Had my covid booster, felt a bit rubbish and have a really sore arm and a headache tonight.

I hear you, Rebecca! I got my Covid booster (Moderna) the other day. I don't feel awful by any means, just a bit blah, and the achy shoulder. Finding that the more I mobilize and stretch the shoulder, the better it gets. A big long hot bath last night helped loads, too (lolling around in the bath watching old episodes of Jeeves & Wooster on DVD -- far more amusing than eating ice cream or something!).

I am eating a lot more meat and protein than usual. My body just loves this. Within days, I somehow feel better. I lose puffiness in my face, my pants fit better. I don't know if it's *because* the fats and proteins and animal-food are so desired by my body, or because my body's delighted *not* to be dealing with a bunch of sugar and processed carbs and legumes. In any case, it's sure nice.

Cooking-wise, my favorite W30 thing to do: at night before bed, put a couple sweet potatoes or yams in the digital oven, and set a timer. Wake up to wonderful smells in the house, and something warm and yummy and compliant to eat.

2 hours ago, tiffysquid said:

I lose puffiness in my face, my pants fit better.

Me too!  I’m on day 10 and my headache is back. And I’m sooooo tired. Just need to get through the next few days to get to tiger blood on the other side!  I’ve never had a headache this bad with previous W30s.

I don’t eat much fruit, sometimes in the summer. My sugar detox is from wine and gluten-free snacks. If I’m craving something sweet, I’ll have olives, leftover sweet potatoes or celery with a little fresh almond butter. Trying not to snack on too many nuts this time around so trying the olives as I can’t eat as many, 

1/3 of the way over.  Time for bed! Dreaming of tiger blood LOL

1 hour ago, christine19 said:

1/3 of the way over.  Time for bed! Dreaming of tiger blood LOL

Im already dreaming of cheating with sugar cookies!! That’s not supposed to happen until later!! :blink:

It was one of those dream where you wake up relieved that you are actually still on track and it was just a dream. 

I definitely know I need to do some prep this weekend. I have been doing this week on the fly! Been able to pretty much stick to template but tomorrow I am definitely going to get creative! I think I figured out breakfast and lunch. Tomorrow's dinner will probably be very different for me vs. the kids. I do have a primal frozen meal I can pull out if needed. Kids smashed the chicken I made today and my daughter even asked for it to be packed in her lunch tomorrow. I do have another pack of thighs so I suppose I can easily make more for Friday. Just need to figure out the veggie situation. Definitely running low. Might just buy hamburgers for dinner on Friday and not stress.

15 hours ago, CalllieK said:

Paleo Running Momma has a lot of good ones that I've made over the past week and a half. Not too time consuming and the non Whole30 husband is loving them. I am still struggling with taste and smell, but if he says they're good, (even with vegetables in them?) then they must be! :)

https://www.paleorunningmomma.com/paleo-burger-bowls-with-fries-whole30/ (probably his favorite so far and to cut time, I prepped the ground meet and potatoes on a Sunday, then did the meal on Tuesday.)

https://oursaltykitchen.com/steak-fajita-salad/ (his second favorite)

https://unboundwellness.com/hamburger-steak-paleo/ (we made with venison, but also loved by him. Served with potatoes)

Hope that helps! 

I just made the chicken stroganoff from this site last Saturday - a little time consuming with the prep (aren't they all!) but really satisfying.

6 hours ago, tiffysquid said:

from what i'm reading in the Whole30 books, breading is strictly non-compliant, non-Whole30. but a good thing to do if you end up going "Whole30ish" after your W30 + reintroduction phase.

Hi Tiffysquid, thanks for the feedback. My use of the term "breading" is confusing, admittedly.  I was really referring to a "coating" for fish, poultry that can be used when baking or sautéing. Under the Whole30 rules, using almond, cassava, coconut flours etc are compliant within the context of cooking a protein - but not for the purpose of recreating "baked goods or treats".

I just used the term "breading" as a catch-all for any whole30 compliant coating.  You can refer to the Whole30 program rules somewhere on this site for more on this.

The Suzanne Somers "breading" for fish is simply a mixture of dried herbs - no bread or grain use. I would consider coating fish in dried herbs and sauteeing compliant in W30.

5 hours ago, MaddMac said:

The Suzanne Somers "breading" for fish is simply a mixture of dried herbs - no bread or grain use. I would consider coating fish in dried herbs and sauteeing compliant in W30.

That's what I did with my cod, it had a crust of ground garlic cloves, fresh thyme and salt.  I drizzled it in olive oil then baked it in foil.  To be honest it was even better the next day as left overs as the garlic had really worked it's magic overnight.

1 hour ago, ched235 said:

It looks like everyone on this thread is doing OK. Best of luck to all.

Started 10/12 and crashed on 23rd day.

Restarted on 1/2, 11 days in the books.

Whoo! It happens to the best of us. You can do it this time. I think a lot of people don't make it through their first time.

Well it’s day 13 here and I feel good, considering my boy has covid, I’m working from home, I’m missing some really important things at work and have had to leave them in incompetent hands and…. I feel chill. Serene. Ran after I finished working and definitely felt the tiger starting to purr. 

food prep is one of my ultimate favourite things about this plan. Is my Sunday ‘me time’, while cooking the family roast I make all my things for the week. Usually it’s my mayo, a meat thing (eg koftas, fish cakes or chicken) for lunches, a veg thing (this week it was roasted tomatoes with garlic and basil) and prep a meal for Monday nights as well. Chop some carrot sticks and make a dip. It really helps me to streamline my menu as I then have the same thing for lunch until weds/thurs. I often pack them up in tubs as well so I can literally add a handful of fresh leaves and take to work. 

I am on day 11. for the most part, i haven't really had too hard of a time but I am feeling a little blue which is said to be normal for this period in the 30. I have been working out everyday to keep my head on straight. wish my pants felt looser but what ya gonna do. 

32 minutes ago, Loop said:

I am on day 11. for the most part, i haven't really had too hard of a time but I am feeling a little blue which is said to be normal for this period in the 30. I have been working out everyday to keep my head on straight. wish my pants felt looser but what ya gonna do. 

For me I got bloated for a day or two (also coincided with my TOM so it was probably even more exaggerated) and then on day 9? I think, it looked like I lost 5 pounds overnight. Seriously the morning before I was like wow, the holidays were rough on my tummy and the day the bloat went away I was like wtf. Last few days I have fit into dresses I haven't worn in month!

16 hours ago, Aliem999 said:

I definitely know I need to do some prep this weekend. I have been doing this week on the fly! Been able to pretty much stick to template but tomorrow I am definitely going to get creative!

I’m with you on the need to meal prep. I am the worst about just doing Whole30  on the fly and when I do that I am not amazing at sticking to the template. My food intake is always compliant, just not always in the plate template they suggest. I hope to plan out some meals for the next week tonight and get to the store tomorrow. 

I for sure plan on making the BLT salad I shared with you guys yesterday and maybe a Zuppa Tuscano soup as well. 

I know smoothies are not encouraged, but when I still havent made it to the store…. It was my go to for breakfast today. Fruit (strawberries and banana) veggies (a handful of kale and spinach) healthy fat (almond butter) and protein (collagen powder) all blended into a thick smoothie. Now to get to the store!! 

Breakfast is the hardest for me. What are your favorite NO EGG breakfasts?? 

20 minutes ago, MizRik said:

I know smoothies are not encouraged, but when I still havent made it to the store…. It was my go to for breakfast today. Fruit (strawberries and banana) veggies (a handful of kale and spinach) healthy fat (almond butter) and protein (collagen powder) all blended into a thick smoothie. Now to get to the store!! 

Sausage, hash browns, fruit with coconut, veggie hash, dinner leftovers

Veggie hash is my favorite to prep ahead. I usually take a container of Trader Joe's prepped veggies, any leftover veggies from the week before and ground chicken pork, etc and season it with typical breakfast sausage spices like sage, garlic, etc. I just dump the spices over everything so it takes almost no time to prep. Really you can season it with anything but it feels more "breakfasty" with breakfast sausage spices. Just scoop it up in the morning. heat it up. dump some guac, avocado on it or add a side of fruit with coconut and you have a compliant meal. I have also done it with precooked sausage and other proteins.

I’m feeling a lot better. My headache has tapered off, and my stomach pains are gone. I think I ate too much roasted cauliflower too many days in a row. I’m out of food, ended up eating olives, nuts and bone broth for lunch and had roast chicken and broccoli for dinner. I thought about looking up some recipes in the “Well Fed” cookbooks, but I’m not sure what I’m in the mood for. Food boredom is starting to set in and it’s so cold I’m having a hard time eating salads. Grocery shopping on Saturday, so maybe I’ll get some inspiration! Here’s to another dry weekend - missing the wine for sure! 

8 hours ago, MizRik said:

My husband doesn't like eating eggs everyday (he's doing W30 as well) so I found this recipe called "Butternut Breakfast Meatballs" available here:  https://realsimplegood.com/butternut-breakfast-meatballs/.

My husband likes them and they are a fairly easy make ahead thing. 

Slept so well last night finally and feeling the most energetic yet, I jumped out of bed and went grocery shopping and totally forgot about looking up any recipes! Oh well, there are still a lot of supply chain issues and high prices, so I just buy what’s on sale and figure it out later. Got chicken thighs, beef burgers and compliant sausage and some veggies. We use leftover meat to add to soup especially during the week - my husband will add to bean soup and I make a quick soup with chicken broth, cauliflower rice and chicken since I can’t eat any soup in a can or box. I’m making my favorite tahini dipping sauce and it can be a salad dressing too, if you thin it out. I got cucumbers and baby carrots for dipping! It’s sooo good! 

https://www.wholesomeyum.com/tahini-sauce-recipe/

Archived