Let's Support Each Other — doing a January Whole30

tiffysquid

@MaddMac  We did fish tonight, too. I layered up rockfish with green cabbage leaves, blanched carrots, ginger, lemongrass, lime leaf, chili flakes, and probably other stuff I'm forgetting... steamed it. Usually I do a mirin-soy-sauce recipe, oh and kombu as well (wish I had remembered kombu!!) but can't have that stuff on Whole30. Oh yeah - also basil from the freezer. We got tons of it free from a local farm at the end of the summer. And tomato slices on top. Everything steamed together, then scallions on top of that.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Roelien

What a bummer about your injury! Aiiyyee. Hope you heal nicely and have access to good foods.

The XX book I mentioned was published March 10, 2020. Of course, I doubt the research shows whether people were eating conventionally raised meat and dairy products (for saturated fats) versus grassfed, pastured, and/or organic.

Still -- it is scary. During my 2-3 years of mostly paleo, Whole30-ish eating, my cholesterol levels stayed bad and actually got a little bit worse. I also developed gout a couple times, which was horribly painful. So I know this stuff isn't all roses and sunshine!

But other than the gout, I felt *so* much better than when eating a normal diet.

12 hours ago, tiffysquid said:

@MaddMac  We did fish tonight, too. I layered up rockfish with green cabbage leaves, blanched carrots, ginger, lemongrass, lime leaf, chili flakes, and probably other stuff I'm forgetting... steamed it. Usually I do a mirin-soy-sauce recipe, oh and kombu as well (wish I had remembered kombu!!) but can't have that stuff on Whole30. Oh yeah - also basil from the freezer. We got tons of it free from a local farm at the end of the summer. And tomato slices on top. Everything steamed together, then scallions on top of that.

How did you freeze your basil? Never had a lot of luck freezing herbs not mixed in oil. I even tried a quick blanch like a blog suggested once and it was a no go (and a ton of work)

11 hours ago, Aliem999 said:

How did you freeze your basil? Never had a lot of luck freezing herbs not mixed in oil. I even tried a quick blanch like a blog suggested once and it was a no go (and a ton of work)

well, i think i smooshed it up in our mini-Cuisinart chopper thing, then mixed with olive oil. some i made into proper pestos.

for freezing, some i put in ice cube trays. others i put into little sauce containers from takeout food (i try to reuse everything). seems to have worked pretty well!

Hope everyone is doing well! I think most of us are within a week of finishing! Any NSVs?

I feel lots of energy and definitely have lost weight. Fitting in dresses that I have not fit in for a long time! Eating so many veggies and my nails already feel stronger!

6 minutes ago, Aliem999 said:

Hope everyone is doing well! I think most of us are within a week of finishing! Any NSVs?

I feel lots of energy and definitely have lost weight. Fitting in dresses that I have not fit in for a long time! Eating so many veggies and my nails already feel stronger!

CONGRATS on the dresses!!! That’s awesome!!!

Obnoxiously I’m feeling extra bloated today. I can’t figure out why? My period isn’t for another week or a little longer. Didn’t add anything new to my diet?? Soooo who knows. 

Sadly I broke the scale rule yesterday. I joined an 8 week fitness challenge at my gym and I had to weigh in on their equipment. It was an electronic scale that I had to enter a bunch of info into so I couldn’t avoid looking at the numbers. I am down 10lbs though sooo YAY!!! 

1 hour ago, MizRik said:

CONGRATS on the dresses!!! That’s awesome!!!

Obnoxiously I’m feeling extra bloated today. I can’t figure out why? My period isn’t for another week or a little longer. Didn’t add anything new to my diet?? Soooo who knows. 

Sadly I broke the scale rule yesterday. I joined an 8 week fitness challenge at my gym and I had to weigh in on their equipment. It was an electronic scale that I had to enter a bunch of info into so I couldn’t avoid looking at the numbers. I am down 10lbs though sooo YAY!!! 

WHOOOOO!!!!

I am sure I am down at least 10 pounds too, but likely at least 5 are holiday bloat and the day before I had brunch (bottomless mimosas) and fast food....Those pounds hardly count since I probably would have dropped those within a week or so as long as I ate reasonably that week. haha

7 hours ago, Aliem999 said:

what is an NSV?

i have lost a bit of weight. my mood is cranky AF, pretty much Ms Crankypants from pre-ovulation all the way through to what is now PMS. but i do have this feeling of like, that there's a layer of puffiness that has disappeared. i am having allergy symptoms but imagine it would be much worse if i weren't on a W30 (snow mold allergy).

44 minutes ago, tiffysquid said:

what is an NSV?

i have lost a bit of weight. my mood is cranky AF, pretty much Ms Crankypants from pre-ovulation all the way through to what is now PMS. but i do have this feeling of like, that there's a layer of puffiness that has disappeared. i am having allergy symptoms but imagine it would be much worse if i weren't on a W30 (snow mold allergy).

NSV is a non scale victory. So some result that isn't tied to a number on the scale.

Yay! At least that is something!

I have really really struggled This last week. I just totally list my mojo. My food has been awful. It’s very unlike me, but I have had several times where I’ve just eaten everything in sight. I don’t feel like I really did w30 this time round.

So I’m restarting. It’s annoying that my month off alcohol couldn’t coincide with my month of healthy food so although earlier in the month I felt good I am ending the month really feeling deflated and not feeling good at all. 

I love the whole food lifestyle though and when I get on it, I feel so much better, literally within days, so that’s my plan. I’m going to take the w30 food plus no drinking but I think I need to track my calories and be more mindful of that so I’ve ordered some paleo recipe books online and I will sit tonight and plan my week ahead. 

1 hour ago, Rebecca001 said:

I have really really struggled This last week. I just totally list my mojo. My food has been awful. It’s very unlike me, but I have had several times where I’ve just eaten everything in sight. I don’t feel like I really did w30 this time round.

So I’m restarting. It’s annoying that my month off alcohol couldn’t coincide with my month of healthy food so although earlier in the month I felt good I am ending the month really feeling deflated and not feeling good at all. 

I love the whole food lifestyle though and when I get on it, I feel so much better, literally within days, so that’s my plan. I’m going to take the w30 food plus no drinking but I think I need to track my calories and be more mindful of that so I’ve ordered some paleo recipe books online and I will sit tonight and plan my week ahead. 

Oh no! If you stayed compliant, just ate out of control, maybe just add some time on to the end and do a Whole45, 60, whatever. That way it does not feel like you are starting over and probably will feel more empowering. You still ate better and that is a victory!

I’m counting the days until I can have a glass of wine! Luckily, I just received my order of the Whole30 approved Humm Kombucha! It’s delicious and feels like I’m drinking hard seltzer. I’m feeling pretty good, I’ve been very busy at work but feel more energetic and getting up easier at 4:30am. Not as exhausted after a long commute. I did better this W30 with less nuts overall, but the past week I’ve been eating a lot of nuts and ignoring portuon control.  The one thing I have not done all month is exercise - at all. No weights or my cardio boxing videos. I really haven’t had any cravings - just missing the weekend booze. And now we are getting more snow! 

4 hours ago, Rebecca001 said:

Give yourself  some grace @Rebecca001 we are still in the middle of a pandemic and doing the best we can! Winter is always tough with the colder and darker days. 

@Rebecca001, my Whole30 has been similar -- i just haven't been paying much attention to portions and timing of meals. it doesn't feel great to do it this way, but it's basically a lot better than nothing, and i'm not eating anything off-plan.

i plan to extend this into a Whole45 or Whole60, and try to reduce portions and change timing. I agree with @christine19 -- this is a messed-up time in history and society to be harshing on ourselves. it is a good time to take things with a little ease and self-forgiveness.

Hi All, hope everyone is doing okay! Exciting to hear about all the NSVs - that's awesome! Congrats to everyone! 

I've just started Day 21. I felt really good the first week, then I got my period which kind of took me out, and now, for the last week, I've been having headaches every day and am really tired at night. And I find I'm still getting hungry between meals. I'm trying to eat as much as I can, and to eat potatoes for carbs and fat at every meal, but it sometimes still doesn't feel like enough. I already spend 30 mins eating my meal each time (way more than I used to before Whole30, lol!), so I feel like it's enough food. I also don't have more than 30 mins to spend on meals. But maybe I need to add more?

Does anyone have any advice? I know the headaches and tiredness might also be work stress and sitting in front of a computer all day. But I want to know if I'm missing anything. Here's what I ate yesterday: 

• Breakfast: sausage, potato, kale, onion with avocado and 1/2 apple and some oil on top 
  • Lunch: Brussel sprout slaw with shrimp, avocado, other veggies, and 1/2 apple 
  • Dinner: salad from Sweet Green - mixed two salads together to have a mixed green salad with tomatoes, avocado, chicken, mixed greens, and kale with oil dressing and a side of sweet potatoes

I think what's really going on is I feel so tied to my meals now. I notice that once I start to eat, my headache will go away and I'll feel more energized. But, in between, those symptoms come back. On the plus side, this is making me see how important fueling my body really is!!! 

Maybe I just need more sleep ... 

Here are some of the victories I've had: feeling more energized when I wake up and at work, more focused during the work day, feeling lighter/like I've lost some weight, allergies less strong, enjoying cooking and feeling very confident making all these healthy meals for myself! 

Thank you so much, everyone! Sending strength to all! 

P.S. sorry if this has already been asked in the forum! 

@Barbara M I see a lot of greens and raw veggies. For me, those tend to be super bulky and it's way harder to eat 5 cups of raw spinach than one cup of cooked spinach (and that's probably the same amount of spinach.) You could also try some bulkier veggies like carrots (cooked are super yummy), broccoli, cauliflower. Also, how much avocado are you eating? At least half? Shrimp is super lean. You could probably eat like 10 of them (small - medium size) to get the calories you need (I know we don't count calories, but it takes a lot of shrimp to equate to 4-6 oz of chicken in terms of sustenance). If you do a quick google search 100g (3.5oz so not even a full serving) of chicken breast is about 180 calories with 9 grams of fat and shrimp is about 99 calories with zero grams of fat. Super good for you, but not super filling. Note: Once again. Not saying count calories. Just trying to give an example on why a palm sized portion of shrimp will probably not keep you full.

Not sure what portions you are eating besides your half of an apple.

Also, do you work out? A mini meal after might be good.

Those are some great NSV!!!!!

23 hours ago, christine19 said:

I’m counting the days until I can have a glass of wine! Luckily, I just received my order of the Whole30 approved Humm Kombucha! It’s delicious and feels like I’m drinking hard seltzer. I’m feeling pretty good, I’ve been very busy at work but feel more energetic and getting up easier at 4:30am. Not as exhausted after a long commute. I did better this W30 with less nuts overall, but the past week I’ve been eating a lot of nuts and ignoring portuon control.  The one thing I have not done all month is exercise - at all. No weights or my cardio boxing videos. I really haven’t had any cravings - just missing the weekend booze. And now we are getting more snow! 

Give yourself  some grace @Rebecca001 we are still in the middle of a pandemic and doing the best we can! Winter is always tough with the colder and darker days. 

I'm the same! In fact, don't really care about re-introducing bread...even cheese! It's a glass (or two) of wine. My husband and I have already planned our first meal intro - reintroducing wine - making a grain-free, cheeseless pizza, salad and a really good glass of red wine.

On 1/27/2022 at 10:36 AM, Aliem999 said:

I have not weighed myself but I know I have dropped a size. Where I couldn't wear my size 28 jeans very well before...they are actually baggy on me.

26 minutes ago, Aliem999 said:

Last few days! Hopefully everyone is hanging in there! Is anyone extending the program longer than 30 days?

I’m not extending because I want ice cream!! It is the only thing I have felt deprived of :lol: So Wednesday, day 31 for me, I’m getting a vanilla icecream from somewhere! I will keep it plain vanilla to test out the dairy. Won’t include any toppings or other mixings  

Other than that though, I don’t really have a desire to add anything back in for a while. I will most likely stay away from everything else, mostly grains and still super limited dairy in the way of an occasional ice cream, but I will be sure to do a proper reintro when I do add something else back in. 

@MizRik I totally get it. I am for sure adding two days because I had half a grain of accidental rice day two. Also it is Wednesday and Thursday so not a big deal. Ideally, I want to add another week or two on since I am clearly losing weight and that was one of my goals (first being to get back in the habit of cooking, eating veggies, etc which for the last few months I was completely off the wagon.) Friday/the weekend will be tougher to stay on track. I do hope to go until Super Bowl Sunday and then splurge with some fries (compliant ingredients, but not compliant in general) and a gin and soda.

Hey everyone - less than 34 hours to the end! No shame in admitting my first intro is going to be a glass of very good wine.  After that, haven't really been missing bread or dairy.  I'm a little afraid to add grain, especially wheat since I think it just saps the energy out of me.  I notice my energy levels are pretty even throughout the day, and ready to go to sleep at an appropriate time at night. I don't want to mess with that!  Enjoy the last few hours, this phase of W30 will be over before you know it!

It will be a Whole 33 for me since I want a drink on Friday night :D and Saturday I have a small family gathering. But I will try not to introduce any gluten free snacks, grains or added sugar for as long as possible. I’m missing my almond flour crackers, they are grain free  but I eat them like potato chips!  Just placed an order for some more compliant dressings, sauces and ketchup (Primal Kitchen brand). Feeling slimmer and really need to keep that going. I shoveled snow yesterday for a few hours so I made up for not exercising all month!  Cheers to us - we made it! :wub:

10 hours ago, Aliem999 said:

Last few days! Hopefully everyone is hanging in there! Is anyone extending the program longer than 30 days?

I almost blew it today -- I wanted a chocolate bar, and was wandering around in our small town, feeling hungry (or was it just PMS?). But I thought, jeeeeez, I only have to make it to February 3.

On the fence about whether to extend the Whole30. I might make it a Whole45 or Whole60. Or I might cheat a tiny bit here and there, go back to "Whole30-ish mostly-paleo" eating, which I did for a few years. I ended up getting gout, and I do have high cholesterol -- but in every other way I felt much better (I have chronic illness issues).

So yeah. I don't know what I'm doing! Argh. Mainly PMS'ing, is what I'm doing.

Archived