Let's Try this again! Blogging from the UK.

Mamatutu

2nd W30 for me.  Wildly successful 66 days completed a rather long time ago now and I'm definitely ready to do it again.

Day one for me also was my first day back at work after the Christmas Holidays so everything felt a bit weird after 10 days in pjs eating chocolate and watching TV and very little else.  I'm currently working from home until Boris/Mark Drakeford decide I am able to go back to my lovely office with my equally lovely colleagues.  The hazard here is that I am working from the kitchen table so at the epicentre of food in my home and let me tell you that before Christmas this was a very, very bad idea.  However, the husband has been instructed to polish off any remaining naughtiness and was sent to work with a lovely fat slice of chocolate orange cake which hopefully will not return.  All that being said, after 2.5 hours of food prep yesterday I had no reason to go off piste on my first day, so breakfast and lunch took minutes to whip up.  As I write this I have some potatoes roasting in the oven to go with my dinner.  I managed not to snack at all today which is in itself a small miracle.

Breakfast - Salmon, scrambled eggs (coconut oil to cook), homemade tomato salsa (tomatoes, red bell pepper, red onion, garlic, red chilli and onion salt) and a dry slaw mix (red cabbage, white cabbage, carrot, onion, celery, apple, walnuts).  Glass of water with ACV for digestive aid and a cup of liquorice and peppermint tea.

Lunch - Smoked mackerel fillet on lettuce boats with home made mayo and the slaw mix with added mayo,  a little more salsa.  Lemon and ginger tea with fresh lemon slice.

Dinner - Tomato juice with Tabasco (while cooking).  Left over pot roast beef, roast potatoes and green beans. Gravy left over from the pot roast is W30 compliant as I made it myself using home made stock and vegetables, thickened with arrowroot. There were 2 more cups of lemon and ginger tea this afternoon and I will probably have a glass of sparkling water this evening.

Excited to be doing this with someone! Hopefully we both succeed! How long do you plan on going this time? I plan on a full 30 days but might go another few weeks. I have plans middle of March so I want to be fully in food freedom by then. Accidentally had one grain of rice from my son's plate that got stuck on my finger when putting it away so I will probably add an extra 2 days (though in my previous reintroduction I have had no issues with rice and it was one grain that I half spit out of my mouth when I realized my blunder, so I could go either way)

Hi Alie, I read your posts earlier.  I hope your son didn't have long term issues from his fish allergy reaction? This forum seems very quiet right now, I thought there would be loads of people blogging their January W30.  

I'm aiming to keep going for as long as I can really.  I have years of bad habits and poor choices to make up for so being strict and yet kind to myself is no matter of concern right now.  I've nothing in the diary except one evening out in early February but even that won't be an all out excuse to go off plan.  I'd like to try for 90 but I'll take it 30 at a time.

I was a little surprised too! Last time I did one a couple of years ago there were a bunch of people doing them and it was not even January! My March item is a girls trip to wine country...I definitely can budget around some restaurants and stuff like that, but a trip to wine country seems silly to plan on doing a Whole30 during that time.

He should not have long term issues beyond being worried he is going to eat something else he can't eat. Still hoping he grows out of it!

Day 2 has been another success as far as I'm concerned.  Having prepped my food certainly helps and having a food plan helps even more because there's no standing in front of the fridge dithering.  

Breakfast- bacon, tomatoes and mushroom fried in avocado oil, fried egg on top with some hot sauce.

Lunch- homemade liver pate, cucumber,kiwi and apple.

Snack- Almond macaroon Nakd bar

Dinner- homemade cottage pie with green veg.

Hello Day 3.  Woke up feeling very perky today, no headache or crankiness at all.  Wondering when my Christmas carb overload will come back to bite me?

Breakfast- liver pate with cucumber,  kiwi  and blueberries.

Lunch- homemade burger patties with Almond butter in mushroom buns with ranch salad and guacamole.

Dinner - pork shoulder with pineapple salsa and tomatoes.

Pleased I didn't snack today.  I ate more for lunch (possibly a little too much) so I was still full by the time I was cooking dinner.

Screenshot_20220106-183431_Ate.jpg

Day 4.  Well nothing unusual to report so that's good.  Had an incredibly busy day in work so food hasn't been on my mind at all.  I think I must be getting the balance of my meals right as I'm arriving at my next meal not exactly hungry but ready to eat.  No headaches, no aches and pains, not overly tired but not hit tiger blood just yet. Feel better in terms of my digestion.  I have been diagnosed with IBS and I already feel lighter in my belly and have noticeably less gas than usual.

Breakfast - smoked salmon with scrambled eggs and guacamole. A banana.

Lunch - left over cottage pie

Dinner - hamburger hash with the last of the guacamole as its gone ugly brown now haha and some pineapple salsa.

Screenshot_20220107-183326_Ate.jpg

Here we are at day 5 and all is still well.  The husband was home today and that can sometimes derail my good intentions but he sorted his own food out and left me to mine.  I know I didn't drink enough today though so must do better with that tomorrow.  Did a food shop for the next week then did a bit of food prep by roasting chicken thighs then making stock with the bones.  The stock then went in the slow cooker with a pork shoulder so that will be pulled pork by the morning.  That should keep us going for a good few days.  I also made a batch of mayo then chucked an avocado in for good measure so I'll just have avomayo this week.  Tomorrow I'm making scotch eggs and doing the veggies prep (salsa is a must and might roast some peppers for something different)

Breakfast- left over burger hash with pineapple salsa 

Lunch - chicken thigh with coleslaw

Dinner - garlic roasted cod with coconut sauce, potato wedges and leaf salad.

Screenshot_20220108-212008_Ate.jpg

Day 6 and still just feel ok, not tired, not headachy  just OK.  I am really enjoying eating good nourishing food again, I think I existed on crisps, biscuits and chocolate (or chips, cookies and chocolate lol)  in December.  I've done my meal prep for the week so I'm confident that I'll make good choices.  My pulled pork cooked overnight in the slow cooker and was fantastic.  Just as well as that's going to feed us for a few days now.

Breakfast - bacon, mushroom and potato hash with a fried egg.

Lunch - pork with pineapple salsa and coleslaw.

Dinner - same as lunch with blueberries and grapes to follow.

Screenshot_20220109-183506_Ate.jpg

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is day 7 done. One whole week and it's honestly been a delight, I've felt fine, not particularly headachy, not particularly tired and not very grumpy at all.  I'm just loving eating 'properly' again even though it's not a million miles from how I eat usually.  The only difference today is that I think I might have had a glass of wine this evening but I'm having sparkling water instead. Wins for the week for me are 1) choosing to use a side plate for all my meals and keep my portion sizes down and 2) a very surprising lack of desire to graze and snack.  I say no snacking but today I am afflicted by hormonal hunger so I was a bit ferocious on the almonds and fruit mid afternoon but I'm confident that will pass by tomorrow.

Meal 1- chicken broth with chicken meat, carrots and spring onions.  An orange and a Nkd bar.

Meal 2 - almonds, cashews, satsuma and a banana.  Not so much a meal as a hormonal feeding frenzy.

Meal 3 - roasted carrot, potato, Bell pepper, onion, squash and tomato with a lamb steak

Screenshot_20220110-185008_Ate.jpg

Adding some fat may help. Don't see a ton of it in your diary. You are supposed to have something other than your cooking fat. It definitely works for me (most days....those days leading up to my TOM can be challenging...aka hormones haha)

Keep it up though! Glad you are feeling better eating nourishing foods!

Day 8.  The hormonal hunger has passed as I thought it would, typically I'm 50 years old and really beginning to understand my body signals just as I'm going in to menopause!!!  I only had 2 meals today as I really feasted on meal 1 and still felt stuffed when I was cooking meal 2.

Meal 1 - leftover roasted veg with fried eggs and a big dollop of avomayo. Banana.

Meal 2 - pork stir fry with cashews and sesame seeds

Screenshot_20220111-192514_Ate.jpg

Day 9 wow nearly a third of the way done!  Feeling hormonal today, cramps, headache and generally tired and cranky.  I wasn't craving sugary stuff like I usually do though so that's good.  I made Scotch eggs today and man they taste good.  That's breakfast sorted for the next three days, and they are enormous so will keep me fuelled.  Need to make more mayo tomorrow and I went to town on the last of the avomayo today.  I added some Frank's to it and it was goooooood!!!!!!

Breakfast- cod and egg scramble with avomayo coleslaw

Lunch - scotch egg with hot n spicy avomayo

Dinner - Red Bell pepper stuffed with tomato, shallot and bacon with sweet potato wedges drizzled in olive oil.

Day 10. One third of the way to my 30 but I already know I will continue beyond 30 so who knows how far along the path I am?  I ate a lot of my favourite things today so I'm feeling suitably satiated.

Breakfast - scotch egg, tomato and a big dollop of my fresh batch of avomayo... nom nom nom.

3pm - almonds, cashews, walnuts and some coconut

Dinner - Thai red curry with prawns and courgetti 

Screenshot_20220113-184530_Ate.jpg

Day 11.   Not much to say really, work was quiet and a bit boring but it didn't lead me to snack which was good.  No prepped veggie sides left and I was lazy so I know I didn't have nearly enough veg today.  Hey ho it's the weekend and I can spend time  prepping tomorrow.

Breakfast - salmon fishcakes with avomayo

Lunch - repeat breakfast because they were so yummy

Dinner - lamb stew

Screenshot_20220114-191448_Ate.jpg

Still here, still on plan and still happy. Day 15 today so over the half way hump.  Had a yearning to jump on the scales yesterday as my jeans felt loose! I didn't, all is well dear reader but I'm contemplating trying on a smaller size tomorrow.  I feel great, can't say tiger blood us upon me yet but I bounced out of bed this morning full of beans. Oh yes, sleeping sooooooooo well, a good solid 8 hours a night and waking up feeling great.  Last W30 I had issues with my bowels all through but this time I'm pleased to say it's all regular.  My 18/6 IF is also really getting established, I eat between 12 and 6 as much as I can, sometimes it's more 11-7 lol but I'm not too fussed as long as there's at least a 16 hour fast.  This is easy whilst I am working from home but will be more challenging when I go back to the office in a couple of weeks. As a result my digestion is MUCH calmer.  I'm also eating off a smaller plate and bowl each meal so I've brought my portion sizes Waaaaay down.  I think I probably eat " normal " portions now.  It probably sounds like I'm doing a lot but I've just changed HOW I eat along with tweaking what I eat.  

Day 16.  Its been an eat all the things sort of day. I think its because I have just been really cold all day.  I still had my three meals, its just that they were BIG meals.  Don't feel bloated or overly stuffed though so perhaps I just needed to eat a bit more today

Meal 1 ranch salad, guacamole new potatoes and eggs

Meal 2 cod wrapped in bacon, 2 satsumas (yes definitely needed more veggies here)

Meal 3 ranch salad guacamole and smoked salmon. 

Screenshot_20220119-204254_Ate.jpg

Day 17.  I don't know what it is but I'm loving this W30, I'm not missing anything at all.  I wouldn't want to be this strict forever but I do think I need to make my full time diet W30ish. That means a slow steady reintroduction when the time comes. I'm still not feeling tiger blood but I also haven't felt tired or hangry at the start of the 30.

Breakfast - full on fry up of bacon, eggs, tomatoes, mushrooms and crispy yummy potatoes.

Donner - pork Colombo curry on courgetti 

Screenshot_20220120-204608_Ate.jpg

Day 18. Still going well.  It was very cold here today and that seems to make me hungry.  Luckily I had all sorts on hand to keep me on track although I probably had too much fruit .  My jeans are much looser today so I'm definitely going to try the next size down tomorrow.

breakfast - smoked salmon with scrambled eggs, tomato, avocado and some mayo

lunch - hard boiled eggs and mayo. Grapes, satsuma and banana

Snack- another banana 

Dinner - bell peppers stuffed with lamb mince and assorted diced veggies. Roasted new potatoes with mayo.  I made a fresh batch of mayo today and its so light and fluffy I can't stop eating it.

Screenshot_20220121-232924_Ate.jpg

Day 19.  A very very cold Saturday here in Wales but I was surprised to find I was not hungry at all... at any point in the day.   Still the good news is the snaps and cracks I get in my neck when I turn my head have pretty much vanished, just a bit of crackling still.  My weird hip pain I get in the night has been ferocious the last few nights and I'd quite like that to abate a bit.  Jeans felt a touch looser again today, still not brave enough to get out the next size down to try.

Thai pork curry left overs with mushrooms.

Baked sweet potato with lamb mince and tomatoes on slaw with olives 

Screenshot_20220122-185146_Ate.jpg

Day 20.  10 hours sleep and I woke up not even remotely hungry.  Had 101 errands and chores to sort so ended up doing a whole day fast.  Not by design but it felt kinda good .  So my one meal today was roast beef with roasted potatoes, Parsnips, carrots, celeriac and red onion.

Archived