How do I stop the cravings for food in the evening?

My husband and I started whole 30 on Dec 31. The book said start now! So we did. We are eating all the right foods, three meals a day and there is no reason that I can think of to need a snack (unusally a few nuts and a piece of dried fruit or homemade beef jerky) We were on paleo before this and haven't cheated--except that I can't seem to make it through the evening without a little something.

Any ideas on how I can train my brain would be wonderful. :-)

I haven't quite figured this out either, and was hoping to find an answer here too. I get cravings in the evening as a response to stress... I struggle with dermatillomania (compulsive skin picking) and tonight I just couldn't stop picking at my head, for hours. Not only does my head get raw, scabbed and painful, but my shoulders and neck ache from the poses I maintain during these phases.

Finally, I metaphorically threw up my hands: I'd tried to calm myself down a variety of ways, and finally I decided that if I got in the kitchen and used my hands for something besides destroying myself, I might be able to work through this. So, I went and de-seeded a pomegranate, toasted up some coconut flakes, and wound up eating them together. The compulsion to pick has finally stopped, but the damage is done and I ate when I wasn't really hungry.

So, I highly doubt you have the same problem as me, and I'm sorry to hijack your thread as such, but hopefully someone can come along and help both of us. :)

For the evening eating, I say you have to create new rituals. Like a smoker will tell you, they can't give up smoking because that first cup of coffee in the morning makes them want a cigarette...therefore, give up the coffee.

If you munch mindlessly whilst watching TV, stop watching TV. You get the idea.

Additionally, a cue to eat is often your body's way of saying "I need more energy if you want me to keep going". Perhaps it is time to take advantage of the glorious sleep coming your way, and just retreat to the bedroom earlier. Read a book, write letters (the old fashioned non-email kind) or just crawl under the covers and start those zzzs earlier.

Callan - I wish I had some advice for you. The only thing I could think of was to paint your fingernails!

I had this same problem in the very beginning of my first Whole 30, and honestly, to get through it, I ate some fruit in the evenings. I know it was probably a substitute for dessert, but I eventually stopped, so in the end, I think it was worth it. A few things that helped, I made sure to eat a little more at my evening meal. I found that if I ate enough, I would really not feel hunger or cravings afterwords. Also, if I felt like I still needed something once I sat down for the evening, a cup of herbal tea was usually enough to distract me.

Hope that helps! :)

Callan - I wish I had some advice for you. The only thing I could think of was to paint your fingernails!

Heh, yep... silly me - I thought of it, and for some reason my mean brain convinced me not to do it. Next time, next time! I usually try to keep my nails really short, but when I can't pick, my brain switches over to pulling [my hair] and I wind up with bald patches. Argh! I'm hoping that dietary changes can help me fight this better, but so far there has been little to no change. Once I'm more comfortable with my eating habits, this is what I will tackle next. :)

Callan, I have a similar disorder called trichotillomania (compulsive hair pulling). When I did a W30 last summer, and stayed close to paleo in the following month or two, I saw definite improvement in my symptoms (ie, my fortunately well camouflaged bald spot started growing back). I never got to the place where I totally stopped pulling, but it was clearly getting better. I think this can definitely be helpful for us.

Yup, I have trich as well, and I'm SO glad to hear your positive testimonial. I've been fighting this for seven years now (since I was 15 or so) and it's starting to get old. Thank you for your response and know that I am rooting for you Ann!!

I too ate a piece of fruit in the evening the first week, but this past week I haven't had as strong of an urge to snack. I have been truly hungry late evening after wt training so I did eat. I've learned to eat more food at meal 3, this seems to keep the munchies down. I sometimes have herbal tea if I'm feeling the urge to munch

I would say the only thing that has helped me is eating a BIG breakfast and by big I mean bigger than I think I should. EG I always think I should have 3 eggs, but I have 4 and it seems like a little too much at the time, but if I don't have a huge breakkie (along with a decent lunch) then I always feel the need to snack after dinner (even if I don't feel hungry, I just get the urge to snack). Also the 1st day of not snacking after dinner is always the hardest, it does get easier once you turn it into a habit not to have anything. PS also having a tea w/ a little coconut milk if I really feel like something is also another thing that I do.

Hope these tips are helpful :) xx

I know the breakkie one was hard for me for a while, but once you get into a big breakfast habit it really works... well it has for me :) Hope it can for you also. PS you also feel more hungry for breakfast when you haven't eaten since 6 or 7pm the night before. But I think you need to start the habit by having a little bit more for breakfast even though you don't feel like it. I always tried to do it the other way round (stop the snacking so I would be hungry) and it didn't work. But everyone is different! :)

Archived