Concerned

I hate to sound so needy and sharing too much, however, starting Day 4, and second day constipated. I was "lo-carb" before starting this program and needed two servings of psyllium husk to keep my fiber count around 25-30 grams a day.

Now on this plan, I'm eating veggies for breakfast for the first time in my life! I had been eating a flax seed muffin that also gave me a lot of fiber first thing.

I posted my food log on the other area, but it seems like I'm eating about the same things everyone else is.

I drink plenty of water - 80-90 oz a day.

Any ideas?

Happy Day!

• Moderators

Magnesium may help with the constipation. I use a supplement called Natural Calm that helps me fall asleep easier. Taking a big dose of Natural Calm has a laxative effect with many people, especially folks who are new to taking it. The unsweetened version of Natural Calm is Whole9/Whole30 approved.

Sweet potatoes help me too...I don't have good luck with Natural Calm, although I think I'm the only person on the planet who doesn't!!!! I wish it were a solution for me as well...that would be the first thing I'd try if I were you...I've heard so many great results with it.

I've been taking the natural calm for about two weeks now and notice that it makes me very logy - which is a good thing at night, I think, when I'm sleeping. As I have a tiny bladder, I must get up about four to five hours in to the night and pee - the Natural Calm makes me a bit of a zombie at that time - which is probably okay because I can get back to sleep. But I've also noticed that I feel a bit lethargic in the day as well... Could be I was sick, could be starting the whole 30... but last night I didn't take it. I had a hard time falling back to sleep at 2 am, but I was awake and more alert when I did get out of bed. I also haven't felt any lethargy yet today. So I'm wondering if the Natural Calm's sedative effect is lasting into the day...? Anyone else have this happen?

Bodygeek,

That's an interesting point...being lethargic. I would be very interested in what others are saying about it since I was planning on buying some tomorrow. I'm "out of it" enough on my own, I don't need help. I need help with more focus and concentration since I'm planning another food shopping trip tomorrow and it's sending me in a panic!

I would also like to confirm people are taking the original Natural Calm since I believe the flavored kind have stevia in them. I miss stevia!

Happy Day!

I have been taking the original Natural Calm for several months now -- although I can only have about two teaspoons per night or I have some troubles with intestinal "urgency" if you know what I mean. I don't feel that it has any calming or lethargizing effect during the day, but I have noticed that it helps me go to sleep and sleep better through the night -- both of which have been hard for me for most of my life. The original flavor is a little tart, but not bad. It's kind of vaguely like lemon. I associate it with my nighttime ritual now and find it relaxing. Although I do have to get up to pee a few hours later, I go right back to sleep -- also a new thing with the Natural Calm. And, it does keep me regular as well. I highly recommend it -- just start out with 1 tsp and go from there. It's definitely worth a try. I get mine from Amazon. Hope this helps!!

spinach works for me. so does coconut oil, so a healthy serving of spinach with coconut oil.. I'd stay away from flax and psyllium, you might make things worse. from WebMD:

It might also cause gastrointestinal (GI) side effects such as bloating, gas, abdominal pain, constipation, diarrhea, stomachache, and nausea. Higher doses are likely to cause more GI side effects.

Thanks. I would like to say the spinach and coconut oil work for me, but I have two large spinach salads every day and spinach in my eggs every morning and haven't noticed a change. I use coconut oil in my scrambler in the morning and coconut milk in my one cup of coffee.

I've been slowing(1/2 tsp twice a day) since Wednesday and haven't noticed a big change. I'm not big on patience. I'm actually sleeping less, which isn't me. I will just keep increasing the dose to see what works best for me.

Hoping for the best!

Happy Day!

I would try to take your only dose of Natural Calm before bed. Try 1 teaspoon 30 minutes before bed and see how that goes. I think that should give you gentle results in 1-2 days (but keep taking it every night and increasing a little maybe after the second day). This is just my advice though, and if it feels off to you -- keep on with what you're doing! :)

Archived