4 Hour Mountain Bike Race on Day 13?

MtbBetty

There is a 4 hour charity mtb race I’d like to do tomorrow. I’m on day 13 of Whole30 as ordered by my immunologist for gut issues I’ve had along with other mild dysautonomia symptoms I’ve struggled with for years. I thought I ate fairly healthily, but noticed too much added sugar (love sugar in my tea for example) when I started this diet. I honestly feel worse on Whole30 so far and struggle a little more than others including my husband who is in solidarity with me because I have fructose malabsorption (can only eat berries for the most part for many years due to low glycemic index) and cannot digest coconut. I think maybe I’m not getting enough carbs for how much I exercise, but even increasing them with even more sweet potato (so tired of sweet taters) and white potatoes is not increasing my energy level in spite of feeling full. It’s weird, but I was told need a significant amount of glucose to outweigh fructose due to my lack of enzymes that process fructose is how it was explained to me long ago by a dr as to even the intestinal absorption. I used to eat a lot of beans for carbs before Whole30 and wondering if this is why I feel weak or if this is just prolonged sugar flu due to unknown health issues. I hesitate to enter the same race I’ve won last year for fear of unknown. I did the pre-ride today and felt fine, but worried if it is 4 hours instead of 1 hour, I could suffer some kind of horrible Whole30 hangover or something. Please tell me that isn’t a thing, lol. Thank you in advance.

Hmmm tricky. I’m a runner and do long runs, 20kms etc but I don’t think I’d be doing one on day 13 W30 especially as it sounds like you’ve not hit the tiger blood yet. First one I went out sugar free I was a bit worried but it was fine. Carb loaded and drank lots of water the night before. I miss the electrolytes more than the sugar, there is literally no commercial electrolyte supplement that doesn’t contain sugar or sweeteners. 

Thank you. Yes, I decided not to participate in the race. I also miss the electrolytes too and already have a difficult time hydrating enough as my absorption isn‘t great from the start which is one of the reasons for the doctor-ordered Whole30 diet. Glad I decided not to do it. Still don‘t feel any Tiger Blood anything yet and still extremely tired, fighting a headache today and a wrecked stomach to the point where I cannot eat lunch so I would have had a terrible time during race recovery. Thanks for your input. Still patiently waiting for that Tiger Blood.

Archived