Serving size for chilis and soups

Cara in Canada

First post!! I did a search but didn't find anything.

I made a giant pot of W30 approved chili yesterday and I'm ready to put it into individual containers so I can grab out of the freezer for lunches. The chili has tons of veggies- tomatoes, celery, spinach, mushrooms and carrots.

1) how much is good for a meal-size serving (1 ladle, 2 cups, 2 ladles)?

2) how should I round out my meal- do I need to add a salad or more veggies? It is made with ground turkey

The same question would apply to the protein/veggie soups that I make and freeze in a similar way.

Thanks! Waiting for my ISWF to arrive in mail (in case it's covered in there)

For chili, I take the amount of meat used and divide that by servings. For example, a chili with 2 pounds of ground beef will make 5-6 servings for my boyfriend or 6-8 for me. I ladle them out equally until it's gone. I usually add a salad because the veggies in my chili would not "fill the rest of the plate" according to the meal template and I'll also add avocado or olives on top for the fat. When we eat veggie soups, we always add a protein to match the template.

http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

I buy those plastic Chinese soup containers in the 16 ounce size and freez'em. The freezer part of my fridge is lined with chili, tomato, carrot, butternut squash soups, beef stew, pulled pork, well you get the message. They are so convenient to just pull out and thaw. Add a quick protein and side salad to go with the non meat soups and I am good to go for breakfast/lunch.

I buy those plastic Chinese soup containers in the 8oz size and freez'em. The freezer part of my fridge is lined with chili, tomato, carrot, butternut squash soups, beef stew, pulled pork, well you get the message. They are so convenient to just pull out and thaw. Add a quick protein and side salad to go with the non meat soups and I am good to go for breakfast/lunch.

Sharon, you always have such clever ideas. Where did you find the containers?

I bought them off of Amazon, of course. And oops they are 16 ounces! Also, a good price, I paid more when I bought them a few months ago and they are dishwasher safe on the top rack, lids as well.

http://www.amazon.co...ils_o02_s00_i00

I use them for stock too.

I should have known they were Amazon. :) Do you know if they are bpa free? I actually just copied my mom and bought a bunch of pyrex with bpa free lids, but I am starting up my personal chef biz again and need containers for that. 16oz is perfect.

Perfect Sharon! Ordering them...although I also really like the compostable containers from the other site. The last time I did this, I had access to these super cool containers through the Personal Chef's Association. They were able to go in the oven or microwave, reusable and recyclable.

Archived