loosing too much weight-HELP

suzytee

Okay, I know we are not supposed to weigh,but we started eating Whole9 just after Thanksgiving. At that point I didn't need to lose any weight but I went down 3 pounds. At that point I felt it important to monitor my weight to be sure I was eating enough. Since then I have gone down more. I definitely feels like a different sort of weight loss and I don't feel tired. I am eating a ton of food and still feel nicely hungry when it's time to eat again. Here's what I ate yesterday

Meal 1 - crustless quiche( about a 3 egg serving, 2 zuchinni hashed browns, a serving of mixed berries with coconut flakes.

Meal 2- 2 large scoops of tune/egg salad made with olive oil mayo on a bed of romaine lettuce surrounded by cherry tomatoes and some carrot sticks.

Meal 3- large bowl of veggie beef soup, which was loaded with veggies(kale, carrots, onion, Zuccini) 1/2 an avocado and some roasted sweet potato skins.

My daily breafast is 3 eggs and a large portion of sauteed veggies cooked in generous portions of fat with a serving of berries topped with coconut .

As for pre and post workout...my routine is to eat breakfast, shower and 1 hour later do my yoga, by that time it is time for lunch so I don't do a specific separate pre and post workout snack unless I am going for a power walk. I know that weight is "just a number" but I can never remember weighing this much and probably didn't start weighing myself till college. I have opteopenia and am working hard to combat this naturally. My only risk factor is low body weight and I don't want this weight loss to affect that. I would appreciate and counsel you might have out there. I'm not yet experiencing the great night's sleep and I don't have any usual sleep problems. I have pretty much cut out caffiene so I feel much more tired in the evenings but still don't seem to fall right off. I plan to order some 'Natural calm" I believe it is and hope that might help as well as give me added magnesium for my bones. By the way, I am 57 and still experience some mild hot flashes which contribute to the sometimes interrupted sleep. Thanks

How tall are you and what do you weigh? I have lost around 10 pounds since starting W30/ paleo eating. I did not think I had it to lose, but it seems my body is at it's ideal weight because it has not changed (that I'm aware of) since the initial drop 5 months ago. I eat a ton of food also. I hope someone else chimes in. I just wanted to let you know that I was surprised by my weight loss, but I did stop losing weight after a few weeks.

• Moderators

Most of us would be quite healthy if we weighed close to what we did when we graduated from high school.

I wish I could just look at you. I can recognize too thin when I see it. I actually trust my eyes more than I do body fat measurements, etc.

Your meal choices sound good, but I am concerned about your getting enough protein. In my experience soups usually don't include enough protein to match the meal template guideline of one or two palm-size portions per meal. Sometimes you need to count the soup as your veggie serving and add some protein. And I would raise the same concern about your tuna salad. Are you getting a palm-size portion of tuna and not just tuna mixed with veggies?

How soon before your next meal do you feel hunger? If you are hungry more than an hour before your next meal, you might need to eat more. In your case, I would not hesitate to try 4 meals per day and see how that works for you.

If you want to weigh more, you should probably consider weight training. Not that weight training can put a lot of bulk on you, but you can build more muscle with lifting weights and muscle weighs more. Of course, more muscle would require you to eat more to maintain it.

whenever I see these "I'm losing too much weight!" posts, I wonder if they are from someone who has been pretty close to a healthy weight but hanging on to unhealthy inflammation. Such inflammation is not fat, and it will leave quickly if you go on an eating plan like the whole 30. Getting rid of inflammation is good. If, after losing it, you feel like you are "too skinny" then the answer is not to regain inflammation via the Standard American Diet, but, as Tom suggests, to gain muscle mass via strength training and eating more good food, especially protein.

Thanks for all the helpful advice. I am 5/3-3/4 and now weigh 109. That is down from 113. I usually (in the past) held around 113-115. I have been down to 111 before and this does feel different. I understand about the soup and will take note of that. It's not a usual dinner for me as we usually have a main course meat dish. I feel like I'm eating substantial amounts ( probably more like 2 palm sized portions) of the tuna/egg salad when I have it for lunch...feel like that is all protein with a few apples diced in for crunch. I have also added in weights to my workout...finding it a challenge to fit it in with all the extra food prep and clean up but I would expect that will help. I feel very satisfied as far as hunger goes between meals except maybe a little at night so maybe I need to eat more (if possible) at dinner.

You do sound petite but like missmary said, it could be the bloating and inflammation that you're losing, and not actual fat. If you are really concerned though I would make an appointment with your doctor just to check up on everything and see what he or she says.

Archived