Doctor bought up Autoimmune

mandyl

Hi -

I am new here but I a familiar with Whole30 although I have never actually done a Whole30. I have the books and have thought about it many times in my life.

A few weeks ago I had what I thought was an allergic reaction on my finger which spread to the two other fingers; after trying cortisone cream etc, I went to my PCP who said she is suspicious of psoriatic arthritis - mostly because of the swollen fingers, redness and the fact that my mother has it. I do not currently have any other symptoms but alas here we are. More testing will be needed to confirm or deny it ... but I am a health conscious/fitness minded person (just completed  an Ironman in November) so I have found myself scouring the internet for things I can do myself to better my health and reduce systemic inflammation.

Question is: I obviously am not sure if I have autoimmune or not, although it is possible. The thought of doing full AIP is daunting and sounds horrible to Be honest.... yet if I just decide to give Whole 30 a try am I still likely to see it help? Anyone have any experience/suggestions?

Thanks so much

• Moderators

Obviously no one can guarantee exactly what results you'll see from a Whole30, but it could still help with inflammation even without taking on a full blown AIP. It could also be sort of a stepping stone, so if you do a regular Whole30 and decide it might be worth doing AIP, it may be less daunting than going from your regular diet straight to AIP. 

What I would recommend if you think you may need to do AIP is try to incorporate some AIP recipes into your Whole30, so that you hopefully find some AIP recipes and herbs/spices that you like or even just so you get an idea of good sources for AIP recipes, so if you do AIP in the future it's not so overwhelming. 

Thank you for your reply! I think I am going to give it a go next week. I don't think it will hurt me, only help me. I've played around with the idea so long I should just commit. There is never going to be a perfect time.

Archived