Shredded sweet potato

TripleM

Would raw sweet potato keep for a few days if I pre-shredded it and kept it in the fridge? Should I soak it, or just shred and put in a bag? I love sweet potato hashbrowns, but don't always have time to get the food processor out in the morning. I was thinking of shredding one or two potatoes in the beginning of the week to use but wasn't sure if they would keep well?

I don't know, but I do know that I roast several sweet potatoes (whole, in the skin) each weekend and they keep just fine in the fridge all week long. Maybe do a test or two? If the raw shedded ones don't keep, already cooked hashbrowns might. Then you could re-heat them in the morning, saving even more time.

Yup ! I shred ALOT every weekend, and it lasts me all week. I shred in the food processor and store in covered container in fridge (actually in 2 or 3 of them-I shred ALOT !!) Keeps fine and is still bright looking when I use it several days later. BIG time saver in the mornings as we have them for breakfast almost every day. ( I do not store them in water and it has worked fine for me)

I shred up a bunch on the weekend and store in a baggie for the week. Stores OK for a long time and has alot of moisture content.

A trick I figured out this weekend is to put the shredded SP between some paper towels and press the water out as much as possible before you cook it.

I usually cook it in ghee to make browns.

Another trick to remove water is to toss some salt on them. It will pull the water out which helps with the crisping process later.

AJ, I ususally just throw some shredded sweet potato, a somewhat thin layer, into the pan with my oil of choice and just leave them for several minutes. When I see that they seem to have started to brown I turn them and let them cook on the other side for a few more minutes.

I just finally got my food processor but if you don't have one, just pull out a cheese grater, I used the largest holes I had. Works great, besides your not using that tool right now anyway. ;)

I've never done them in the oven, I just pan fry them. I think the timing depends on how "done" you want them to be. When my husband makes them he doesn't cook them nearly as long as I usually do. I cook them WAY down because I like them to be really caramelized and a little crunchy. Some people like them cooked less, so they still keep their shape and have more volume. Just takes a little experimentation I think!

• 2 years later...

Archived