tea or other caffeine sources besides coffee

afalast

My husband gets up at around 4:30 in the morning and gets home around 8:00 in the evening. He does not like coffee.....at all. Can you recommend any Whole30 compliant drinks that contain caffeine? I'm looking for specific brands of teas or whatever else that is easy. Thanks!

I have some Stash English Breakfast tea and some Tazo organic chai tea right now. The Tazo teas have very clear ingredient lists. My husband has some Harney and Sons cinnamon tea he really likes. I didn't see an non-compliant ingredients specifically listed, but it does say "natural and artificial flavors."

Thanks, Robin! Are you a tea drinker? What do you drink?

I started drinking tea during my last W45 to replace my evening cup of coffee (yeah... I know). Unfortunately for me, the tea I grew to love was NON-COMPLIANT - and I drank it almost every night for more than a month!!! It has stevia leaf in it. So, now I'm on the hunt for a dark, rich tea to replace my Yogi Mayan Cocoa Spice. Sigh.

I swear I will never be able to shop the same way again. I used to get insulted (quietly) by my in-laws as they are big label readers. I felt they were judging me. But I get it now! My garlic salt had sugar, starch and something else in it! Couldn't believe it!!!! It's now in recycling.

I second people's recommendation of Tazo Teas. For a caffeine boost, I recommend their "Awake - English Breakfast" Tea as it is a Black Tea and is rated the highest caffeine rating (amongst their teas). Secondly, for taste + caffeine, definitely go for the Organic Chai. It tastes a lot better than the English Breakfast, IMO, and it has some caffeine (rated 3, as opposed to English Breakfast, which is rated 5 on a scale from 1-5).

• 4 weeks later...

I just went through my tea stash and noticed that a bunch of the Yogi brand teas--chai rooibos, Thai delight, India spice--have Stevia leaf in them. So no go for the Whole30, but should I keep them at all for after? I tend to be very all or nothing, but I can see myself, after this is all said and done, adding sugar to my tea/coffee.

After a W30 it's entirely up to you what you eat or drink (after a proper reintro phase that is :)) so it's a personal choice whether you reintroduce them or ditch them. On my first W30 I moved a lot of non-compliant foods out of the kitchen onto shelves to have after W30. As the W30 progressed I kept looking at what I was saving and decided more and more of it, I really didn't want to ever have again so the foodpile shrunk and shrunk :). i did decide to keep some things and I'm happy with that. It's going to be an individual thing for everybody.

I am with the mate team here. Mate contains three stimulants—caffeine, theobromine (the “happy†chemical in chocolate) and theophylline. Perfect morning drink. You might be interested to read this article about other health benefits of drinking mate - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/yerba-mate-benefits/

I am not the biggest fan of teabags because of the process used by different producers to bleach the paper (you can think I'm crazy, that's ok). If you have Mighty Leaf brand - try it, it comes in silky pouches. I like to buy tea by weight, in this way you can regulate the taste and cafeine amount too. The quantity of leaf used and the length of time the leaves are steeped both directly influence the caffeine content of the final cup of tea. Using more leaves and steeping for a longer time both increase the caffeine in the resulting cup.

Check the vendors in your area, you might find a gem. 

P.S you can also try matcha tea - Japanese tea that comes in the form of powder. 

P.S2 Robin, Mighty Leaf has chocolate and spice tea section :)

• 2 years later...

I started drinking tea during my last W45 to replace my evening cup of coffee (yeah... I know). Unfortunately for me, the tea I grew to love was NON-COMPLIANT - and I drank it almost every night for more than a month!!! It has stevia leaf in it. So, now I'm on the hunt for a dark, rich tea to replace my Yogi Mayan Cocoa Spice. Sigh.

Robin, this just happened to me. What did you do in this situation? Did you start your whole45 over? I'm on day 23 of a whole30 and I realized yesterday that a tea I had been drinking almost every morning has stevia leaf in it. I have otherwise been rigorously compliant, and I'm kicking myself hard for not having read the ingredients list more carefully. The ingredients are listed in two separate places! It's like they were trying to trick me. 

I'm considering extending to a whole45, or at the very least doing an extremely slow-roll introduction period, with sweetener at the end (so that I at least have a whole 30 days without any added sugars, because I'll still be avoiding them even as I test other food groups). In "Do I Really Have to Start My Whole 30 Over" it says "added sugars are unique in that they will not disarm your reset button," and it implies that the main reason for avoiding sweetener in such small amounts is not so much because of the metabolic reset, but to raise awareness about sneaky sugars (and believe me, my awareness is now RAISED):

http://whole30.com/2014/06/really-start-whole30/

Anyway, I know that it's ultimately my decision, but I if you are willing to share, I would love to know how you dealt with this problem. I will start over if I grow to believe that the stevia-tea has truly undermined my re-set, but I'm hoping against hope that it hasn't. 

Robin, this just happened to me. What did you do in this situation? Did you start your whole45 over? I'm on day 23 of a whole30 and I realized yesterday that a tea I had been drinking almost every morning has stevia leaf in it. I have otherwise been rigorously compliant, and I'm kicking myself hard for not having read the ingredients list more carefully. The ingredients are listed in two separate places! It's like they were trying to trick me. 

I'm considering extending to a whole45, or at the very least doing an extremely slow-roll introduction period, with sweetener at the end (so that I at least have a whole 30 days without any added sugars, because I'll still be avoiding them even as I test other food groups). In "Do I Really Have to Start My Whole 30 Over" it says "added sugars are unique in that they will not disarm your reset button," and it implies that the main reason for avoiding sweetener in such small amounts is not so much because of the metabolic reset, but to raise awareness about sneaky sugars (and believe me, my awareness is now RAISED):

http://whole30.com/2014/06/really-start-whole30/

Anyway, I know that it's ultimately my decision, but I if you are willing to share, I would love to know how you dealt with this problem. I will start over if I grow to believe that the stevia-tea has truly undermined my re-set, but I'm hoping against hope that it hasn't. 

Robin is no longer on the Whole30 team - she left to pursue other interests a few months ago (the post of hers your quoted was from January of 2013). 

And yes, the decision whether to restart is yours.  If you're seeking another Whole30 team person's opinion, if it was one cup of tea, I'd keep going. Given that you've consumed stevia every single day, I'm suggest extending your Whole30 to a Whole53, or at a minimum, at least having 30 consecutive days of no sweeteners of any kind.

Archived