Are jarred olives low histamine?

Terry B

Hi there,

Could somebody please help regarding the low histamine shopping list?

Specifically the “avoid:..” paragraph at the bottom.

I’m struggling to understand if jarred olives are classified as fermented foods or not.

So my questions are can I have jarred olives in brine (ferrous gluconate or citrus acid)? I’m presuming olives preserved in vinegar is out. And by extension is extra-virgin olive oil ok for low histamine?

Also I saw on the list where it says olives are ok as eating fat but wasn’t sure if that meant fresh olives or not.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks

• Moderators

Hey there!

Extra Virgin Olive Oil is specifically listed on that shopping list as okay for low histamine. re: the olives being fermented part - I think that it's a gray area of fermenting... olives are considered an anti-histamine - if you're avoiding histamines, yes, I'd assume avoiding vinegars would be a good idea but there are many olives packed in water or oils that would work for you.

I'm not sure where you get 'fresh' olives here in North America... even the ones in olive bars that you scoop yourself aren't 'fresh', they'd have been processed/canned in some way to get them from where olives are grown to us.

Hey!

Ah thanks!

I’m writing from the UK. The olives I’m looking at here are in jars and include the ingredients: Water, Black Olives, Salt, Stabiliser: Ferrous Gluconate.

There are other jarred kinds that have been preserved in red wine vinegar.

I say ‘fresh’ because there are some other types of olives that are sold here in smaller plastic containers without any water holding them, so that’s my guess at why they’re fresh.

It seems avocado is also a gray area. But glad to know extra-virgin olive oil is ok. I think I’ll stick to this as my fat source and try out some olives too.

Thanks

• Moderators

Ya, I think those ones in smaller packages are probably just repacked from larger packages.  You can eat 'fresh' olives but they're intensely bitter so they do need to be processed first to make them palatable. May be something you want to test out while you're doing the Whole30 or something you can do in the reintroduction phase to really get a good idea of how they suit you.

Yeah that makes sense, and the ones in plastic containers without water have a lot of added ingredients. I’m halfway through my first W30 so I think I’ll take your advice and just include it as a specific one for reintroduction later. Thank you :-)

Archived