Realized my steak at T. Roadhouse was non-compliant

Mariah Baseman

After eating at Texas Roadhouse, it dawned on me that the steak I ordered didn't just taste like meat. It tasted like seasoning + meat. After hopping on here, I learn that the steak seasoning probably has msg/sugar, and the steaks are cooked in butter! Yikes! No wonder my gut feels a little funny.

I'm on day 13 of my first W30 with no other slips/cheats/accidents. Does this warrant a re-start??

• Moderators

MSG and milk proteins both call for a push of the reset button. But rather than starting over, it would be better to extend 30 days and go for a Whole43. You would not have a perfect 43 days, but you would have the chance of an even better result by eating so well for so long.

• 3 months later...

My mother wants to go to the Texas Roadhouse for Mother's Day, and I'll be about halfway through the whole30. I sent them an e-mail this morning asking them to clarify on the ingredients in their sweet potato, veggies, and steaks. I figured they probably use a steak spice, and probably coat it in oil or something, so I also asked them if it is possible for them to make the steak without seasonings or oil, just throw a slab of meat on the grill and then slap it on my plate. Also asked if I can just get a plain baked sweet potato with nothing on it.

Is there anything on the menu that is recommended to simplify things a bit?

I went to the Texas Roadhouse for the first time last fall. My kid and I were visiting my mother and sister in PA. My kid and I agree we will never got there again. Kid ended up feeling so sick by the time we left, and both of us had a headache by the time we got back to my sister's house. I figure everything we ate had a ton of MSG in the seasoning. (Mom and the sister LOVE it and go pretty often! YIKES)

• 3 weeks later...

I went there on Saturday, for an early Mother's Day. Basically the only thing we could find on the menu that was compliant was their steak. We asked what it was cooked in and what was in the spices. We were asked if we were looking for anything in particular. We said sugar, MSG & vegetable oils, so she went to check and returned saying their steak is cooked in butter, and contains all 3 of the things we asked to avoid. We were able to order it without being cooked in butter and without the spices.

For sides, we found out the baked sweet potato, which normally comes with butter and cinnamon sugar, was also rolled in bacon fat, and that you couldn't get it without because they are already rolled in it. I ordered their seasonal vegetables without butter or anything, and it was just carrots and steamed broccoli, but at least it was compliant.

I had sent them an email asking these questions before, but never got a reply from them.

Archived