Husband and wife team starting the whole30 Jan 14th!

Ainsley

Hi everyone!

Greetings from Toronto, Ontario! I am so excited to join this forum and start my whole 30 tomorrow. My husband will be doing it with me too which is awesome because he is an amazing cook. I am looking forward to trying all the recipes I have seen here and on the web. I just finished reading it starts with food and I am pumped for these 30 days. Hardest thing to give up for me will be wine for sure, I love a glass of red after a long day at work. Also love cheese and bread so I am interested to see how much I miss those. I am doing this as a kickstart after an indulgent holiday season and would love to lose a few pounds and get back into healthy living. My husband too. We are both not overweight but our goal is to get really fit and shed some body fat/build muscle. We both love running, weight lifting and I love hot yoga. Haven't been to the gym since before December so we will be sore this week for sure:)

We have 2 young daughters, aged 1 and 3 and both have busy careers too. I am 35 and my husband is 42. I look forward to chatting with everyone on here and learning from you all. I can't wait to see and feel the changes. I have been thinking that I am sensitive to wheat and have some degree of impaired insulin sensitivity as I find if I eat a lot of bread and other starchy carbs I tend to pack on the pounds easily, especially after having my kids. I work hard to keep my weight down whereas my husband can eat a lot more carbs and not worry about weight as much. (not fair!!) we have been eating way too much sugar lately too since the holidays so we need to slay that dragon.

Anyways, sorry for the long winded intro and thanks to Dallas and Melissa for writing such an awesome book that has inspired my family to do the whole30!

Ainsley xoxo

Good morning all! I am kind of writing in this thread as well as the 1/13 starters as I technically started about mid-day yesterday ( I won't fully count it as a day, but I had a great whole30 dinnner! I have a slight headache this morning as my body misses my sugary creamer in my coffee, but I think I will get through it! My husband is doing this with me as well, but (I hate to say this), he has very LITTLE will power, and I am just not sure he can do the whole 30 days without cheating, but I know he is going to try his best!! Good luck to everyone today!

lilangel- I'm skeptical that my hubby will be able to do the whole 30 days without cheating too, especially when it comes to beer after hockey! But I'm hoping he does...I am on day 1, I was so full from our carb filled pasta dinner last night I did could not even eat breakfast this morning. 2 black coffee and green tea for me. Planning a big salad for lunch with grilled chicken and balsamic/olive oil.

Hope everyone is doing great!!

Ainsley

Another "starting today" member! I'm taking the "no time like the present" approach (as opposed to the "I'm fully prepared and ready for this" approach. The first few days are going to be particularly interesting as I try to scrounge together W30 compliant meals. After that, I have a nice window where I can go grocery shopping and get some cooking done.

Let's do this!

Yeah!! So happy to see others starting today with me:) Liz I found lunch out a breeze today- had a big salad with some lean steak on top, avocados, tons of mixed veggies, a few slivered almonds and balsamic/olive oil on the side. Lots of water and green tea. Feeling great on day one! We can do this:)

Welcome Ainsley! I started this time last week but I just wanted to wish you luck. I'm also doing this with my husband & am a mom of 2 girls (1 and almost 3) living in Ontario. :)

Best of luck!

P.S. If you don't already own "Well Fed", I HIGHLY recommend it. It's fabulous (both the recipes & the instructions / hints on how to prepare ahead). It's been our go to so far.

Day 2, just checking in with everyone!! I had a few hard boiled eggs for breakfast, some braised pork, carrots, and sweet potatoes for lunch (and a green tea) and I am lookging forward to have a whole30-afied taco salad for dinner!

I feel good today. A lil tired (but I work, go to school, and have kids so im always tired). I do have a slight headache since I gave up my coffee this morning, but I will survive!

Hi guys!

Yes cinammon is allowed...

Day 2 going great for me! I am hungrier today than yesterday for sure. breakfast was a boiled egg (not a big breakfast eater so that is good for me), lunch huge salad with mixed veggie, chicken, balsamic and olive oil. Sprinkled a few dried cranberries in there, is that allowed??

Having fish for dinner tonight with veggies. Lots of green tea.

Hope everyone is doing great!

xo Ainsley

The dried cranberries should be okay, but I would say eat them in moderation (as with any dried fruit). My taco salad last night was SO yummy that I am pretty sure I could eat it every night! I have my green tea with me this morning with 3 hard boiled eggs and an avacado, but I am just not hungry at the moment :/

Start of Day 3! Just had 1 egg 2 egg whites scrambled with veggies and a half grapefruit for breakfast.. i actually started getting a headache lastnight because of the lack of sugar!! I'm so used to having a piece of candy or some type of sweets throughout my day:( so hopefully that'll go away! Otherwise..drinking a lot of cucumber/lemon water has been key for me, making me feel full throughout the day.

Hi everyone!

Welcome to Day 3! Lilangel- can you post how you made the taco salad? sounds so yummy! Last night we made the moroccan style fish from it starts with food. it's posted under the protein section. I was surprised how good it was with fish (would have normall used chicken but hubby had already taken fish out to defrost) The coconut milk/curry/raisins combo was amazing!! So decadent. I highly recommend it. question, do you guys buy the lower calorie version of coconut milk or full fat? Same ingredients in both??

today I have by hard boiled eggs for brekkie, big salad with chicken for lunch and I'm out for dinner tonight and movie. Plan on getting a nice steak with some veggies at the restaurant. Will be hard to resist popcorn but I'm going for a big herbal tea to sip on.

also made a great recipe for roasted cauliflower last night- sprinke cinammon/curry powder/salt/pepper over cauliflower florets that has been tossed in olive oil and roast in oven for 25 minutes at 420. Delicious!!!!! Veggies are so much better roasted.

Hope everyone has a great day 3!

xo Ainsley

Ainsley,

I made a taco seasoning recipe I found here: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/431-taco-beef/page__hl__%22chili+powder%22__fromsearch__1

I omitted the chili powder as I didn't have any. But it was SSOOO good. Just added it in with my beef (after straining the extra grease) with a tablespoon of water. Grabbed a bowl, through in some lettuce, piled some meat on top, added some sliced guacamole, some cherry tomoatos and a homemade italian dressing (just vinegar((I mixed some regular and some apple cidar vinegar)), evoo, and italian seasoning). I didn't use a lot of italian dressing on my salad. It was soooo good. Im used to sour cream on my taco salads but the avacado helped in not needing or wanting it!

This is my day 3 too! I started a low carb diet on Oct. 10, then switched to the Virgin Diet on Dec. 10. Turns out most of the foods that I was eating during low carb were foods that I am sensitive to. I am thankful that JJ Virgin finally got me to stop dairy and eggs - however her diet still allowed brown rice, quinoa, and legumes. I did lose 18 lbs in 5 weeks, but I could tell that those were not my type of food - which led me to the Whole 30. I have been soy, grain and sugar free since Oct., and eliminated corn, artificial sweeteners, peanuts, dairy and eggs in Dec. The biggest change for me is eliminating the shake that is required on the Virgin Diet. I was using vegan protein powder, which consisted of sprouted grain proteins and rice protein. I'm very curious to see if eliminating those will make a difference. So far I feel great! I was so excited to have a banana this morning - they were not allowed on the Virgin Diet. I didn't get a blood sugar spike from it, so it's all good. What I need the most right now is community, so I really appreciate you all! Do the people around you think you're crazy for doing the Whole 30? I am so happy that after years and years of doing all the "right" things - something is finally working!

I hope everyone's day 3 was tolerable!

Welcome Kim!! Glad you found us and it sounds like although you had great results on the virgin plan this may be better overall for you. I can't imagine having to give us eggs though, that's what I've been having for brekkie everyday on whole30.

Welcome to day 4 everyone!! I survived dinner and the movies last night. had a steak (no peppercorn sauce) with bok choi, green beens and carrots on the side (no butter) At movie I had a big black coffee. It wasn't too bad, I thought I'd miss the popcorn more than I actually did. Saw "this is 40"- hilarious!!!!!

How is everyone doing today??

Totally want to see that movie with hubby! Day 4. Why does it seem like it is going so slow?? I have a trip to Disney coming up right after my whole30 so I'd like to move this along!! I ate another taco salad last night since I got home so late from school. This morning I had some scrambled eggs with coconut milk mixed in along with pieces of onion and mushroom. Very yummy. Made another fresh pork roast last night and brought some for lunch so i'm excited to try that. I think tonight I am going to make zucchini pasta as the recipe looks delicious!! How is everyone feeling?? I wrote in the ladies only forum that hubby and I had a bit of bathroom troubles yesterday, but I feel fine now. I'm assuming our bodies were being "cleansed"?!?! Good luck today!

Archived