Husband and wife team starting the whole30 Jan 14th!

Ainsley

Happy day 5!! So far I am feeling good. Nothing to complain about. Hubbys is LOVING all the food I am making him so he is not complaining. I am so proud of him for giving up things like creamer, bread, and pop. Those were all things he LOVED. After the 30 i'll give him his creamer back as I need mine back too! The only trouble he is having, is finding something to drink. He hates water. So he is not going to take water and add veggies or berries. I'm trying to come up with stuff that will help him with that. I have not had fruit all week, so today, I think I will have a banana!

Happy day 5 everyone!!

Going strong here. Sad to say my hubby is quitting on me on day 5- he misses his oatmeal too much and really wants to join his friends for a beer tonight. I'm disapointed but I'm still sticking with it. He already eats pretty low carb at dinner so it shouldn't be an issue, we usually have protein and veggies for dinner anyways. Hardest part will be watching him have a drink tonight and I'm having water...

Yesterday I had some great meals- my usual massive salad with chicken and tons of veg. For dinner we made the sweet potato hash out of it starts with food. We put a poached egg on top and it was delicious. We used ground beef and it was amazing.

Had a random lunch today of fried eggs, half avocado and some sliced tomato. Plus an apple. I think tonight we are going to make red curry from it stars with food book.

Lil Angel- did you make the zucchini pasta? Have you tried kombucha to drink? I am going to whole foods today to pick some up. I am going to have some herbal tea tonight to white knuckle it through friday cocktail hour. Definitley not as fun!!

Hope everyone has a great day!!

xo Ainsley

Ainsley,

That stinks to hear that hubby is giving up already! He should have said no to the beer! I had a friend that wanted to coming over yesterday to hang out, but I actually said no as he usually has a few beers and I have a glass of wine. It is easier for me to just remove the temptation completely. I did make the zucchini noodles, which turned out pretty good. I just used my veggie peller to slice them into strips and through them in a pan with a little evoo and apple cider vineger. I ran out of cherry tomatoes or else they would have gone it. I did add two hard boiled eggs and seasoned with Thyme, salt and pepper!

Last night in the crockpot (which i'm about to eat now for lunch), I threw in a chuck roast. Coated all sides with kosher salt, pepper, and rosemary. Dumped in about 2 cups of organic beef broth (compliant), and added carrots, onions, and sweet pepper. can't wait to try it!

Hi everyone! I started my own thread about our first Whole30 without realizing that there were some other people/couples starting out on January 14th also. So, if you want the back story for Me and the Hubbs, feel free to pop over there ("Whole30 Newbs!").

We're officially on Day 5 today and going strong. I see some mention of a Whole30 taco salad and just wanted to echo the sentiments that we had Whole30 tacos the other night and they were my favorite meal yet. I could eat them every.single.day.

We used a Mexican spice blend I found on pinterest (cumin, chili powder, cinnamon, oregano, red pepper flakes and some others) to season chicken. I made Alton Brown's recipe for homemade guacamole (I've been making it for a year or two, so good!) and homemade pico de gallo. Take a lettuce cup, put on a dig spoonful of guac. Pile it high with chicken. Top it with homemade pico de gallo and proceed to chow down. There's also a really good recipe I found for apple mustard pork burgers, if anyone is interested.

Anywho, happy to have some people to follow along with and sorry I'm late to the party!

Ann (& Erik)

Welcome Ann and would love that recipe for the burgers too:) I have to make that taco salad this weekend!

lil angel- way to go on removing temptation. I just found out my hubby invited another couple over for dinner tomorrow night and I know the wine will be flowing...great....

I need to get out my crockpot too. tonight I'm making the red curry recipe, will post a review tomorrow!

Happy friday everyone:)

Today was day 6 and it wasHARD. While I was able to resist temptation while baking the cakes, I did have to taste my frosting to make sure that it was just right. It wasn't like I had a spoonful, just a little on my finger. I get paid for my cakes and I had to make sure it was perfect. Saturday was tought because hubby and I always go out to lunch. We didn't and that was difficult. I also went over to a friends house and her family had ordered pizza. I said no to that as well. Instead my hubby and I made some baked mahi mahi, sauteed shrimp, and a baked sweet potatoe. Hubby did confess that he hoped on the scale when I was gone, he is done 5 lbs! I am so proud of us so far. Today marks one week!

Hey guys, I totally fell off the wagon this weekend....ughhhh so dissapointed in myself. broke down and had a glass of wine friday night at a friends house and then proceeded to eat a slice of thin crust pizza and chips with guacamole. (they were soooo good)

I haven't stuck to it this weekend but am going to restart again tomorrow I think. I am so proud of you lil angel, you are kicking butt on this whole30 (and hubby too! way to go on the 5 lbs!)

Day 7 for me too - started on the 14th like a lot of you. I started to feel a little bored with food this weekend, so I bought "Well Fed" and am going to make a few things out of it today as prep for the week. I'm making the chocolate chili, the mashed cauliflower, the Best Chicken recipe, the pesto recipe, and the Home Fries made with jicama. Does anybody have any favorites from the book that I should make?

I saw the movie "The Perfect Human Diet" yesterday - it was pretty good! Also I made friends with a group of people at a local Crossfit gym - they started a Whole30 nutrition challenge today. I was lucky enough to be included in their Facebook page, so my local community is expanding.

Good luck this week!

Hey lil angel- thanks for checking in! After doing some research I decided I am going to follow mark sisson primal blueprint plan. It allows for a little more leeway with certain things...occasional goat cheese, greek yogurt and small amounts of red wine. I think that plan is more doable for me and my lifestyle. I think whole30 is an awesome plan but just too restrictive for me. Good luck finishing your whole30- I give major kudos to anyone who sticks it out for the 30 days! Way to go!

Love the recipes I got on here and from it starts with food and well fed- definitely going to be keeping those in my rotation:)

Hugs!! xo Ainsley

Sorry to hear that you are leaving :( There are times that I have felt that this is too strict too, since I miss my glass of milk. I can pass on the chocolate and chips, but it's other healthy stuff I miss, like CORN!!! I made a promise to myself though, and I intend to keep it. Good luck on this new plan!!

Hey, guys. I just wanted to throw in that the 30 days is just to clear your gut of all irritants, and reset it. After the 30 days you are encouraged to rotate in foods from the 'banned' groups during the Whole30, to see how you react (one at a time, so you can be clear if you have reactions to any of them!). Then it is your choice to have little bits here and there in your own food plan accordingly.

Rojo, while you are right, I think for some it is very hard to give up certain things that they love, even if it is for 30 days. I also think you really need to have the support there in order to maintain will power. Her hubby fell off the band wagon and I'm sure that didn't help. My husband is very stubborn and has always refused to give up his extreme amounts of pop that he would drink on a daily basis. With a little support from me, we are on day 9 and he has not had one glass of pop and is drinking water (he HATES water). I think you really need to have the support there to want to do this. This is just my opinion. If I didn't have my hubby, i'm not sure I would have made it to day 9.

Hey everyone! Just checking in and saw that Ainsley requested the recipe for the Apple Mustard Pork Burgers I mentioned above. I know you aren't doing the Whole30 anymore, but if you continue to check this thread --- here is the recipe!

http://www.thefoodee.com/recipe/6609/

Will be making them again this week, they're so good.

Today, we're on Day 9 of our first Whole30 and still feeling really good. After a whole week of nothing but sunshine and smiles between my Husband and I, last night we had our first argument fueled by my annoyance at so.much.cooking and Erik's annoyance at not being able to eat pizza/chinese/icecream/etc. Ultimately, it was over in about 10 minutes and neither of us were so frustrated we went off-plan. I continued cooking, and Erik ate his meal like a good boy. :)

I made an awesome Roasted Carrot and Mushroom Soup for my lunches this week and it is delicious! For anyone who may be interested in that recipe, here's that one as well. :) The only alterations I made were adding coconut milk to the soup at the end, to make it more of a "cream of" soup --- rather than just straight up veggies.

http://www.homemademommy.net/2012/11/roasted-carrot-and-mushroom-soup.html

You ladies are all awesome and are going rock the rest of your whole30- I just know it!! Lil Angel you are so right about having your hubby's support, that is awesome that he has stuck to the plan and given up pop. You will be both be so proud on day 30 and can enjoy a little treat to celebrate! I made your taco salad and it was AMAZING!!

Thanks for the apple mustard pork burgers Anne- I am definitelly going to make those and that soup too.

I will pop in to see how you guys are doing and for recipe inspiration here, all the whole30 recipes are primal friendly too. You ladies are doing so well- way to go!!

xo Ainsley

Yes Ainsley, you definetly cannot leave us!! I am glad that you enjoyed the taco salad. I have made it like 5 times in the past few days lol. I am trying to find some variety so that I am not eating the same thing over and over again. Tonight I think I am going to make homemade burgers and put them between lettuce instead of a bun. I just need something different. Don't go far!!

Yes Ainsley, you definetly cannot leave us!! I am glad that you enjoyed the taco salad. I have made it like 5 times in the past few days lol. I am trying to find some variety so that I am not eating the same thing over and over again. Tonight I think I am going to make homemade burgers and put them between lettuce instead of a bun. I just need something different. Don't go far!!

Made burgers on Saturday and they were awesome. Grassfed beef burgers with avocado slices on top and then an over-easy egg on top of that. No bun or lettuce to be had (we had veggies on the side) but dare I say it was just as satisfying as a restaurant burger? Will definitely be making them again sometime in the next week or two. Easy and delicious.

You ladies are all awesome and are going rock the rest of your whole30- I just know it!! Lil Angel you are so right about having your hubby's support, that is awesome that he has stuck to the plan and given up pop. You will be both be so proud on day 30 and can enjoy a little treat to celebrate! I made your taco salad and it was AMAZING!!

Thanks for the apple mustard pork burgers Anne- I am definitelly going to make those and that soup too.

I will pop in to see how you guys are doing and for recipe inspiration here, all the whole30 recipes are primal friendly too. You ladies are doing so well- way to go!!

xo Ainsley

Take care! I hope I did not sound harsh....that was not my intent. This is like my billionth attempt at a compliant Whole30, and I have always had my husband's support each time. He even cooks. It is always my own choice though to not go all the way (one time I even talked him out of finishing and felt like a big douche). Heck, I may still bomb! I am perfect by no means, and I am thoroughly addicted to food. I just wanted to let you know there is life after Whole30, and there is room for those foods once in awhile.

Lots of love and support on any road you choose. :)

Anne, my burgers came out like crap! LMAO. I stupidly decided that I was going to mash up avacado IN my burger. That was a bad idea. First of all, the consistancy was just not right and they fell apart, and second, as much as I love avacado, the burgber kinda tasted like ass. I was a bit dissapointed, but sh*t happens!

Anne, my burgers came out like crap! LMAO. I stupidly decided that I was going to mash up avacado IN my burger. That was a bad idea. First of all, the consistancy was just not right and they fell apart, and second, as much as I love avacado, the burgber kinda tasted like ass. I was a bit dissapointed, but sh*t happens!

Hahahaha. Hey, you're right --- it happens! You wouldn't know not to do that unless you did it, right? :) We've had two burgers that incorporated avocado in some way so far, but I can't say I'd ever think to mash it up in the meat. That's very creative of you. ;) Hahaha. In all honesty, maybe it didn't taste right because it was cooked? I've only ever had avocado cold or room temperature, never hot. Next time either a) make homemade guacamole (I use Alton Brown's recipe) and top the burger with cold guac or B) just top the burger with avocado slices. I guarantee it'll be better!

Archived