Can I eat dairy two days in a row during reintroduction?

ej23

Hello! I'm wondering if there's anything in the rules of the Whole30 that recommends against eating the same food group for two days in a row during the reintroduction period? What I would like to do is eat normal Whole30 foods plus dairy two days in a row, and then go back to the Whole30 diet like in normal reintroduction. I imagine I would go back to Whole30 for longer than the recommended 2-3 days, since I would be eating a new food group for longer than one day as well. (I'm thinking eat dairy for two days, then Whole30 for a week)

The only reason I want to do this is for convenience and the enjoyment of dairy at social events. I'm attending two brunches this weekend and I would love to have dairy at both so I could have the options of smoothies, yogurt, cheese, coffee with cream, etc. I don't personally see anything wrong with eating dairy two days in a row with the caveat of eating Whole30 for longer afterwards to get back to baseline, but not sure if there's any information out there that says two days is too much for reintroducing a food group. 

• Moderators

Sure, if that works for you.  I would say if you had very significant side effects of reintroduction the first day, you may want to not eat it the second day but if you feel fine, go for it.  You don't have to go back to Whole30 for longer afterward unless you don't feel good... maybe dairy doesn't bother you at all so a day back on the plan gets you feeling back to where you were on Day 30... that's okay, there's no defined time between reintroduction items, just that you eat compatible with the program again until you get back to that day 30 magic.

• 1 year later...

So my question is very similar: let's say I reintroduce dairy first. (I'm really missing my milk in my coffee). Let's say I just do one day. Then I go back to strict whole 30 for the recommended 2-3 days. What if it has no effect on me? Can I continue on with the other reintroductions while still consuming dairy, knowing it has no effect? What if I did more of the slow roll reintroduction and went a week or two between new introductions.

• Moderators
On 3/17/2023 at 6:50 PM, thegnat7795 said:

Can I continue on with the other reintroductions while still consuming dairy, knowing it has no effect?

This is not the ideal - sometimes people have problem with a food item in quantity - for instance, I can eat dairy very occasionally and not have any problems but if I eat it consistently over a few days, it's not good. In order to give yourself the best results of the rest of the reintros, it's recommended to put dairy back on the shelf until you're done.

For a slow roll intro, you could very easily try dairy daily for a few days/week and see what happens.